Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:21:51 AM EDT
My Fiancee is catholic and I was raised baptist...  

We found a Old American Catholic Priest that would be glad to do our wedding in the historic chapel we picked.  But will the Roman Catholic Church accept this marriage???

I'M NOT LOOKING TO CONVERT TO CATHOLICISM.  But it is very important to my future wife that our marriage be accepted by the Catholic Church so that our kids can be baptized.

Also, our wedding is going to be in Fort Worth, we live in Dallas.  So finding a Catholic church that we could join in Dallas to attend and then have Priest drive to Fort Worth has been a challenge to say the least.  Any suggestions?

EPOCH

NEW QUESTION:

So... can someone tell me if a Catholic Deacon can perform a marriage at a historic Chapel?  I am getting conflicting answers from the churchs, chapels, and dioceses.

Some say only at a Catholic church... Others say yes to the chapel if it's been used as a church in the past, hence a historic chapel, and some say it's up to the local dioceses but then the dioceses say it's a  formal policy...

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#1]
To Marry outside the "faith" as a Catholic, you and she are required
to attend a pre marital, Catholic class. Then the church will "recognize"
your marriage.  It's helps to be married in a Catholic church for her sake.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
To Marry outside the "faith" as a Catholic, you and she are required
to attend a pre marital, Catholic class. Then the church will "recognize"
your marriage.  It's helps to be married in a Catholic church for her sake.

already checked into that.  Local Roman Catholic church wanted 3 meetings with their Priest.  3 "dinner&discussion nights" with a nice Catholic couple that the church picks.  And a 3 day weekend retreat sponsored by the church that costs $200 per person ($400 total).  Then add the priest fee for the wedding if they will do it at all considering it's a chapel and not a church.

The Old American Catholic priest wants to meet with us 3-4 times.  I like him alot!  Super friendly guy.  Has no problems with historic chapel.  And only charges $300 for the wedding.

I'm just unsure if the Roman catholic church will accept a marriage performed by an Old American Catholic Priest.

EPOCH  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The "Old American" Catholic Church is a small schismatic sect.... so they're not recognized by the Catholic Church for matters of marriage etc.

A quick way to find a parish near you is to check out www.masstimes.org, key in the zip code nearest you and up will pop every parish and contact info nearest to that.

Then you just call to inquire about "Pre-Cana" classes...typically it's a weekend series of classes to help the couple with all the practical details of relationship, communication, faith, planning the wedding, putting things on the table as far as what each of you believe and expect of marriage and each other.... things dating or engaged couples rarely face until it's 'too late'.

God bless on the big decision. Or as the Russians say "a man ought to think once before opening a business, twice before going to war, but three times before marrying some one."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
So... can someone tell me if a Catholic Deacon can perform a marriage at a historic Chapel?  I am getting conflicting answers from the churchs, chapels, and dioceses.

Some say only at a Catholic church... Others say yes to the chapel if it's been used as a church in the past, hence a historic chapel, and some say it's up to the local dioceses but then the dioceses say it's a  formal policy...

ETA: guess I should add this to the first post...

EPOCH
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ETA: guess I should add this to the first post...

EPOCH

Old American Catholic Church priest = bad idea.  That would be marrying outside the Catholic Church.

As for a deacon witnessing the marriage... call the diocese and ask for a dispensation from having it in a Catholic Church building, but with a Catholic deacon witnessing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#6]

My cousin was married by the deacon of his church.  Him and his wife are both Catholic.

Shok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top