Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 7:47:37 PM EDT
2005 Ford Focus ZX3.

bought it used with after market wheels. I guess the guy was real worried about them getting stolen. I tried to replace the brake pads/rotors. Right wheel first, everything went well for 3 lug nuts. On the 4th it would not come off, I ended up using a cheaters bar to torque it off. Damaged part of the thread on the lug bolt. Everything went back together good and tight. It looked like somehow the lug nut and bolt were fused together.

Same story on the left wheel, 3 lug nuts came off easy. One caused trouble. I go to use the cheater bar, and it broke my lug nut key! tore it down the side! After reading a few posts and ideas online on how to get my lug nut off (it was stripped too) I came to the conclusion that I could pop it off with a chisel. Well, after chisel, dremel, and hammer work I definitely fused whats left of it to the lug bolt, and damaged it severely. How do I replace my lug bolt? Should I take it in to a professional? The bolt is recessed into a well on the wheels, another anti theft deterrent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If I could, I'd drill it out from the back [head of the lug] and weaken it to the point I could just snap it off. I'd then just buy another stock lug bolt and nut, drive out the old one with the appropriate punch and install the new one.

Can you buy another lug nut key?

If you can drill it out from the front it would be a lot easier. Very likely a grade 8 bolt so you will need a decent set of drill bits. Prick punch, start small and work up in size until you hit the threads, then snap off the nut and bolt. You don't nave to drill all the eay thru that way, only past the nut itself.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
There are socket kits available to remove anti theft lugnuts.

I have also seen a socket that had a tapered spiral on the inside diameter that was set up so the spiral would grab on to the nut when turned counterclockwise.  If you have access to a oxy-acetyline torch you can heat the nut up.  Be Very Carefull,  damage to wheel and your hands can result!!!!!!

Do a search on the internet.  Or call around to some of the big auto part chain stores and see if they have one available.  It may have been a Lisle tool.  Check Tool Warehouse on the net.  They are a good internet store.  At least you can get a name.  Go to Snap-On,  Mac,  or Matco sites to get an idea what you need.

When you get done working on your wheels and whatever else you are doing make sure to put anti-seize on the lug bolt and lug nut threads.  Install the lug nuts with the tire iron that came with the car so you don't over torque.  Drive around the block and recheck tightness on the the lug nuts.  I prefer a small four way wrench it's less akward.  Don't overtorque.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are socket kits available to remove anti theft lugnuts.

I have also seen a socket that had a tapered spiral on the inside diameter that was set up so the spiral would grab on to the nut when turned counterclockwise.  If you have access to a oxy-acetyline torch you can heat the nut up.  Be Very Carefull,  damage to wheel and your hands can result!!!!!!

Do a search on the internet.  Or call around to some of the big auto part chain stores and see if they have one available.  It may have been a Lisle tool.  Check Tool Warehouse on the net.  They are a good internet store.  At least you can get a name.  Go to Snap-On,  Mac,  or Matco sites to get an idea what you need.

When you get done working on your wheels and whatever else you are doing make sure to put anti-seize on the lug bolt and lug nut threads.  Install the lug nuts with the tire iron that came with the car so you don't over torque.  Drive around the block and recheck tightness on the the lug nuts.  I prefer a small four way wrench it's less akward.  Don't overtorque.

Good luck.

Yes and a lot of the guys at your local dealers have them if you can get past service or just get it written up for removal if one of the guys has one he can normally get it off in just a few mins without damaging your wheel and you are on your way it's cheaper than buying the tools but be sure and ask if the guys have the tools first and tell them you don't want some young kid chopping up your wheel and nut .
John
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics of you problem would help.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 2:55:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Have nuts welded on the stripped lug nuts, the heat of the welder getting the lug nut cherry red will help loosen it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top