Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 4:11:47 AM EDT

[QUOTE=eitspc5]I was inspired by Scott_FX

Nor sure what the deal is, maybe the flourescent lights, but the carpet match is not as off as it appears in these photos

Center Channel...Just thought it looked cool :)..

More can be found here:
www.ittoyou.com/pics/folderview.asp?folder=Vette+PC

and here:
www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65647

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#2]
He can play Half-Life 2 while driving now.... at least he won't be on his cellphone !

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The mouse is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually saw something akin to that on "Pimp My Ride".  Of course, LEO's have had computers in some form or another since the 80's.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He must sit in a lot of traffic.

must be from NVA
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Before the increased popularity or ipods and the ease of connectivity of them, I used to install quite a few computers into cars. I have done a bunch with wifi internet so a guy can surf and drive at the same time.

And that's LEGAL?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
i just saw a 350z with a computer like that installed in it with a 7inch screen...

it was pretty neat.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had computers in my car off and on since "retiring" my 486dx4 100Mhz laptop in '99.

Its interesting, but the novelty has worn off for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And that's LEGAL?

If visible from dirvers position...

Used to display video, games, internet.. illegal unless car is parked and parking brake set.

Used for GPS systems..legal

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:35:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that's LEGAL?

If visible from dirvers position...

Used to display video, games, internet.. illegal unless car is parked and parking brake set.

Used for GPS systems..legal

A lot of the retail systems are wired so you cant watch them while driving but it's an easy work around.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A lot of the retail systems are wired so you cant watch them while driving but it's an easy work around.

I know. Had a guy want us (when I  built conversion vehicles) to install his new JVC flipout monitor (about then they first came out). He wanted it to work when he's driving so his wife can watch movies. Apparently EVERY AUDIO SHOP in teh area told him they cant do that. Well we told him the same thing. Its our ASS if he got in an accident and the other people backtracked it to the installers and being a manufacturer, we'd get hosed big time. After he left in a huff, he came back 2 weeks later and said just put it in (rich people, gotta love em). My super told me to replace EVERY wire in teh JVC harness with black ones, run a dummy wire to the parking brake switch and hook up the actual trigger to the brake light behind the dash. Yes it would work if his brakes failed, but if that happened, well, the monitor is the least of the worries. Also taped the wires into different looms to hide them. We also did the install for half what teh audio shops wanted. But being so used to doing suburbans (which is what we built into conversions), it was pretty much a 30 min job.

Lightning, the FMVSS has the regs on this. If I still worked there I could go through the books (HUGE books that we had to have on hand) and find the actual reg.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone with too much time and money!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have often been told that these kinds of things are illegal if you can see it from teh drivers seat, but I have yet to have anybody quote me section of code that prohibits them.

Computers in the car, being used while driving is a bad thing, they will distract you. Myself I have at different times had anything from a nine inch screen built into a console to the good old laptop on the passenger seat (that is the best solution really).

Like Bigscrun mentioned a few years ago lots of the more geeky types would set these up so they could play MP3s in thier car, and maybe do some surfing in gridlock. With Ipods coming into widespread use and the major car audio manufactorers integrating them into thier systems thier just isn't as much need for a PC in the car.

The one thing I find a PC to be extremely usefull for in the car is GPS. I would rather have a 15" screen and learn the hotkeys than the dinky little displays on the standalone units anyday. The larger screen is easier to see, and you can fit a lot more info on the screen.

Is there a GPS that plugs into and runs from a laptop?

ETA: Found one for $100!

www.delorme.com/earthmatelt20/default.asp
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have often been told that these kinds of things are illegal if you can see it from teh drivers seat, but I have yet to have anybody quote me section of code that prohibits them.

The section of code would depend on which state you were in.

In VA it's -
SS 46.2-1077   TV VISIBLE TO DRIVER, REGISTER OR DRIVE VEHICLE WITH

Video displays in motor vehicles. Prohibits drivers of motor vehicles from viewing any motion picture or video display while driving
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#17]
These guys always have some cool shit to stuff in your truck.

commerce.karpc.com/
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

many states have a generic all encompassing "distracted driving" law
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:58:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Someone with too much time and money!

It's not hard or expensive if you know what you are doing.

I have a homemade MP3/WMA player setup in my truck made out of an old P2 500, 256 meg ram, and a 100 GB harddrive.

Works fine and was cheap and easy to do.

Than again, I designed and maintain a pretty good sized network for a day job.

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top