Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 3:55:37 PM EDT
Howdy, long time listener, first time caller to the Movies forum...

My 10+ year old RCA tube TV crapped out a few weeks ago, just sits there making a high-speed chirping noise.  I need a new one.  The old one was US parts assembled in Mexico.  I know it's a long shot, but are there any US-made TVs anymore?  I'm mainly looking for LCDs in the 20-28" range.  

Regarding that old TV is there anything parts wise worth saving out of it?  I've always wanted to make a computer monitor into a fishbowl, but I'm not sure it's really worth the hassle.  

Thanks, Slim.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious to know the answer myself
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I think Sony may be assembling some lcd panel sets in New Stanton, PA but I doubt for long.....probably move to Mexico.

As far as the fish bowl, I'll assume this is a 'table model'.  I'd disassemble the thing, remove the tube (Do NOT attempt this if you have no experience replacing crts...they can be dangerous to handle) and use the front of the case as a 'frame' in front of a conventional fish tank.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Use the old one as a target
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#4]
old ones are worthless, unless it can be fixed cheap and given to a kid as a dedicated video game monitor.  Feb 2009 (?) all the OTA signals are going digital, so the old tuner's are worthless.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Feb 2009 (?) all the OTA signals are going digital, so the old tuner's are worthless.

I heard it was originally 2008, then delayed to 2009.  Who knows if it will be delayed further.

I'm considering buying a new TV for the living room (thus a big screen of some sort) but I don't know diddly about them so I think I'll wait another 2 years and see WTF this is all about.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am ashamed to admit that I didn't even think of that.  

A co-worker recommended a Sony he'd seen at Sears recently, so I'll probably look at that one this weekend.  I'll be sure to note where it's made.  

I might end up using the front of the case as a picture frame.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Or throw it out the window of a 20 story hotel like in The Wall  (I always wanted to do that).
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I took the tube and circuit board out last night.  With the circuit board panel removed, I can fit my head inside from the bottom, so it's got potential for a Halloween costume...

I think I need to shoot the tube.  It's pretty heavy (thick) glass so that'll be interesting.  

I'm headed out later today to look for a new one.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a little 12" tv I bought as a backup set way back in 1994 or so.  All it does now is collect dust.   If the 2009 cut over date is solid this time, I think a week or 2 before the cutover from analog to digital I'll sell it on Craigslist.  The look on the buyer's face when he's watching it and all of a sudden it goes dark would be priceless
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top