Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Good flick.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I like it too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Rachel Ticotin is such a hot babe!!! Damn she's beautiful!

DE-FENS!  DE-FENS!!

Are you an officer-es?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:10:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can't stand Michael Douglas but Falling Down is one of my favorites.

Yep, +1.

Every time I see that asshat I want to staple his face, but that's one great movie.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:18:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I feel his pain when he was complaining and comparing the burger he was given with what was pictured on their menu board!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:27:32 AM EDT
[#10]
"One can of soda....How much?"

(gasp) "Fiddy cents"!

"It's been a pleasure patronizing your establishment"
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm sorry, we're no longer serving breakfast.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Funny movie, poignant, too.

I need to add that to my collection.

"Haven't you ever heard of the expression, 'The customer is always right?'"

"We don't have that policy here, Mr."

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#14]
one of my all time favs
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#15]
The question is, how close have you ever been to "falling down"?  There have been two times in my life that can qualify as near misses.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#16]
his haircut and glasses in that movie make him look like my high school bio teacher
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The question is, how close have you ever been to "falling down"?  There have been two times in my life that can qualify as near misses.

Once.  Glad I didn't go that way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#18]
i wonder if i should get that movie poster for my office.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#20]
There was a real hottie in that movie that most people don't know about, Dedee Pfeiffer, sister of Michelle Pfeiffer.  She played Sheila, the girl behind the counter at Whammyburger.  Browse her pics on your own so sirbordsalot311 won't have to add a BOTD warning to this thread.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I enjoyed it for entertainment value, but I despise it for the unambiguous message it was intented to convey.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
his haircut and glasses in that movie make him look like my high school bio teacher

Every guy in the 1950s looked like that...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Saw it once, years ago and I didn't like it. I'll tell you why.

The movie has a deeper meaning. It is about the social fabric of America, race, the sexes and in particular the demise of the white man.

White man goes to work at a humdrum job while supporting his family and keeping society going. He is unrespected, frowned upon by others and unappreciated. Even his own wife has no repsect for him. When he decides, all to late, to fight for what he thinks is right and attempt to take his country back he is hunted down and destroyed while even his own family betrays him. That was going to happen anyway. He loses his job, just as any white man would if he even spoke out about anything not PC and he must be destroyed for standing up to the minorities and other assoc scum of this country.  

The old white cop(Duvall IIRC) is intrumental in his destruction, sumbolic of the way the older white men of this country turned the country over to minorities and women while taking a big old dump on the generations following them. It took him to figure out this guy, capture and kill him, then retire to leave his dept(society) to a bunch of minorities and women.

I always look for deeper meanings in such books and movies, and they are usually there. Maybe I am wrong about my interpretation of this one but I don't think so.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The movie has a deeper meaning. It is about the social fabric of America, race, the sexes and in particular the demise of the white man.

White man goes to work at a humdrum job while supporting his family and keeping society going. He is unrespected, frowned upon by others and unappreciated. Even his own wife has no repsect for him. When he decides, all to late, to fight for what he thinks is right and attempt to take his country back he is hunted down and destroyed while even his own family betrays him. That was going to happen anyway. He loses his job, just as any white man would if he even spoke out about anything not PC and he must be destroyed for standing up to the minorities and other assoc scum of this country.  

The old white cop(Duvall IIRC) is intrumental in his destruction, sumbolic of the way the older white men of this country turned the country over to minorities and women while taking a big old dump on the generations following them. It took him to figure out this guy, capture and kill him, then retire to leave his dept(society) to a bunch of minorities and women.

I always look for deeper meanings in such books and movies, and they are usually there. Maybe I am wrong about my interpretation of this one but I don't think so.

Damn it man.  Sometimes a rose is just a rose.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Bah, if it was a minority playing the main part we'd still find something to bitch about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you for contributing to Micheal Douglas's attempt to make the world scared of gun owners...............He portayed a psycho bastard that resorted to gun violence very well.............and you swallowed it, hook line and sinker.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn it man.  Sometimes a rose is just a rose.

Sometimes, but not in this case.

I could write a lengthy paper about some other classic movies like "Cuckoo's nest" which is really about the maternalism of American society and neutering men. In the end, the man who stands up is not just castrated, he is lobotomized, ie mentally castrated for attemtping to get men to get their balls back. She couldn't have it and used minorities to do her dirty work for her. I could go on.
And if you're not careful, I might.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=569&iGalleryUnq=140&iImageUnq=43794

I live about 200 yards from where that picture was taken.

You live in a dump?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Bah, if it was a minority playing the main part we'd still find something to bitch about.

But that wasn't the point. They might have had a minority actor but that would have destroyed the message of the story, hence we would not have understood it.

Fact of the matter is, most people only see one inch in front of their face and I am correct in my interpretation.

Watch it again with my interpretation in mind and tell me that is not what it means.
Some of you should take some related college courses and you would understand exactly what I am talking about.

It is not my message, it is the writer's.
That said, I am almost surprised they made movies out of this and "Cuckoo's Nest".

ETA: Typically, you have to read such a book or watch such a movie 2-3 times to see the unerlying meaning. And you must be looking for it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Wow, that is a very poignant take on Falling Down.  That was also my take on the movie.

You sound like you have a clue and actually care about the important issues today.

Good on ya Devil Doc.  It was refreshing to read that.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Fact of the matter is, most people only see one inch in front of their face and I am correct in my interpretation.

Watch it again with my interpretation in mind and tell me that is not what it means.
Some of you should take some related college courses and you would understand exactly what I am talking about.

That said, I am almost surprised they made movies out of this and "Cuckoo's Nest".

I never said I disagree with you, I simply said that we always find something to bitch about.

I could see an underlying message in the film, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

He also goes on to kill a homosexual hating, Nazi luvin' white supremacist in that movie.  That goes against the grain of the your assessment of the movie and it's meaning.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never said I disagree with you, I simply said that we always find something to bitch about.

I could see an underlying message in the film, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

No doubt.
I'm not bitching, just posting my observations as it is IMO what we should be discussing in a thread about the movie.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:35:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm not bitching, just posting my observations as it is IMO what we should be discussing in a thread about the movie.

I value your opinions, don't let me discourage you from posting them. You always add something worthwhile to any discussion and this one is no exception.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#37]
The movie is about a guy that is a little fragile mentally and he pops his cork when he gets shit on one too many times.

Actually, he was about as sane as everyone else in the movie.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He also goes on to kill a homosexual hating, Nazi luvin' white supremacist in that movie.  That goes against the grain of the your assessment of the movie and it's meaning.

Absolutely not.

You're average conservative white guy doesn't even think you and I should have mil rifles.
Now it has been about 15 years since I saw the movie so I don't remember every detail and specifically do not remember that part. Perhaps it was injected by the producer and director, perhaps not.
I'll take a stab though:
The NAZI was a potential ally but far to extreme and is it not part of the failing of the white man in this country to fall down upon those so extreme without the foresight to be looking for allies and changing the way extremists think?
Maybe it has to do with the way we defeated the NAZIs in WWI and subsequently went head over heels into liberalism here in this country.

Not sure, I would have to see it again and I really don't want to watch it again.

Typcially there are things the authors try to get across that I do not understand however, while I do tend to understand the basic premise and flow of the book or movie.

Like I said, watch it again with what I have said in mind and tell me that is not what it is about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The movie is about a guy that is a little fragile mentally and he pops his cork when he gets shit on one too many times.

Only to those who are simple minded or are afraid to gaze into the abyss of their soul.

No offense, just an observation.
Anyone can be educated, but they have to be willing to open their eyes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only to those who are simple minded or are afraid to gaze into the abyss of their soul.

WTF did you just say?

Spend a lot of time gazing into the abyss do you?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF did you just say?

Yabba, dabba, doo?

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I agree.  While I liked the first half of the movie, it just got more and more creepy, and at the end of it, I generally felt ashamed to be a conservative white guy with a voice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Spend a lot of time gazing into the abyss do you?

Always.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Who cares about the political commentary?  Sandra (Rachel Ticotin) is just plain hot!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Who cares about the political commentary?  Sandra (Rachel Ticotin) is just plain hot!!!

I rest my case...

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#46]
I originally saw it in the theater and loved it for the gags and one liners.  I bought it recently on DVD (got it for $5 at Wally World) and now, 15 years later....have a much different view of the flick.
I think drjarhead is about 90% "right on".  I'm not sure I agree with the oppinon that Robert Duvall's character is symbolic of "older white men of this country".  I believe he even related to "De-Fens" and took no pleasure or satisfaction in killing him.  He "retired" in discust ("Fuck you very much, sir").
I've experienced some of what De-Fens delt with (ex and custody "issues" with my children......thankfully neither aren't currently as "problamatic" as what was portrayed in the movie.....and I never felt the need to "snap" ).

After recently re-watching the movie, I mourn for William Foster (De-Fens).
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely not.

You're average conservative white guy doesn't even think you and I should have mil rifles.
Now it has been about 15 years since I saw the movie so I don't remember every detail and specifically do not remember that part. Perhaps it was injected by the producer and director, perhaps not.
I'll take a stab though:
The NAZI was a potential ally but far to extreme and is it not part of the failing of the white man in this country to fall down upon those so extreme without the foresight to be looking for allies and changing the way extremists think?
Maybe it has to do with the way we defeated the NAZIs in WWI and subsequently went head over heels into liberalism here in this country.

Not sure, I would have to see it again and I really don't want to watch it again.

Typcially there are things the authors try to get across that I do not understand however, while I do tend to understand the basic premise and flow of the book or movie.

Like I said, watch it again with what I have said in mind and tell me that is not what it is about.

drjarhead,
Respectfully, I think your conclusion is incorrect.  His killing of Nick, the Surplus Store Owner shows that he (the white guy who's being used like a doormat by everyone else) hates a anti-homo, anti-woman, anti-semitic white supremacist.  Quoting you're earlier post...

-snip-
.......just as any white man would if he even spoke out about anything not PC and he must be destroyed for standing up to the minorities and other assoc scum of this country.

Your implication is that he is fighting against anyone who is not like him.  But I disagree because even when he finds someone that actually feels that way, he kills them.  And as far as not remembering that part, here is something to refresh your memory....

Frederic Forrest  playing Nick, the Surplus Store Owner , he also played "Blue Duck" on Lonesome Dove.

Nick, Surplus Store Owner: [showing D-Fens his selection of hiking boots] Let's see what we got. These here are the top of the line. Scientifically engineered and all that crap. Guaranteed by some Sierra Club asshole not to hurt a chipmunk IF you step on it! Personally, I think they're for pussies and [turns his head towards two homosexuals frequenting his store] FAGGOTS! Now THESE are Vietnam jungle boots. Cost you half as much, last you twice as long, and are great for stomping [turns his head towards the two again] QUEERS! 'Course when you're done you have to clean out the waffle with a stick, but what the hell, you can't have everything, right? Am I right or wrong?
Speaking to Detective Sandra Torres when she asks him some questions

Nick: Why don't they call you guys officer-esses?
Sandra: I beg your pardon?
Nick: You know, like actress. Something to signify... You know.
Sandra: Oh. I guess they feel a police officer is a police officer. Not a... You know.
Nick: Okay then. Sorry I couldn't have been helpful, Officer-ess.

In the back room

Nick: You know what was in this? Zyklon-B! You remember? What the Nazis had? Listen!
[Shakes the can, a slight rattle is barely audible]
Nick: Empty! This was used, man! This was actually used. I wonder how many kikes this little can took out! Huh! Think about it!

Nick: Fuck you. Who the fuck are you? Are you fucking with me? I...
Bill Foster: I am just disagreeing with you. In America, we have the freedom of speech. The right to disagree.
Nick: Fuck you and your freedom.

He also goes on to use some other disparaging references to people of other races, but I won't post them here cause I'm at work and Big Brother will likely come down pretty hard on me for even typing them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely not.

I'll take a stab though:

drjarhead,
Respectfully, I think your conclusion is incorrect.

Sure. I might need to see it again to debate every specific point. Not sure that leads to any different interpretation of the movie.
But what is your point?
What do you think it means?

His killing of Nick, the Surplus Store Owner shows that he (the white guy who's being used like a doormat by everyone else) hates a anti-homo, anti-woman, anti-semitic white supremacist.  Quoting you're earlier post...
-snip-
.......just as any white man would if he even spoke out about anything not PC and he must be destroyed for standing up to the minorities and other assoc scum of this country.

Your implication is that he is fighting against anyone who is not like him.  But I disagree because even when he finds someone that actually feels that way, he kills them.  And as far as not remembering that part, here is something to refresh your memory....

Actually, no that is not my implication at all.
What I would say is that he is trying, as an act of desperation to fight against the ills of society and restore some sense of order to the universe. To restore a sense of family, of respect, of decency. In the end all he can do is lash out against them all but it is far too late for that and he is destroyed himself in the end. By his own "Greatest Generation" types.

You see these people as individuals apparently where they are representative of various demographic groups or subgroups.
And taken in that context, with current events as a backdrop, one only has to look at events such as the border crisis, Katrina and NOLA, etc to see this in a contemporary perspective.

You seem to think that I am painting the character as a racist, sexist, homophobe when I am not. However, in the end what matters here is what the author's intent was and I am making an educated guess as to that. Possibly more of a reflection of what he thought society was, and should return to, when dominated by white conservative males though.

While I may be wrong about minor issues, and specifically do not remember the part you are referring to(been along time since I saw this), I stand by my overall assessment of this movie.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I originally saw it in the theater and loved it for the gags and one liners.  I bought it recently on DVD (got it for $5 at Wally World) and now, 15 years later....have a much different view of the flick.
I think drjarhead is about 90% "right on".  I'm not sure I agree with the oppinon that Robert Duvall's character is symbolic of "older white men of this country".  I believe he even related to "De-Fens" and took no pleasure or satisfaction in killing him.  He "retired" in discust ("Fuck you very much, sir").
I've experienced some of what De-Fens delt with (ex and custody "issues" with my children......thankfully neither aren't currently as "problamatic" as what was portrayed in the movie.....and I never felt the need to "snap" ).

After recently re-watching the movie, I mourn for William Foster (De-Fens).

Duvall's character may have had some remorse in doing so but seemed to have a sense of tragic inevitability over the demise of Douglas. Similar to what I saw of adult males in this country during the 60s and 70s when the demographic and societal changes, which we deal with now, began.

He may have been unhappy to do so but he contributed to the result nonetheless and turned the country over without more than a minor complaint.

It is hard to ignore the parallels given what I have seen over the past 47 years of my life. Anyone who lived thru these decades would have to have hid their head in the sand to not see that.

Another question, given the circumstances and even what some of your posted at the beginning of this thread: Why do you think Douglas played this role?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#50]
quotes from homeless guy in the park:

"come on! ya gotta give me something, I havent eaten in three days! uuuh umm except for this"

"you got two bags, I dont have anything, now is that fair? whats in those bags anyway? I could sell those bags and live off the money for a week! come on gimme one of those bags!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top