Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 11:51:29 AM EDT
On the opening of his show on Comedy Central, David Spade is driving around in a Turbo Regal. It's a Grand National (maybe WE4) for sure, but I could have sworn it has fender flares and fender vents.

Anyone else seen this? I figured David Spade would drive a Honda Element or something, not a car like that.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#1]
He's no fool but what does a GNX owner look like?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He's no fool but what does a GNX owner look like?

It was more of Hollywood stereotyping on my part. David Spade's one of the more tolerant actors left, I just never pictured him to be into a car like that.

I think I'd make a good GNX owner.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
did it have the GNX wheels? If so, I would immagine that a guy with that kind of money would be driving the real deal.

On a side note one of my friends is doing a resto on his WE4. It will be very nice when he gets it back from the shop.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
On the opening of his show on Comedy Central, David Spade is driving around in a Turbo Regal. It's a Grand National (maybe WE4) for sure, but I could have sworn it has fender flares and fender vents.

Anyone else seen this? I figured David Spade would drive a Honda Element or something, not a car like that.

From what I understand Spade is a MOPAR nut.  IIRC he owns the "Joe Dirt" Charger Daytona + a Road Runner & others.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Never got a view of the wheels. It's only a few blurry clips from what I saw, but I only caught a few seconds of it.

The clearest shot is of the interior, and it was the first one I saw. All you can really see is part of the door panel and the headliner. As a G-body freak I knew what it was right when I saw it.

Spade a Mopar freak. Huh, I guess it makes sense. Joe Dirt's a kick ass movie but I'm glad to see him wise up and go with a boosted Buick.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Spade a Mopar freak. Huh, I guess it makes sense. Joe Dirt's a kick ass movie but I'm glad to see him wise up and go with a boosted Buick.  

The "Darth Vader" looking later turbo Buicks just ooze "bad-ass" but I think I'd rather have one of the earlier non black ones & spend the extra $$$$$ turning up the hp.  I'm more of a sleeper kind of guy.  
My anti chevy bias doesn't preclude me from appreciating a nice Olds, Buick, or Caddy .
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I understand Spade is a MOPAR nut.  IIRC he owns the "Joe Dirt" Charger Daytona + a Road Runner & others.

It does not matter who you are, you WILL roll in a GNX. One of 547 of the baddest cars ever made.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It was decided long ago by men wiser than us, that if you are a REAL car guy, you have a Grand National.

Nuff said.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Check this one out
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It was decided long ago by men wiser than us, that if you are a REAL car guy, you have a Grand National.

Nuff said.  

I used to own one, does that count?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nuff said.  

As long as you didn't sell it to finance another hot rod, yes.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nuff said.  

As long as you didn't sell it to finance another hot rod, yes.  

I sold it because it needed a turbo rebuild and I didn't want to shell out the big bucks.

It was fun while it lasted though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
The GNX is by far the coolest Buick IMO. Hell, I'm an Olds freak and I'll admit I'd trade away my 1985 442 for one. (Come on, find me a GNX owner that wants to trade. )

I still think the coolest G-body car was the FE3X Cutlass 442, but the GNX was faster (in the quarter atleast) and made it into production. If it wasn't for the FE3X, it's rumored there wouldn't have been a Grand National at all.

Two very bad ass cars.

1984 FE3X Cutlass.

1987 Buick GNX.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
A little Grand National love...

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine just before I sold it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#17]
That body style was one of GM's best(Cutlass/Monte Carlo/Grand Prix/Regal),and built like a tank,QC was really on the ball with those.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought one back in 87 and beat it like a stepchild , but it
was just another GNX like everyone else's .

So I sold it and picked up it's sleeper cousin . A plain jane white regal T type
then swapped in a larger holset turbo with an adjustable wastegate along
with a custom burnt PROM , a Fairbanks built 700R4 and a ford 9" rear with
a detroit locker .

I used to love watching the GNX guys weep in my rearview mirror

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:20:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Several people here seem to be using GN and GNX interchangeably, for shame...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Several people here seem to be using GN and GNX interchangeably, for shame...

Not I!

Grand National and GNX
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

i2.tinypic.com/sni3hv.jpg
i2.tinypic.com/sni4v8.jpg
i2.tinypic.com/sni54x.jpg
i2.tinypic.com/sni5b7.jpg

Pontiac took that one better in 89....

Same engine, same turbo... But...

Of course, that's only a few cars, and only one year...

For a while, that car would reliably outrun it's V8 counterparts... Took 2 engine generations of 350 to catch up....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

udcnet.dyndns.biz/~dackl/89TA-1.jpg
udcnet.dyndns.biz/~dackl/89TA-2.jpg

For a while, that car would reliably outrun it's V8 counterparts... Took 2 engine generations of 350 to catch up....

TTA's are bad ass too, but I've heard from a few people that the heads they used on them weren't nearly as good. (IIRC, the TTA heads were off of the FWD standard 3.8 as the GN heads didn't clear the firewall in the F-bodies.)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only GM turbo fiend. Turbo Regals, Turbo Trans Ams, Syclones, and Typhoons all make me drool.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TTA's are bad ass too, but I've heard from a few people that the heads they used on them weren't nearly as good. (IIRC, the TTA heads were off of the FWD standard 3.8 as the GN heads didn't clear the firewall in the F-bodies.)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only GM turbo fiend. Turbo Regals, Turbo Trans Ams, Syclones, and Typhoons all make me drool.

I really appreciate those cars due to the fact that they have brought me to were I am today. once I discovered that I would never be able to afford a decent one, I picked up a turbo coupe, and then ditched that for a shadow. Now that I have the omni it seems as though the low dough method I have going wont let me escape its grasp.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#24]
TTA's are freaking expensive now a days, GN's sure aren't depreaciating, but Syclones and Typhoons are reaching the sub $10K price ranges now. When I first got into them you couldn't find a beater Ty with 100k miles for less than $12K. Now sub 50K mile mint Ty's sell for around that price.

Omnis are dirt cheap, not to mention they're probably one of the biggest sleepers ever made to this day. Definately one of, if not the best choice for the boost junky on a budget.

People seem to be getting the Dodge turbo Shadow/Duster platform moving along now too. A guy I know just sold his 11 second four door turbo Shadow to buy a Sy. Sad thing is that his Syclone is slower than his little four door FWD Mopar was.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really appreciate those cars due to the fact that they have brought me to were I am today. once I discovered that I would never be able to afford a decent one, I picked up a turbo coupe, and then ditched that for a shadow. Now that I have the omni it seems as though the low dough method I have going wont let me escape its grasp.  

The GLH???
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#26]
David Spades car is just a GN.  For all you ever wanted to know about turbo buicks check out turbobuick.com/ They are alot like an AR every one should own at least one and they become very addictive
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a maroon 4dr 93 century
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Nuff said.  

LOL
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Killingmachine123-  I would like to see some pics of your Omni.  I love those cars.  I've owned an 84 GLH, and 85 GLH turbo, and an 87 GLHS.  I used to own a nice 87 Grand National too, but I think I'd rather have an 86GLHS that another GN.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Just sold my Buick a 'coupla weeks ago...

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4622919837

This guy got a bargain, as he just BARELY popped my reserve.

I would've liked to see the bids go another grand or two higher.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Speaking of David Spade and Mopars, in the movie Joe Dirt there was a scene with a calendar and a Super Bird in the picture.  The car is owned by a friend of mine.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
David Spades car is just a GN.  For all you ever wanted to know about turbo buicks check out turbobuick.com/ They are alot like an AR every one should own at least one and they become very addictive

You can say that again.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Just sold my Buick a 'coupla weeks ago...

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4622919837

This guy got a bargain, as he just BARELY popped my reserve.

I would've liked to see the bids go another grand or two higher.

You sold the Buick??
Now what? another Camaro?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I worked with a guy in Denver at Chrysler Training that built a twin turbo for a TA just like that.  They are still working on an engine to catch it.  On of the fastest V6's I've ever rode in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top