Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2008 9:59:08 PM EDT
Yeah, So the car should get here within 2.5-3 weeks and winter is almost over.I'm looking for something that'll only last one or two summers but will grip like a cat in a shower. They have to be street legal. They also have to perform semi-decent in the rain. I havent been into the car scene for a couple years now, so I'm not really aware of wich manufacturer makes what nowadays. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends what you want... long lasting or good grip?  The RE070s that come stock on the STI are great tires but have shitty wear pattern and life.  I also like yokohama advans
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
good grip
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
BFGoodrich GForce T/A KD's I had on my car ('01 Z06) lasted me almost 35k miles. Almost 2.5x longer than any other set of tires I have owned and the grip was still great.

The OEM Goodyear Supercar F1's gripped slightly better but only lasted 15k miles. Then again, back then I probably wasn't as judicious with the throttle pedal
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 5:28:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Racing slicks FTW.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an '04 STi.

I was happy with the stock Potenzas but replaced them with Dunlop Sport Maxx and was more impressed with them.

The car was my daily driver plus I used to autocross, road race and drag race with it so the tires got a very good workout.  Try the Dunlops, you'll like them.

For the winter (I had two sets of wheels for the car) I originally used Continental ContiExtremeContacts.  They were a very good all weather tire but not quite good enough for just the winter.  I replaced them with Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter and couldn't have been happier.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at the Nitto NT555R.  Will only last about 1 summer though and Traction in the rain is not the best but not as bad as a racing slick.
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Nitto NT-01,  as fast as your gonna get street legal.

Hossier Dot slicks-no good for rain though

Falken Azenis rt-615 is what I'm running,  good in the rain if you take it easy and excellent dry grip.  Cheap to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
i went with the rt-615's. I also got a set of 17x8 tommygold ROTA SVN's
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

WHERE ARE THE PICS!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHERE ARE THE PICS!?!?!?!?

Can't get pics cause i'm getting the wheels next wednesday. Here's a sample in the mean time. These are 18x8.5s but it's the same wheel and the exact color

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a tire with good water shedding properties.  A light car with wide tires can be a white knuckle experience when it hydroplanes.  AWD will help but if you hydroplane you have no control over the vehicle.  I had an early RX-7 with wide tires that would suddenly rev up while driving in the rain.  I also hydroplaned a Mazda B2000 pickup one rainy day on I76.  I spun twice on the pavement and I think twice in the median.  If it wasn't really muddy I would have been on the top.

Have fun with the new ride!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top