Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2021 1:38:59 AM EDT
Reason and Logic suggests God needs not rest.
I am leaning towards lost in translation (the word rest-Genesis 2:2) or as Jeremiah suggest in 8:8 not well written.

Conclusion based on..

Jeremiah 32:17 There is nothing too hard for you

Isaiah 40:28 Have you not known? Have you not heard? The
everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth,
neither faints nor is weary there is no searching of His understanding

Please share any grammatical unknowns or personal journey that may benefit from deep diving.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Exodus 18;14 Ask yourself, “Is anything too hard for the Lord”
Exodus 31:17 ..he rested and was refreshed.”
Mark 10:27 14 since “With man it is impossible, but not with God.For all things are possible with God

Rested or didn’t rest? Figurative or authors couldn’t agree?
I am unclear by the book-Authors and could I reasonably accept our One father would need to rest?

I am thinking about it real hard.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I think we may be interpreting "rest" through a 21st century mindset.

"Rest" as understood in the Ancient Near East context might mean that the King has finally sat on his throne after establishing his kingdom. As is argued in Hebrews, "the rest" as differentiated from "a rest" has not occurred at present.

I might suggest: "The Lost World of Genesis One". It is free on audible if you have that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I am unconvinced God needs rest per context above refers to exhaustion, a human trait, more unknowns..

Are we allowed to partake in intoxicants?

Matthew 11:11 Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he

John 10:41 And many resorted unto him, and said, John did no miracle: but all things that John spake of this man were true

Luke 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb

Mathew 26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom

If I am reading this on context John the Baptist was the greatest prophet who had no sign, nor drank and Jesus himself gave up the vine, so how are we permitted or are we not?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I am reading this on context John the Baptist was the greatest prophet who had no sign, nor drank and Jesus himself gave up the vine, so how are we permitted or are we not?
View Quote

John was under a Nazarine Vow (Numbers 6), not to be confused with what Christians are bound by.

There are no prohibitions on alcohol for Christians. The apostles shared bread and wine every time they met.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
More Faith and less Law.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, you are.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, you are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you are.

So am I.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think we may be interpreting "rest" through a 21st century mindset.

"Rest" as understood in the Ancient Near East context might mean that the King has finally sat on his throne after establishing his kingdom. As is argued in Hebrews, "the rest" as differentiated from "a rest" has not occurred at present.

I might suggest: "The Lost World of Genesis One". It is free on audible if you have that.
View Quote

As a Muslim I am have to believe in Moses and Jesus. In the Quran God says “ after the sixth day he rose over the throne (in a majesty that suits him). Rose and rest are not conforming.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

John was under a Nazarine Vow (Numbers 6), not to be confused with what Christians are bound by.

There are no prohibitions on alcohol for Christians. The apostles shared bread and wine every time they met.

View Quote

Isnt Jesus from Nazareth? Is John the Baptist a Christian?

I am clear that Jesus made life simpler and those that followed him were not bound by all prior laws (some were punishments),  Muslims also share this view.

Jesus said I am the way and if he gave up the drink that seems like a sound thing to follow. Jesus also said,”I and and the father are one”. I take that to mean one in mission not to share divinity in creation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
More Faith and less Law.
View Quote

I understand the concept of faith before confirmation but Jesus did live by example, and was very clear on the law, not to confuse speaking in riddles since he trusted not his own.

Faith is also more confirmed by reason and logic as the first revelation in the Quran is “read in the name of your lord”. Read, comprehend, apply, be just.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Isnt Jesus from Nazareth?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Isnt Jesus from Nazareth?

Being from Nazareth is not the same as being under a Nazarene vow. A Nazarene vow was that you would forego things for a period of time, and Alcohol was mandatory. Sampson and Samuel are examples of this.

Quoted:
Is John the Baptist a Christian?

He died before there was such a thing as Christians.

Quoted:
I am clear that Jesus made life simpler and those that followed him were not bound by all prior laws (some were punishments), Muslims also share this view.

Cool.

Quoted:
Jesus said I am the way and if he gave up the drink that seems like a sound thing to follow. Jesus also said,”I and and the father are one”. I take that to mean one in mission not to share divinity in creation.

I agree. At that same dinner Jesus prayed to his Father (God) that he and his apostles would be one in the same way. Your view of that passage makes complete sense.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I take that to mean one in mission not to share divinity in creation.
View Quote

You would be incorrect.

OT
God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’“ (Exodus 3:14)

NT
“I am not possessed by a demon,” said Jesus, “but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” At this the Jews exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death. Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?” Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.” “You are not yet fifty years old,” the Jews said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!” “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” (John 8:49-58)

"The Pharisees knew exactly what Jesus meant by this. From their perspective, Jesus said specifically, “I am God”. How do we know this was their interpretations of His words? We know it from their reaction. They responded by attempting to stone Jesus for claiming to be God (an act of blasphemy they considered worthy of death):

At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds. (John 8:59)"

There are a ton of others.

Christians believe, and have always believed since the NT, that God the Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit are one God. This is the doctrine of the Trinity, and it is FOUNDATIONAL to being a Christian. Period. Among the many doctrinal differences, the one uniting factor among all true Christian churches has been the belief in the Trinity. Period. A Christian who doesn't believe in the Triune God is like a Muslim who doesn't believe Mohammed was a prophet.

You can find it in the NT, and the earliest Church writings like the Didache.

"The Koine Greek term Ego eimi (Greek ??? e?µ?, pronounced [e?ó imí]), literally I am or It is I, is an emphatic form of the copulative verb e?µ? that is recorded in the Gospels to have been spoken by Jesus on several occasions to refer to himself not with the role of a verb but playing the role of a name, in the Gospel of John occurring seven times with specific titles. These usages have been the subject of significant Christological analysis.[1][2] The term I Am relating to God appears over 300 times in the Bible, first in the book of Genesis (15:1) and last in Revelation (22:16). This has led to the Biblical God sometimes being referred to as “the great ‘I am’”.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:35:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Appears your passionate in your studies. Does your observation view Jesus as the father as the “I am”, the God of Moses and Abraham and that Jesus predates Abraham?

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God

Does that sound like Jesus shares divinity/God or that God our father empowers him? I guess this response is in advanced to my above question if your suggesting “yes”.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:47:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Being from Nazareth is not the same as being under a Nazarene vow. A Nazarene vow was that you would forego things for a period of time, and Alcohol was mandatory. Sampson and Samuel are examples of this.

He died before there was such a thing as Christians.

Cool.

I agree. At that same dinner Jesus prayed to his Father (God) that he and his apostles would be one in the same way. Your view of that passage makes complete sense.
View Quote

I appreciate the clear response that makes sense.

John the Baptist did baptize Jesus in the Jordan river and I would think of him (greatest prophet in Jesus view) to be an early Christian, preaching repentance, which is logical in Gods law. It is possible that Mary and Elizabeth were cousins. John also received the holy spiritual in the womb? I am unclear if that suggests he is rightly guided or something outside of my knowledge. Also interstate Gabriel spoke to Mary and Zachariah.

In the Quran chapter “table spread”, the disciples ask for a feast and Jesus questions them if they doubt, they reply no but to strengthen their faith. A table spread descends and Jesus asks if they will support his cause they reply yes and do they do not forsake Jesus. That is another distinction where as in gospel they all forsake and fled.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God
View Quote

It has nothing to do with Christ denying Himself to be God, but rather a manner of speaking in which He is using the instance to:

1) redirect the man's statement as an opportunity to reflect on the nature and conditions of goodness:
"Why callest thou me good?—Our Lord’s question is, in St. Mark’s report, in harmony with that of the seeker after life eternal. Its obvious drift was to force him back upon the conditions of absolute goodness, to make him ask himself how far, and under what conditions, that word might be used relatively of any child of man." Ellicott's Commentaries

2) for the man to understand His (Christ's) true nature
"Why callest thou me good? This is said, not as denying that he was good, or as being angry with him for calling him so, but in order to lead this young man to a true knowledge of him, and his goodness, and even of his proper deity" Gill's Exposition

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Thinking about it really hard might be what's giving you the trouble.

An object can "come to rest"  it means to stop, to cease moving.  He stopped.  He stepped back.  He ceased.  And object in motion stays in motion... an object at rest stays at rest ... I'd suspect it was being used in that sense.

Nothing was "lost in translation".
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#18]
It could very well mean he switched to a different inertial frame of reference.  That would explain why 7 days passed for him during creation while it appears 15 billion years have gone by from where we are now.  It would also make sense if his current inertial frame is not the same as ours, with 1 day for him being  1000 of ours if I recall.

But it may not be that at all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 2:28:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It could very well mean he switched to a different inertial frame of reference.  That would explain why 7 days passed for him during creation while it appears 15 billion years have gone by from where we are now.  It would also make sense if his current inertial frame is not the same as ours, with 1 day for him being  1000 of ours if I recall.

But it may not be that at all.
View Quote

“The name Earth is at least 1,000 years old.”

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/earth/in-depth.amp

NASA got it wrong, the word earth comes from Arabic “al-ard”, all over the Quran. Thinking back to Islamic science of astronomy, algebra, alchemy, some interesting verses, touching Big Bang, expanding universe, life from water, atmospher, techtonic plates, celestial planetary orbit.

Quran 21:30-33

30 Do the disbelievers not see that the heavens and the earth were one mass, and We tore them apart? And We made from water every living thing. Will they not believe?

31. And We placed on earth stabilizers, lest it sways with them, and We placed therein signposts and passages, that they may be guided.
32. And We made the sky a protected ceiling; yet they turn away from its wonders.
33. It is He who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon; each floating in an orbit.

Expanding universe

Quran 51:47 And the heaven, We built it with craftsmanship and We are still expanding.

The Quranic Arabic for time in the six day verse is Ayoum”, translated to eons I believe. What your referring to is scientifically supported,  as the earth formed, a single day-rotation equaled 1000 days today. Interesting take Big Bang took five minutes and the rest? I am trying to piece it all together reasonably with science, and logic.

Regards
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I think it's hard for us to say exactly what happened scientifically, but I do like to point out that our understanding of the universe admits to time/space operating in ways different that people classically believed.

I always thought Gerald Schroeder had an interesting take on a possible way to view the differences coming at it from a physics/comsmology perspective:
The age of the universe (quick explanation) || Gerald Schroeder
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Crux,

Gerald is accurate in his additional explanation of space time I.e fourth dimension.

Quran 22:47 And they ask you to hasten the punishment. But God never breaks His promise. A day with your Lord is like a thousand years of your count.

Quran 70:4 Unto Him the angels and the Spirit ascend on a Day the duration of which is fifty thousand years.

Time vs. time and not time vs. distance as the previous lunar verse). This can happen if: Angels accelerate to relativistic speeds. Angels are in a strong gravitational field.

Applying Einstein’s theory of special relativity the angels accelerate up to the speed of light. Given this time difference (time dilation) we can calculate the speed at which that object traveled.

This time dilation (time difference) shows that angels indeed accelerate to relativistic speeds; outside gravitational fields this is the same speed calculated from the previous lunar verse also outside gravitational fields

Clocks run slower in stronger gravitational fields (near bigger mass)

THR suggests time should pass slower near an object more massive than Earth (clocks run slower in stronger gravitational fields). Time should pass in Paradise/Hell much slower than on Earth, as noted 1 day in Paradise/Hell measures a 1000 years on Earth:

[Quran 86.1-3] And the heaven and the "Knocker" (2 How could you know about the "Knocker"? 3 The piercing star

The above Verse Tarek-Quasar (3C 273) quasar is over 4 trillion times more luminous than the Sun at visible wavelengths and of stars can be found below.

https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/fifty-years-quasars-38937

https://web.pa.msu.edu/people/horvatin/Astronomy_Facts/brightest_stars.html

The Arabic word "Thakeb" means the one who makes the hole. The Quran is describing a knocking star that makes a hole. They will either directly collapse on themselves and become black holes (collapsed stars)  the Singularity. An observer sees the events near a back hole in slow motion.

Most neutron stars discovered today are in the form of radio pulsars. They are called radio pulsars because they emit radio waves; we can simply connect a radio telescope to a loud speaker and hear a pulsar. Pulsars sound like someone persistently knocking.

https://youtu.be/gb0P6x_xDEU

3C 273 is powered by a supermassive black hole and lies a staggering 2,443 million light-years distant, receding from us at 14.6 percent of the speed of light

Quran 56:74 So glorify the Name of your Great Lord
75. So I do swear by the positions of the stars
76. It is an oath, if you only knew, that is tremendous.

[Quran 41.11] Then He directed himself to the Heaven when it was SMOKE, and then said to it and to Earth: "Come willingly or by force" they said "We do come willingly". .

https://astronomynow.com/2019/03/07/seek-out-3c-273-the-brightest-optical-quasar-in-the-spring-sky/

Following the Big Bang the universe was primarily Hydrogen, Helium and a tiny bit of Lithium. However when a gas is too hot it becomes ionized (loses the electrons) and becomes opaque (like today's smoke). In the beginning the universe was opaque to visible light (non-transparent). After 300,000 years the universe cooled and it became transparent to visible light. For other wavelengths it was opaque for a billion years.

In the beginning was smoke followed by light as noted above and as truth confirmed by science.

God is master Architect and through science, reason and logic we know that atheist are liars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top