Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 8:56:00 PM EDT
anyone else seen the movie luther.watched it the other night and it was pretty
good.don't really know much about martin luther except he brought about the
reformation.man, the church was pretty messed up back then and that guy really
lived his faith.they got it on dvd at frys for $10 if anyone wants to pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If its the one I saw long ago it was ok.

Definitely read  Bondage of The Will by him.

Also try to find some arguments he had with Erasmus. Good stuff.

Luther was quite bombastic at times but his motivation was pure IMHO. The man spent 2 3 and 4 hours in confessoin while in the monastary, how much sin can you commit in a monastary? The man accounted for every single one he commited or even thought about. He drove them nuts I bet.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw it and liked it a lot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a site with more info on the movie.

link
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The 2003 movie "Luther" is not as historically accurate as the 1950's movie "Martin Luther" which was originally done in black and white.

For example, near the beginning of "Luther", there is a scene where Luther insists, against the obvious displeasure of his parishioners, on burying a suicide in the cemetery. This is no historical record of this as far as I know. However, in the book “Table Talk”, which is a collection of his sayings made while sitting around the supper table drinking beer in the evening, there is a piece on “Suicides are not necessarily damned.” It looks to me as if they took that saying and invented a scenario into which it might be dramatically placed. Makes for an exciting movie, but I do not approve of such liberties.

Another example of the historical inaccuracies in “Luther” involves the Peasant Rebellion. The movie compresses events in such a way that one is easily mislead. In fact, I think that it is impossible to view the movie “Luther” and come away with an accurate timeline of what happened when and the relation these events had with one another.

I also hate the way they had Luther wandering around like a gadfly in the nave while preaching. I am firmly convinced that he would never have left the pulpit to preach. Recalling this misportrayal of the truth just made my blood pressure rise. I get steamed when they try to portray Lutheran as some kind of modern day TV preacher.

Therefore, I highly recommend the older movie “Martin Luther.” I own both movies, but this is superior. I picked up several copies from Christian Book Distributors while it was on sale for about $3.00 a copy.

In regard to the comment made on Luther’s frequent use of private confession and absolution, I am reminded of the following.

In the days when Luther was an Augustinian monk, his father confessor was Staupitz. Luther privately confessed his sins at least once a day during those early days in the monastery. Since Luther still held to the medieval Roman Catholic view that the “righteousness of God” was that righteousness that the Lord demanded of us, no matter how frequently Luther confessed his sins, he remained aware that he was a sinner and fell short of the glory of God. This moved him to even more frequent confession.

As one might expect, Staupitz (remember, the characters are all still Roman Catholics at this time) became exasperated with Luther and told him to go away and commit some real sins and then come back and confess them.

Of course, Luther sinned as much in a monastery as we do in the secular world. Every inclination of our Old Man is evil. Luther was no different.

On a final note, the Reformation was precipitated when Luther discovered that the “righteousness of God” is not that which he requires of us, but is rather that righteousness that He gives us in Christ.

viator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top