Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2005 5:06:18 PM EDT
Braved a snowstorm to go see this and it was well worth it.

The acting was terrific, Matt Damon and Cloney were especially good in my opinion.
The plot was very good and made for an intresting movie.  The key word was movie, this is not a documentary.

I will look forward to the release on DVD.

What did you guys think of it?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't seen it yet but I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
SPOILER BELOW
I saw it today.  It was a bit anti-big oil (and anti-republican) but was a taught drama.  Excellent work.  The scene where the little boy dies had me in tears.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#3]
F!ck George Clooney.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like this rates right up there with "Runaway Jury."
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I am sure it is a "well done" movie.

The people behind the movie are still Libtards of the highest order.

I would never pay to see it/support Clooney and his bunch of butt pirates.  Sorry butt pirates.  

I will probably pay to see another movie and sneak into "Syriana".

My wife and I have been doing this for years, our way of not supporting Libtards.

Perhaps I will donate to that Narnia movie or the latest "Blackploitation" movie.    

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#6]

I didn't find it's political leaning to be to disruptive, as the politicians and oil people were portrayed in the usual fashion. Given that I have just learned up on the Sarbanes-Oxley act, and corporate finance is of interest to me, the accountant section of the movie wasn't unbearable... but was quite boring.

The portrayal of the dumb, angry, jealous muslim teen as a suicide bomber really struck me... Strange, how religion can be such a positive and negative force at the same time.

Blegh. In the end, I give this movie a B. It's got decent portrayal of real issues in our world, but it's kind of boring... I didn't give it a C, because though it could have easily delved into "neo conz are teh evil!" it didn't.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
From what I read about it, the politics were kind of incoherent.  It railed against big oil and US intelligence services propping up autocrats for the sake of smooth business at the expense of a nascent democracy movement.  But in real life, did Hollywood types support the push to bring democracy to a middle east tyranny?  No fucking way, they villified it simply because it was ordered and promoted by George W. Bush.

So spare me Hollywood with these sorts of preachy sanctimonious movies about how the US are bad guys in the middle east.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess im cold hearted, my take was i am glad their are some amoral SOBs out there working ruthlessly to keep the oil coming to the US and if they make a few bucks good for them
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I guess im cold hearted, my take was i am glad their are some amoral SOBs out there working ruthlessly to keep the oil coming to the US and if they make a few bucks good for them

I saw the screenwriter on Charlie Rose and that was basically his take.  He still came to some lefty conclusions but he seemed to have done a lot more thinking about the issues involved than most and sounded like he tried to make a pretty nuanced movie.  I think he said something like "Oil's important, and we need to stop pretending it's not".  

Looking forward to seeing Syriana and Munich.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

Without oil, I can't go to work and I can't heat my house.  Just about everything I own is made from plastic, and there's oil in everything, including the ink in today's newspaper and the paint on my walls.  Without oil, UPS can't deliver Aimpoints and quad-rails to my house.

I thank God we have "evil" corporations, "evil" CIA agents, and a damn good military to protect our oil supply.  If there's only enough oil to go around for one nation, I say we need to make sure that nation is the USA.  I really don't care about how the oil industry/American military complex hurts "indigenous" peoples around the world.  Without oil, we would be living in tents and caves like the Indians did.  Oil IS that important.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#11]
STRONGLY DISLIKED IT. A coworker talked me into going today...

What was with the terrorist kid? Ah poor little guy, he's just had some unfortunate experiences and he really had no choice but to go down that road. ...Screw that. Terrorism is wrong, and there is no justifying killing innocent people.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
STRONGLY DISLIKED IT. A coworker talked me into going today...

What was with the terrorist kid? Ah poor little guy, he's just had some unfortunate experiences and he really had no choice but to go down that road. ...Screw that. Terrorism is wrong, and there is no justifying killing innocent people.

You have to realize that the Egyptian was Satan. He was temptation. He was a beautiful creature who came as a friend and brought his taint to a vulnerable young man.

I neither condone nor excuse what the young man did, but we must understand that we must seek the roots, not the buds.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Heh. Taint.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Without oil, I can't go to work and I can't heat my house.  Just about everything I own is made from plastic, and there's oil in everything, including the ink in today's newspaper and the paint on my walls.  Without oil, UPS can't deliver Aimpoints and quad-rails to my house.

I thank God we have "evil" corporations, "evil" CIA agents, and a damn good military to protect our oil supply.  If there's only enough oil to go around for one nation, I say we need to make sure that nation is the USA.  I really don't care about how the oil industry/American military complex hurts "indigenous" peoples around the world.  Without oil, we would be living in tents and caves like the Indians did.  Oil IS that important.

Interesting posts. I'm not disagreeing with either of you, I just find the points...interesting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting posts. I'm not disagreeing with either of you, I just find the points...interesting.

It's just the way it is.  I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I wondered why he drove the missle into the tanker/barge?

Why couldnt he just fire the missle from a distance?  Or did Clooney mess with the settings on the missle?

Sorry I dont know missles
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I wondered why he drove the missile into the tanker/barge?

Why couldnt he just fire the missile from a distance?  Or did Clooney mess with the settings on the missile?

Sorry I don't know missiles

i believe Clooney said the missile was programmed to travel 10 ft above the ground so it was worthless as a surface to air missile  but the boat they were driving  was not exactly tall
at least I think it was supposed to be a surface to air missle  it was  supposed to be a stinger wasn't it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why couldnt he just fire the missile from a distance?  Or did Clooney mess with the settings on the missile?

i believe Clooney said the missile was programmed to travel 10 ft above the ground so it was worthless as a surface to air missile  but the boat they were driving  was not exactly tall
at least I think it was supposed to be a surface to air missle  it was  supposed to be a stinger wasn't it?

That is what it looked like, a stinger.  Now I remember when Clooney said it would not travel above 10 feet. Thanks for jogging my memory.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I saw it today.  It was a bit anti-big oil (and anti-republican) but was a taught taut drama.  Excellent work.  The scene where the little boy dies had me in tears.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#20]
boring, cliched, and had some completely pointless shit
like the old black guy. I'm assuming he was the lawyer's father? He served ZERO purpose in the movie
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was, but then they talked about it having a shape charge designed to go through multiple inches of steel which would seem more appropriate for an anti-tank/armor missile. Wouldn't an anti aircraft missile be better off with a spherical explosion that sends out shrapnel?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#22]
It was a pretty decent movie.  They didn't develop the Pakistani youths character very well.  He goes only in a short time from just an oil-field worker playing soccer to a suicide bomber, probably not very realistic, but I guess they'd have to fit it into the movie somehow.  One part was true, the Arabs treat the Indo-Paks like complete shit over there, and the Indo-Pak muslims still look up to them so much
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I've avoided anything with cLOONEY since he made his hateful remarks about Charlton Heston.

Also, I have no interest in having these clowns preach to me about oil and politics.

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.  However, I'll pass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top