Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2008 3:35:45 PM EDT
The fuel gauge has been all over the place for days. One minute it's way up, even when I know there is only a quarter of a tank of fuel. Then it's back down.

I know I was near empty today, and the next thing I know, the gauge says nearly full. I put 20 dollars worth of gas in it and the gauge went back to half

any ideas? I was watching it the other day and it was pinging all over the place...
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I replaced the pump & sending unit in my '99 S10 because the fuel gage would bounce all over the place.

Upon removal & inspection, there are tiny copper "fingers" attached to the float that would sweep across some resistor tracks as the fuel level changed.  Comparing the old to new pump assembly, I noted the "fingers" were worn away to essentially nothing....this was after about 120K miles, IIRC.

Unfortunately the pump assy was not cheap....but I refuse to have a dysfunctional gas gage....
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine does that but not as bad, I don't even look at the damn thing anymore, I just watch how many miles I have gone.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mine does that but not as bad, I don't even look at the damn thing anymore, I just watch how many miles I have gone.

Right, I'm used to doing that from riding my first bike; my Sportster didn't have a fuel gauge. In the Blazer, I usually set the "trip set" when I fill up to check my fuel effeciency (or in-efficiency)

94TBlazer, how much were the pump and parts, joc?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Delphi OE pump assy was around $300, IIRC....like I said, it was alot to just make the gas gage work again....but I'm willing to bet alot of people who use the trip odometer to track when to fill up HAVE run out of gas....to me, it was worth it not to do the walk of shame to the gas station....
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
my 2002 s10 crew cab  did the same thing . I replaced the pump & sending unit in when the pump stop working and it fixed the gas gauge  problem .

If you have a Auto zone around you, they had the pump the cheapest.

I gut a hole over the gas tank and replaced it that way.  It was easier to cut the hole and bolt on a cover , then drop the tank.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#6]
My '99 did the same thing. Only, the gas guage started acting up a week after replacing the pump. A week after that, that pump shit the bed. After that, I paid a little extra and got the Bosch pump. Lifetime warranty and a quality pump. I did what 762by39 did. Saved a lot of time and if I ever have to replace the pump again, I can pull it in 20 minutes.

Quoted:
my 2002 s10 crew cab  did the same thing . I replaced the pump & sending unit in when the pump stop working and it fixed the gas gauge  problem .

If you have a Auto zone around you, they had the pump the cheapest.

I cut a hole over the gas tank and replaced it that way.  It was easier to cut the hole and bolt on a cover , then drop the tank.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Rodents in the fuel tank, normal problem. Just burn them out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I gut a hole over the gas tank and replaced it that way.  It was easier to cut the hole and bolt on a cover , then drop the tank.

Given it's a crew-cab; why didn't you just take the bed off?  That's what I did with my short-box truck when I replaced my pump....it's really not that bad...unless you have no help around....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Delphi OE pump assy was around $300, IIRC....like I said, it was alot to just make the gas gage work again....but I'm willing to bet alot of people who use the trip odometer to track when to fill up HAVE run out of gas....to me, it was worth it not to do the walk of shame to the gas station....

Yeah thats why I fill up around the 200 mile mark, plenty left in the tank but enough to where it practical to go get gas.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Yer sending unit is FUCKED.  My mom had a 2000 Blazer with the same issue.

If you can DIY it, pull the fuel tank and replace it.  If not, GM quoted my dad a $900 repair. We decided to ditch it and buy a TrailBlazer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#11]
It could be a bad ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top