Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 4:46:22 AM EDT
I've got an older Epson projector (1999) that was used for powerpoint presentations, etc. It's rated at 550 Lumens, which was the bomb back then. The problem I have is that there is about 25% bulb life left. I was going to mount it on the wall for Home Theater use, but I can't decide if I'd be better served getting a somewhat newer, more powerful projector?
The bulb for this thing runs about $350, or at least it did when I replaced it 3 years ago and I don't want to put that kind of money into it when a more powerful used model may not cost much more. What would you consider the minimum amount of Lumens needed for a Home Theater setup? Will 550 be enough?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My Infocus X2 is 1500 lumens and still washes out
if the shades are open on a bright day .

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:08:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I would upgrade at this point. Don't waste the money on the bulb. Do you have complete light control of the room? If you do then you can get away with lfewer lumens. I wouldn't go less than 850 to 1000. If you don't have complete light control then you may have to go more. InFocus is known for their light cannons. I have a Sharp 12K and it's in a light controlled room so I can keep it set to the highest contrast and lowest output settings which definitely gives the picture more depth. You should also factor in your screen size and material. If you have a lower output PJ then consider a Dalite Hi Power screen which has a lot of gain.

Let us know how you make out.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Also with 75% of the lamp life gone you'll get nowhere near 550 lumens out of it.  I probably wouldn't make it the cenerpiece of my home theater, but I wouldn't throw it out either.  It could make a good second screen for a SuperBowl party.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top