Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 9:21:44 PM EDT
Bit of background -- I was born into the Universal Church of Christ, raised in a combination of the UCC, Presbyterian, and Methodist churches, but I don't remember much of any of them other than the typical "here's the story of jonah and the whale" type sunday-school stuff.

So.  Here's the question:

What are the differences between the different denominations?  What makes Lutherans different than Presbyterians different than Methodists different than Baptists different than Southern Baptists, etc?

I truly do not mean to offend, but they all seem to the same to me.  So why so many different names?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question. Many share the same common beliefs but have differences in some things. Sometimes its because men have itching ears that need to be tickled so someone breaks off and starts a group dedicated to that. If the difference isnt outright heresy I think we shoudl strive to focus on the common. For example I am a "Reformed Baptist" and get along fine with Presbyterians though we have a different view on Baptism. They really dont like us using the term reformed but its not a major issue.

www.carm.org/ is referenced by many here and is a decent place to give you some info.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes the only difference between denominations is only in the way the church politics. Among mainstream denominations the essential doctrine of faith is the same. There may be some differences on peripherial issues that are not really that important. The basics are saved by grace alone, through faith alone from God alone. There is nothing that we can bring to the table that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes a man has to walk the path himself......................

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:59:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I think each denomination or movement was started when a specific point came to life.  For example,

Lutherans, with Luther's understanding of "The just shall live by faith."

Baptists, with the emphasis on the finished work of the cross.

The Charismatic movement that sprang from the Azusa Street event,

... and so forth.

There are core doctrines of Christianity that are not negotiable, such as the Triune God, deity of Yeshua, salvation by faith, the virgin birth, etc.  These are essential in defining the Christian faith.

Then there are peripheral doctrines, such as interpretation of prophecy, gifts such as "speaking in tongues", and so forth that in themselves don't define what basic Christianity is.

In the essential doctrines the various Christian denominations have unity.  In the non-essential doctrines we have liberty.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
denominations are worse than gangs.  bickering and shit over relativly inconsequential issues when they should all be worrying about much biggers ones.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:06:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
denominations are worse than gangs.  bickering and shit over relativly inconsequential issues when they should all be worrying about much biggers ones.  

If the people allow denominational lines to interfere with unity in the Body, then they are wrong-headed and counterproductive.

However, these tribal types are the exception.

In most cases believers of varying denominations fellowship together just fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted: I truly do not mean to offend, but they all seem to the same to me.  So why so many different names?
They're Protestant sects of Christianity. Each of them has their own differences. It's very different from the Catholic sect which presents a very united front due to superior Command and Control. So it isn't surprising that Catholics outnumber everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#8]
^^what Brohawk said^^

Yes, there are some denominations who do things I simply believe to be wrong.

Yes, there are some things that are worth fighting over - but many more that aren't.

I don't agree with many of the positions held by my own church - but I go there anyway. if we refused to compromise on ANYTHING, we'd all go to very, very small churches.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sometimes the only difference between denominations is only in the way the church politics. Among mainstream denominations the essential doctrine of faith is the same. There may be some differences on peripherial issues that are not really that important. The basics are saved by grace alone, through faith alone from God alone. There is nothing that we can bring to the table that makes any difference.

That was pretty much my impression (mostly the same, but different church politics), but without knowing a lot about each particular denomination, I don't know what the differences in the "secondary" or "peripherial" issues are.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted: I truly do not mean to offend, but they all seem to the same to me.  So why so many different names?
They're Protestant sects of Christianity. Each of them has their own differences. It's very different from the Catholic sect which presents a very united front due to superior Command and Control. So it isn't surprising that Catholics outnumber everyone else.

I specifically left the catholics unnamed, since they like to distance themselves from the others voluntarily (see history).  Besides which, the differences between the catholic church and the churches I was raised in are pretty obvious.

I don't know that I'd say they have "superior" command and control though.  Then again, the catholic church is the only church with its own "country" (I don't think city-states qualify as countries, kinda like how rhode island is hardly big enough to be a state ), so maybe command and control is the proper term for it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I don't agree with many of the positions held by my own church - but I go there anyway. if we refused to compromise on ANYTHING, we'd all go to very, very small churches.

Small churches rule!!  j/k

My kids went to sunday school and church at my in-laws church which has three times the attendance of ours.  That Sunday they learned about the Leaning Tower of Bable.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I know of 2 Catholic churches that are extremely liberal and quite against the grain so to speak. They better clamp down more. I dont mean that as a RCC bash, just an observation. My liberal sis in law and bro go to one and there is another down the road from me. I asked the "father?" questions about abortion and new age stuff and he pretty much gave me a liberal answer that shocked me. He basically said all that was ok and this was all about people and being happy. I was like  He said as long as I followed some ritualistic things he mentioned (I dont remember exactly what but imho they were like a ritual) its ok to live as one wishes. I am not kidding this is what he said and I do not believe for one minute this is like all RCC churches so I wonnt play the typical lets assume they are all like that game many others do. I only mention this because everyone keeps telling me there are no differences within its ranks.

Again not a bash on the RCC, just something that I see in my area and making a point its not as controlld as one thinks. Wide is the road and many are on it. I cant correct my bro and sis in law them because I have no "authority" so I have to watch them walk to hell believing in all sorts of wild things contrary to the upper teachings of their very church.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#13]
The differences is easy to explain. It is their interpretion of the Bible, including Literal, Some errors, and variances thereof. Also whether the way to God is individual or through the priest and preachers. Who forgives sin God or the Church?  Priesthood of the Believers is another. Who is responsible for witnessing. Church disclipine. Role of women. Lots of differences and many are anti-Biblical
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a verse  from first Timothy where  Paul  is  speaking  about those  in authority and our exortation  to  pray  for them, and that this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour. He goes  on to say:

1Ti 2:5 For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

The RCC sure thinks we  need priests as  a go between. Rather we can go straight to God because of Jesus making us righteous in  His sight.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I think each denomination or movement was started when a specific point came to life.  For example,

Lutherans, with Luther's understanding of "The just shall live by faith."

Baptists, with the emphasis on the finished work of the cross.

The Charismatic movement that sprang from the Azusa Street event,

... and so forth.

There are core doctrines of Christianity that are not negotiable, such as the Triune God, deity of Yeshua, salvation by faith, the virgin birth, etc.  These are essential in defining the Christian faith.

Then there are peripheral doctrines, such as interpretation of prophecy, gifts such as "speaking in tongues", and so forth that in themselves don't define what basic Christianity is.

In the essential doctrines the various Christian denominations have unity.  In the non-essential doctrines we have liberty.  

Now I can agree with you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#16]
That the heavens are not closed, that God can speak his message through Prophets today. That is the big difference between the Mormons and other Christian denominations.

We don't believe the Triune therory, Otherwise God would be a changeble God. We don't believe in a "proffesional"clergy, nor a celibate one. (God said multiply and replenish, no stated exemptions). We believe in baptism by immersion. And the laying on of hands for the gift of the holy ghost.

We believe the bible to be the word of God and also the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

We do not believe in "original sin" each will be accountable to God for there own sins.
We believe in a pre earthly existance before this life, that Heaven is not an end but a path that may lead to God showing us how to be Gods.(If heaven is just singing in a choir the person next to me will think he's in Hell)hWe believe in the primitive organization of the church IE apostles, prophets pastors, teachers etc.

This is some of the differences between theChurch of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints and other Christian churches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top