Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2008 1:56:20 PM EDT
My girl needs new tires for her Crossfire SRT-6 and there is alot of choices out there. Tires have to be all season performance or summer performance. Size for the rear tires are 255/35-19.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
How many miles and what brand for your first set?  

My accountant and personal advisor is rolling on Goodyear 275/60 R20" and will easily get 50K miles on the set.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Your crossfire is essentially a last generation Mercedes SLK 32.

Michelin pilot sport (not the a/s version) would be my primary choice.

Secondary, go with a Continental Contisport contact 2.

It most likely came with Continental or Michelin tires as OEM anyway, and from a dealership standpoint they give the best results.
Shitty, cheap tires will do nothing but ruin the experience, and you won't actually save money because you will be replacing them much sooner because you will see how bad they are.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if they make the size we need but I am really looking at BFGoodrich KDWs or Goodyear Eagles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Her car only has 6000 miles but I drive alttle aggressive! With 330 ponies who wouldn't drive aggressive?!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Best performance tires I have ever had. They handle better in the rain than others I have tried, and all year around.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't know if they make the size we need but I am really looking at BFGoodrich KDWs or Goodyear Eagles.

You will not be happy with either.  Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Falken tires are amazingly grippy and wear well.  I had a pair on my last car (SRT4),  which was an absolute torque monster (300+ ft lbs at the wheels) and out of the 3 types of tires I had on that car (one set which was the KDW's), the Falkens were by far the nicest.

Very popular with the autocross crew, and theres a reason for it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My dad is using Potenza RE050A's on his.  Seem to be wearing nicely so far.

Bridgestone, FTW!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I put thse on my son's 328is BMW and they were gone in "two shakes of a lamb's tail".

My current Beemer came with the Conti's and I ditched them at 24K because it sounded like I had a wheel bearning going out.

I bought the Michelin Pilot Exaltos and love them. I even put the Michelin Pilot Exalto AS on the wife's 528 BMW as well. I have had Michelin Pilot Sports on my M3's as well but for you I'd go with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS.

Check out Tire Rack, all the information in the tire world lives there.

Happy Motoring,
Bill
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:13:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I put thse on my son's 328is BMW and they were gone in "two shakes of a lamb's tail".

My current Beemer came with the Conti's and I ditched them at 24K because it sounded like I had a wheel bearning going out.

I bought the Michelin Pilot Exaltos and love them. I even put the Michelin Pilot Exalto AS on the wife's 528 BMW as well. I have had Michelin Pilot Sports on my M3's as well but for you I'd go with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS.

Check out Tire Rack, all the information in the tire world lives there.

Happy Motoring,
Bill

The A/S traditionally wears funny (center will be gone much faster than the edges, exact opposite of our usual wear pattern) they are noisy, and they simply don't last.  They also do not have the grip of the standard pilot sport.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:52:48 AM EDT
[#12]
tirerack.com   Tons of information, reviews, user ratings, etal
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#13]
BTW: I heard thet have discontinued that car.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Falken tires are amazingly grippy and wear well.  I had a pair on my last car (SRT4),  which was an absolute torque monster (300+ ft lbs at the wheels) and out of the 3 types of tires I had on that car (one set which was the KDW's), the Falkens were by far the nicest.

Very popular with the autocross crew, and theres a reason for it.

I love my Azenis 615s. Just my opinion no such animal as a all season performance tire.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Unfortunately they have discotinued the Crossfire line. We bought our SRT-6 for $20k.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Unfortunately they have discotinued the Crossfire line. We bought our SRT-6 for $20k.

OMFG I would have gladly signed the papers for that.  There are few cars as much fun as an SLK 32, and thats pretty much the same thing.  Damn car is too powerful for its size, I've had the rear end kick out under full throttle with the traction control on.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
It is a nasty little car. Only dislike is the one and only cup holder.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#19]
You do not need a cupholder, as you will arrive fast enough so that you will not have time to become thirsty enroute.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
My FIL put BFG KDW's on his. The performance was great, the tire noise, not so much.

His specific Crossfire was a POS. Engine let go at 12k, that's right 12k. He had so many problems with it, he had to sue. He ended up getting a new Solstice. I loved the Crossfire. That thing was pretty nice and had great power and a good ride. He just got a shitty one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My FIL put BFG KDW's on his. The performance was great, the tire noise, not so much.

His specific Crossfire was a POS. Engine let go at 12k, that's right 12k. He had so many problems with it, he had to sue. He ended up getting a new Solstice. I loved the Crossfire. That thing was pretty nice and had great power and a good ride. He just got a shitty one.

Taxman should learn how to deal with things like you do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

the kdw is a great tire but has horrible tread life.
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the kdw is a great tire but has horrible tread life.

And the grip sucks.

YoungAR, take my advice on the falkens.  I have more wheeltime behind torque monster SRT vehicles than you'd care to hear about, and they performed the best by far.
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Pirelli P Zero's

There is no other choice.

Had a set of a Spec Miata, transformed it. THEY DO NOT LET GO OF THE ROAD.

Trust me, you do not want summer tires if the temps drop below 40-45 degrees where you are at....multiple reasons.

The tire compound that is soft to give you excellent traction, get's hard and there is NO traction, even on dry pavement. Also those tires wear like crazy. A set a year or so if you do any spirited driving at all. Seriously, there is not a reliable rating for treadwear on summer tires.

I had a set of wheels and snow tires for the Miata from October to March, then the Pirelli's went on from March to October. I suggest you do the same.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I still haven't bought tires yet and they are getting bald! I have been looking really hard at the BFG KDW2s and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. Other than Discount does anybody know of a reasonable tire shop in Texas?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top