Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2013 4:16:00 PM EDT

So i went and watched the movie today. Ugh, it was bad!!! Some of the comdeic stuff was good but the movie was BAD!!! I am all for a good western but this.....GOD...it killed the Lone Ranger. If you have to see it then rent it. Dont pay good money to see it at the theatre.

Oh and its 2 hours 39 minutes long!!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not gonna see it, the reviews are scathing.

And is it just me or are more and more movies just too damn long these days?
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It was painfully predictable from beginning to end, every step of the way.   Hammer's character was idiotically naive and idealistic, garnering him no sympathy whatever.   The stunts were too numerous, slick, and improbable in the extreme.   The Lone Ranger, as a concept, is long past its prime and laughably anachronistic.  It draws on a franchise that is only fondly remembered by 70-year-olds at best.  

The only bright spot was Depp's comic relief, and you got a vague feeling that you've kinda already seen it before in the Pirates movies.  Tonto was the only interesting character in the film.   The others were pure stereotypes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not seventy but I do remember The Lone Ranger from TV in the 1950's.  

It was a program for children, as in three to five year old children.  By the age of ten, you had long since outgrown The Lone Ranger.  It was part of an era where kids would say, "Let's play cowboys and indians".  It was one of very few programs where an American indian was a "good guy".  At that age, 5, no one really recognized the socio-politics of this.

It is only as an adult I will say Jay Silverheels' "Tonto" was a more interesting character than the Clayton Moore's "Lone Ranger".  As a kid, everyone wanted to be the Lone Ranger, Tonto was second best.  No one wanted to be the bad guys.

It was simple entertainment for young children.

Did you, as an adult expect anything more?  Why?  

Also, I'd like to know how this ever got produced.  What was the agenda that resulted in a children's program being remade into a movie marketed to young adults?
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like it will make the 1980 movie look good in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got finished watching it and can honestly say it sucked something horrible.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
This concept would have made a good gritty realism type movie. Think in the vein of the True Grit remake, or a Michael Mann western. It could have been great if it wasnt a disney vehicle to put pirates of the carribean in the desert.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Depp, but I'm like everyone else, seemed like it was The Lone Pirates of the Texas Desert.....

kids liked it, so that is worth it....

everyone else, RENT..and maybe
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wondering, but....

Can we now call Johnny Depp Johnny Derp?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top