Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2011 3:07:17 PM EDT
Looking at going to one of the satelite providers. The local cable companies are a lot mor expensive even after the introductory offers that both Direct TV and Dish are offering. Looking for opinions on which one to go with.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Ford vs Chevy, etc....

Some people like one over the other, and vice versa.  

I started out with Direct, and switched to Dish about 15 years ago so I could watch "Speed Channel", which Direct didn't have at the time.

Pick one, get it.  You'll be happy with either, honestly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had both.  Dish was better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have dish. It's ok.

I saw that direct is getting rid of speed, Fox sports and others. That would suck.

Nothing beats fios though. I wish I could have that still. In an hoa that is dish exclusively.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have dish. It's ok.

I saw that direct is getting rid of speed, Fox sports and others. That would suck.

Nothing beats fios though. I wish I could have that still. In an hoa that is dish exclusively.

The FUCK?

As much NASCAR as it spews out every week, I still manage to get my F1 fix on Speed during the season, but now they're going to yank it from the list?  If they don't have an alternative channel for me to catch F1 on, I just might have to jump ship.

If that's what they want...
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Little brother has direct, and it also looks like there is a dispute with fox (or at least fox sports) so you may not have that as well, in the near future.

I have dish and I am very happy; I pay 1/2 of what he pays for the fox sports package, calls for any sort of problem are answered fast and if need be (equipment upgrade) is delivered fast.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have dish. It's ok.

+1 for Fios. Too bad they don't have it down here in Charlotte. I had it in Philly and loved it.

Cable is too damn expensive. Satellite is much better video quality; no experience w Dish, no complaints about DirecTV. Dropping Speed would be a very poor decision on Directv's part!
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 3:59:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had both and like DirecTV quite a bit more. The Fox issue has been resolved, so those channels are all staying.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have dish. It's ok.

The FUCK?

As much NASCAR as it spews out every week, I still manage to get my F1 fix on Speed during the season, but now they're going to yank it from the list?  If they don't have an alternative channel for me to catch F1 on, I just might have to jump ship.

If that's what they want...

What you saw was a standoff over a new contract.  Like usual  they came to an agreement.   But that did not stop Dish from using  it to try to win new customers.   Just wait Dish will probably  have a similar standoff with fox or some other network in the future.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
directv has a better channel lineup for me and my wife. plus i like their customer service and hd channel selection.

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I've had both.  Dish was better.

I've had both.

DirecTV was just slightly less hated.  When Dish called and asked why I canceled, I gave them a scripted answer.  Right now I'm almost ready to go to my local Cable provider.  The problem is they're priced just slightly worse than DirecTV.

I really hate my choices.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had both, currently have Dish.  What I noticed is that Dish is less reliable, with glitches and outages occurring more often.  I get annoyed with the little things, such as working the DVR.  I think I'll switch back soon, although I'm not sure exactly when.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
........................ What I noticed is that Dish is less reliable, with glitches and outages occurring more often ............................

Make sure your dish is aimed/metered-in/peaked properly - makes a BIG difference.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
We had Dish. Upgraded to the next higher package so we'd have The NFL Network. Went to watch a Colts game and no NFL network !?  Wife called Dish, lady said  "your package has been change. We have the right to do that." Canceled Dish. Bought a digital antenae. Have ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC clear as a bell. FOR FREE!
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
DirecTV.

Only time I have had any issues was during some serious snowstorms.

Then you just start working through the stuff on the DVR you recorded 2 months ago but never got around to watching.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:45:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used a antenna and digital converter box for the past two years. I started of receiving about thirty channels and it has now dwindled down to two. One plays music videos and the other is mostly paid programming. Some of the crap they try to sell.......

Going to give Dish Network a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top