Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2009 8:18:55 AM EDT
Anybody using it here?I've got a 1985 Mercedes 300D i'd like to convert(when funds permit!).I'm going to use the Greasecar kit,it's a two tank system.Also i live about 20 minutes from them.Any input would be greatful.Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked into biodiesel?
Grease cars just tend to give a lot of problems
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
While running on WVO seems like a great money saving idea, it is not anywhere near as good as many people make it out to be.

First off, the WVO contains all sorts of impurities. This results in carbon buildup inside your combustion chamber. No big deal, right. Well, the piston rings stick in the grooves and fail to seal. This results in massive blowby, causing the oil to be contaminated. It also causes the piston to overheat and stick in the bore, causing bore damage.

The motor oil will polymerize and eventually fail to flow, if you don't change it often enough.

There are plenty of poor souls who went this route and had massive engine trouble. There are many others who made it work. After much study, I am not convinced there is a "secret" to making it work. It depends on many factors including the age of the engine and it's health, the length of the trip, how often the oil is changed and the type of oil used. The quality and type of the WVO. The list goes on and on.

The top pic is a BRM engine using WVO
The bottom pic is a BRM engine with 100K on diesel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine ran a "89 Jetta since the early "90's on grease,to nearly 400K.He pulled the head off and was pretty clean.He filters it really well,and get's good grease.I've seen failures,but mostly do to poor filtering.The GREASECAR company is about 20min. from me,they have what seems to be the best kit out there.I'm gonna take a trip there this week to check them out.I run Pride brand fuel(contains 5% raw veg. juice)and use Power Service Cetane and get the best mileage and power so far.I've tried MANY different brands of fuel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top