Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2012 4:45:01 PM EDT
Finally saw "The Mist" last night.  I really enjoyed the short story when I was a kid.  At the time I read a lot of Stephen King books, back before I realized he wasn't a very good writer.

Not bad.  Definitely had the B movie feel that goes along with most King movies, but did a good job in bringing the story to life.  I felt it kept pretty close to the story until the last 5 minutes.  WTF???  Why???
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Finally saw "The Mist" last night.  I really enjoyed the short story when I was a kid.  At the time I read a lot of Stephen King books, back before I realized he wasn't a very good writer.

Not bad.  Definitely had the B movie feel that goes along with most King movies, but did a good job in bringing the story to life.  I felt it kept pretty close to the story until the last 5 minutes.  WTF???  Why???

It was as if they ran out of money at the end and said, what else have these guys done?  Stick the ending from one of those movies in there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
According to the director he had a better ideal than the book.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was right in line with the rest of King's work.... Crap

I still can not understand why he has such a following.  So many better writers out there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Finally saw "The Mist" last night.  I really enjoyed the short story when I was a kid. At the time I read a lot of Stephen King books, back before I realized he wasn't a very good writer.

ROFL no shit right?  I used to LOVE his books in highschool.  The Dark tower and tie ins, the short stories.

Now as an adult, I can't make it 10 pages into stories I used to love of his.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Stephen King is a good writer.  He just doesn't know how to write an ending.

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the ending of the short story was great.  I haven't seen the movie.  I've avoided it just because I liked the story so much.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#7]
wordy authors books make horrible screen plays.

in a fight always go down swinging
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#8]
It was on the other night, I noticed that it has a large portion of the cast from The Walking Dead. ( to rephrase that, The Walking Dead has a lot of cast members that were in The Mist )

It's so funny how for many years fans of his books always say that the movies always suck compared to the books. Has anyone ever thought that maybe the stories that King writes aren't that great to start with.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I liked the movie version just fine.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
How did the book (short story) end?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#11]
" I felt it kept pretty close to the story until the last 5 minutes. WTF??? Why???"

Irony..

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:05:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It was on the other night, I noticed that it has a large portion of the cast from The Walking Dead. ( to rephrase that, The Walking Dead has a lot of cast members that were in The Mist )

It's so funny how for many years fans of his books always say that the movies always suck compared to the books. Has anyone ever thought that maybe the stories that King writes aren't that great to start with.

Same director as the first season of Walking Dead, too, isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Both.  I would have prefered the open ended ending, like the story.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How did the book (short story) end?

I don't remember exactly, but it's pretty open ended.  

They're traveling south and see the big monster pass over them, like in the movie.  But the book ends with them still traveling, and they think they heard a voice briefly while flipping around the radio stations, so there may be other survivors out there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, I enjoyed him while I was young (high school and before), but I don't think I could read his stuff as an adult.  Horrible deus ex machina style endings.  But many of his characters are just terrible too.  Too many cheesy cookie cutter characters built entirely off of bad stereotypes and cliches.

I still like The Stand, but I wish he would rewrite it completely removing anything with Mother Abigail and ditching the 'hand of God' ending.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#17]
King thought the end of the movie was great. So did I.

I love "bleak."
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not too fond of the movie but I did like the ending.

I would of found a way to screw the blonde though...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
King thought the end of the movie was great. So did I.

I love "bleak."

Go figure, since King finally writes a good ending and doesn't recognize it as such.  

How is the real ending not bleak?  The reader is left to assume that world has been overrun by the mist and the creatures within it, and at best there are a few small pockets of human resistance.

The movie ending is basically the opposite.  The world is saved, but some moron shot his kid 30 seconds too soon.  It felt like a M. Night Shyamalan ending, which isn't a compliment in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
About the only King book based movie I like is
Dreamcatcher

Just not a S King fan.
Maybe it stems from spending a few nights as a kid watching
The Langoliers only for the whole thing to end up a total crap-fest.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I was pleasantly surprised with the movie but I never go into King based movies expecting much.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I liked the movie. I thought the ending was great, ultra-depressing. I thought the movie did a good job of showing the extremes of having too much faith and what can happen when you lose all faith. I also kind of like Thom Jane, Jeffrey DeMunn, and Laurie whats-her-face, the last two being in Walking Dead.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#23]
ending did suck
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With Stephen King, he starts with a fantastic concept (IT, The Stand, etc,) and somehow runs it into the ground about half-way through. The first half of The Stand? Filled to the brim with apocalypse goodness. First half of IT? A murderous monster clown killing children. What's not to love?

But then, the second half comes. This is where King takes a simple, fun concept... and turns it into Good vs Evil on a massive scale completely unnecessary to the original concepts. Did IT really have to battle a Space Turtle god?

However... the ending to the movie Mist was excellent. Incredibly dark on so many levels. The idea that he killed them for nothing, that they left the store for nothing. In fact, everything David Dreyton did was for nothing. He was a terrible leader and continually got his crew killed for reasons that vanished as quickly as his manpower.

The end just followed that track to its logical conclusion. No good deed goes unpunished.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:47:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm not too fond of the movie but I did like the ending.

I would of found a way to screw the blonde though...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

They did in the book... but Darabant was going for a "B-Movie" feel, so copious and lucid sex scenes weren't in the cards.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#26]
My wife and I saw this when it was on the other week - we had never seen it before or read the short story.
My wife hates bible thumpers, so she wanted to shoot the TV when that woman in the store was "preaching".

The ending for us was a total WTF, but not necessarily in a bad sense.  Too often, we expect movies to have the perfect ending where it goes as we would expect.  This one did not do that, so it was a nice change.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:53:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My wife and I saw this when it was on the other week - we had never seen it before or read the short story.
My wife hates bible thumpers, so she wanted to shoot the TV when that woman in the store was "preaching".

The ending for us was a total WTF, but not necessarily in a bad sense.  Too often, we expect movies to have the perfect ending where it goes as we would expect.  This one did not do that, so it was a nice change.

SPOILER

For a real mind fuck, consider every single thing the religious woman said was accurate, even down to the part where she said they had to kill the kid to lift the curse. Only after he killed the kid did the fog lift
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Brilliant ending. If it had ended like the book it would have sucked.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SPOILER

For a real mind fuck, consider every single thing the religious woman said was accurate, even down to the part where she said they had to kill the kid to lift the curse. Only after he killed the kid did the fog lift

...... The crazy bitch was right
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SPOILER

you're right!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SPOILER

you're right!

Not only did she accurately predict coming events, she also predicted how it would end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top