Posted: 2/24/2009 2:19:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
check how much coolant you have then go from there
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Coolant, thermostat, fans not turning on if electric, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If your good on coolant it's your thermostat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Your description is likely a thermostat

HOWEVER

the 4.0 xj's are notorious for having a tendancy to get hot at idle or low speeds especally when the radiator has some miles on it and doesn't preform as well as it once did
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Inspect for low coolant. Verify low coolant sensor is operating properly. (Refer to Electrical Troubleshooting, Section 12).

Inspect the drivebelt and pulleys for damage.
a. Replace any damaged parts.
b. Check belt tension. Replace if necessary.

WARNING: Use caution when testing thermostat. Hot engine coolant will cause burns.

NOTE: Off-road driving in extremely dusty conditions may result in debris entrapment between the radiator and oil cooler. Trapped debris may increase coolant temperature.

Check for clogged or blocked radiator system. Clean and flush as required. Cleaning requires the separation of the oil cooler from the radiator and both units must be thoroughly flushed with water and compressed air.

Check thermostat for proper operation. Remove thermostat and place thermostat in container of water known to be 190°F (88°C). Observe valve. If valve does not open, replace thermostat.

Check radiator for bent fins. Straighten fins or replace radiator if damaged beyond repair.

Check for leaking or defective water pump. Replace leaking or defective water pump.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Also at around 210 my electric fan will kick on.   you should hear it if you are at an idle.  I've replaced my water pump, thermostat, flushed everything, etc.   They just like to run warm.  Some will put in a different thermostat but I never liked the idea behind that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Fan clutch?
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fan clutch?

yeah, I was surprised it git this far without any mention
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top