Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2006 2:35:56 PM EDT
Why spend money to turn a FWD economy car into a drag racer?

Physics are working against you 100%.

Even if you completely swap out the engine and tranny, the chassis is still not up to the task.

Why not start with an AWD or RWD design?
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
People think what they own is the best. If you give a 16 year old a Camaro, he's going to think he has the coolest car in the world, or the potential for it. If you give a 16 year old a Civic, he's going to think he has the coolest car in the world or the potential for it. I don't see how one could say "I'm going to go buy a FWD to modify", but I could understand wanting to modify what you already have.

However, if you buy a car specifically for economy, I don't see why you'd even think of modifying it. As for what brought this thread up, I see what your point is. If you buy a car for economy and modify it, you're going to dump alot of money into it only to have the economy and performance of another car for the same amount of money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I said DRAG RACING, Wave.

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Granted, those rental-type cars are uber-cheap.

BUT, if you actually want to WIN against a similarly-priced drag racing vehicle you will NEED RWD/AWD.  Period.

FWD is only in existence to address economy of production and fuel consupmtion.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I said DRAG RACING, Wave.

In that case, I seem to remember watching a totally tricked out mini-van(Plymouth Voyager?) doing pretty well on a dragstrip!

...and for less total money a 1987 fox-body 'Stang would've smoked it, brother.

FWD is crap for performance.  Period.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 4:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I think if you have the ability to change a car from FWD to AWD or RWD, you might have the skills to know where the chassis needs to be reinforced.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Even if you completely swap out the engine and tranny, the chassis is still not up to the task.

cuz theres a class for it! duh:p :D

seriously, people arre gonna raace anything. i have an aquantence that runs a 10 second EG civic(93 hatch)  granted its cost him a hell of a lot more than starting with a rwd v8... but damn, he loves it.  and thats all that matters...

now what i dont understand is the HUGE enfatuation the US has with dragging.  sure your car can acceellerate really fast, but wht happens when you need to turn...  to each their own i guess.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cuz theres a class for it! duh:p :D

seriously, people arre gonna raace anything. i have an aquantence that runs a 10 second EG civic(93 hatch)  granted its cost him a hell of a lot more than starting with a rwd v8... but damn, he loves it.  and thats all that matters...

now what i dont understand is the HUGE enfatuation the US has with dragging.  sure your car can acceellerate really fast, but wht happens when you need to turn...  to each their own i guess.

You turn the steering wheel . Unless it is a car that is a dedicated race car it will still have decent street manners.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't see the point with hopping up a FWD vehicle either...  Or even putting a wing on a FWD vehicle (isn't the wing defeating the purpose of keeping the front wheels on the ground?)

But...

People enjoy it, and it is competitive.  Maybe not quite as easy to find the power in the 4 bangers as it is to find the power in a 302...

I don't think I will ever understand it though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top