Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 1:39:01 PM EDT
I bought my '02 Explorer XLT brand new in '03 as a left over. The truck came with a 3rd row seat, leather, CD changer, etc. Got a good price and was very happy for a few months, then the problems began to surface. Here's my list:

Sway bar bushings went at 7,000 miles. Going over the slightest (and I mean slightest) bump made a horrendous creaking noise from the front end. Required 2 days at the dealer, no loaner.

Winter of '03/'04 my four wheel drive went out. Took a month and a half to get an appointment to fix. I now know that a Ford Explorer is a true pig in 2wd in the snow. Getting a loaner was like pulling teeth.

Same winter, a piece of the body molding cracked in half (under rear window) from extreme temperatures. Yep, the truck actually self destructed in the cold. I have seen this defect on 3 other Ford Explorers.

The transmission required a module of some type to be replaced at about 18,000 miles. The car lurched out of park like a 15 year old POS, not a relatively new $33,000 truck and required another trip to the dealer. The dealer was familiar with this apparently common issue.

Apparently there was a recall issued on this truck to have the liftglass replaced as I received a notification in the mail from Ford. My dealer advised me to call back in a few weeks

2 or 3 months ago I noticed the paint cracking on the hood. Upon closer inspection it became apparent that the entire hood was covered with small cracks and splits, revealing the primer underneath. My dealer advised me that although the truck was still within it's original 3 years/36,000 mile warranty, this was not covered. Whatever.

Finally, 2 or 3 days before I finalized my decision to buy a new vehicle my 6 disc in dash CD changer shit the bed. CDs would neither load or eject. That was the straw that broke the camel's back, and I bought a new '05 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT shortly thereafter.

I had issues with the one previous Ford I had owned, an '88 Mustang. I almost learned my lesson from that experience, this time around I definitely learned. No more Ford products for me or mine.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad you sold your Ford.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Fords ain't nothing but shit:

My family has had(in no particular order)
-'85 Tempo that mysteriously had the trunk lock pop out, the clock go out, A/C die, and finally the trans blew.
-'85 F-350 that had brakes go out on my dad and have my dad have an accident on the tollway.
-'84 F-350 that blew two engines on my dad
-'89 F-350(company truck) that was problematic, my dad wasw replacing everything from p/s pumps to differentials(IIRC) and other stuff
-'81 Fairmont that was a POS that broke down every month.  Finally the engine blew.

Last Ford was a '94 Aerostar that was not THAT bad save for the oil pan rusting and also the A/C blew and the driver's door lock never worked.

ETA-my dad also had an '86 Mustang four-banger which was a POS that overheated and blew a trans.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
We bought an '03 Ford Explorer two years ago this week. 19K trouble-free miles. May be the best vehicle I've ever owned.

[shrugs]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

-'85 Tempo that mysteriously had the trunk lock pop out, the clock go out, A/C die, and finally the trans blew.
-'85 F-350 that had brakes go out on my dad and have my dad have an accident on the tollway.
-'89 F-350(company truck) that was problematic, my dad wasw replacing everything from p/s pumps to differentials(IIRC) and other stuff
-'81 Fairmont that was a POS that broke down every month.  Finally the engine blew.

Last Ford was a '94 Aerostar that was not THAT bad save for the oil pan rusting and also the A/C blew and the driver's door lock never worked.

ETA-my dad also had an '86 Mustang four-banger which was a POS that overheated and blew a trans.  

Wow sounds like bad luck. So this stuff happened when these vehicles were relatively new?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow sounds like bad luck. So this stuff happened when these vehicles were relatively new?

All of the above were used.  There's one Ford that we did have that we had very little problems.  We had a '90 Festiva my sister used for college, then my dad had it until it too died.  Technically it wasn't a Ford.  Go figure.  

But as DOW said, YMMV and all that stuff.  You could say the Aerostar was relatively new, since we had that from '01 to '03.  And that was 7 y/o when we bought it in 01.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Every make has lemons,,,,it the nature of the assembly line beast..........

I've driven frods exclusively and only had toruble out of one of them.

My father was a die hard Chevy man until the tranny locked up at 800 miles...( it was the last chevey he ever owned.1993 3/4 ton)...............

Shit happens
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Every make has lemons,,,,it the nature of the assembly line beast..........

I've driven frods exclusively and only had toruble out of one of them.

My father was a die hard Chevy man until the tranny locked up at 800 miles...( it was the last chevey he ever owned.1993 3/4 ton)...............

Shit happens

+1

My parents owned a delivery company a while back, and they bought ford vans because they were cehaper.

I will tell you that I have ridden in more E350s with over 1 MILLION miles than I will probably see again in my life time.

I would also like to state that if you have a POS lemon like you had you are better off to sell it before it pours rather than rains.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, my uncle has a 99-01 Ford model van with a V6 that he uses working for a delivery company. It has over 300,000 miles with nothing replaced besides regular service components. He said all he does is try to change the oil every 2,000 miles.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a 97 F-150 in the driveway with original motor and trans w/ 387,000 miles on the clock.  Only thing it has required was coils, alternator(s), and misc. fluid changes.  Also have a 97 Mark VIII that I've only had to put an alternator and a brake booster on.  I had a 95 T-bird w/ 120k and only put an alternator on it.  I've had exceptionally good luck with Fords.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh Buddy.  I have an 01 civic ex with 85,000 miles on it.  Only problem was a burnt out wiring harness at 40K which was covered under a service bulletin.  Oil change every 6-7K and average 35mpg.  Tires will need replaced again at 100,000 as well as brake pads in the front, and I'll do all that myself along with the 100K service.  Tranny fluid was changed at 60K and that's it...

Girlfriend had a 98 Ford Contour with 80,000 miles on it.

Went through 1 alternator and 3 batteries (corroded them all to hell)
Sunroof jammed and broke 2 times (plastic worm gear rubbed itself out in the heat)
Door locks quit working
Drivers window got stuck in the down position.
All tires wear out like no other.  Lucky to get 30K on a tire.  Some wear on the sides, some on the middle.
Interior light stays on constantly near the drivers feet.  Really annloying at night.
Other misc problems I can't think of off the top of my head.  The car absolutely SUCKS!

I smartened her up and now she has an 04 toyota corolla.  That thing is smooth and quiet as a lexus.  I love the car.  I plan on keeping my civic as a 2nd car if I ever decide on another one, but plan on putting 500,000K on it with regular service and care.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#12]
There's a reason why they're called Exploders.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Explorer = #1 selling SUV in America.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's too bad.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody should do a study how many people are repeat   Explorer buyers. I bet there aren't many.

Regarding some above posts, I also hear great things about Ford vans and pickups. I would still buy an F150 as I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Somebody should do a study how many people are repeat Explorer buyers.

I know quite a few repeat Explorer buyers.  Almost all of them are women who have husbands that have to deal with the hassle of keeping the thing running.  Since they're not the ones that have to deal with it, they don't care.  It's a little like the guys I know who have wives with those troublesome Hondas.  They all have major problems, but their wives all want another Honda since they're not the ones that have to hassle with the problems.z
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somebody should do a study how many people are repeat   Explorer buyers. I bet there aren't many.

Regarding some above posts, I also hear great things about Ford vans and pickups. I would still buy an F150 as I've heard nothing but good things about them.

DOW, I would dissuade you from buying an F-150.  I'm sure that there would be recalls and other issues with them, or at least what I've heard.  I'd probably reccomend a Silverado in a heartbeat.

No more Ford products for me or mine.

Not to be rude, but last time I checked, an F-150 IS a Ford.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yeah, I know. Let's call it a retroactive exception.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know. Let's call it a retroactive exception.

Okay.

Just like I'd probably never buy a dodge but let's say the SRT-10 Quad Cab is the exception!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Somebody should do a study how many people are repeat Explorer buyers.

I know quite a few repeat Explorer buyers.  Almost all of them are women who have husbands that have to deal with the hassle of keeping the thing running.  Since they're not the ones that have to deal with it, they don't care.  It's a little like the guys I know who have wives with those troublesome Hondas.  They all have major problems, but their wives all want another Honda since they're not the ones that have to hassle with the problems.z

Yeah, all the Fords except the three F-Series were driven by my mom, and who was saddled with the responsibillity of fixing the damn things?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Interestingly, the only maintenance I've had to do in two years of Explorer ownership is change the oil and put gas in the tank.

Oh yeah, and vacuum it every now and then.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a 02 eddie bauer in 03. 14k on the clock for 22k. Drove it for 26k and traded it in yesterday for a 05 nissan Pathfinder. i did not have much trouble with it . at 36200 mile the 4x4 module crapped out and stuck me in 2wd fulltime. Called the dealer and ask him since I was only 200 mile over the warramty could Ford help me out. 36k IS 36K was his reply. So i replaced the module myself  and drove it 6k more and got rid of it yesterday. I have heard of tranny problems in the 02 and 03's.

The 02 replaced my 93 xlt that I bought used with 100k on itand drove it for another 85k No problem except for the control arm bushings and fuel vaccum reggulater.

i actully would reccomend not buying a new one as they depriciate so quickly. Also the new models are almost impossible to work on at home because of all th electronics.

i doubt I will buy another Ford again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I bought a 02 eddie bauer in 03. 14k on the clock for 22k. Drove it for 26k and traded it in yesterday for a 05 nissan Pathfinder. i did not have much trouble with it . at 36200 mile the 4x4 module crapped out and stuck me in 2wd fulltime. Called the dealer and ask him since I was only 200 mile over the warramty could Ford help me out. 36k IS 36K was his reply. So i replaced the module myself  and drove it 6k more and got rid of it yesterday. I have heard of tranny problems in the 02 and 03's.

The 02 replaced my 93 xlt that I bought used with 100k on itand drove it for another 85k No problem except for the control arm bushings and fuel vaccum reggulater.

i actully would reccomend not buying a new one as they depriciate so quickly. Also the new models are almost impossible to work on at home because of all th electronics.

Yeah, after he said "36K is 36K" you should have told the dealer to go F himself.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#24]
My dad has been lucky with the used truck/van/SUV dealer he goes to.  It's a little hole in the wall place, but he has bought 3 vehicles from there('95 Chevy C-3500. '94 Ford Aerostar, and '97 Chevy C-2500.)  The dealer goes out of his way to help out a loyal customer.  

My dad had a problem with the rims he put on my dad's 97, they were rubbing against the A frames, so the dealer bought a set of rims(my dad did put 150 in though) and the tire dealer the dealer went to put the rims on.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true, the inservice date and odometer mileage at time of retail delivery is when then clock starts. When I bought my last Ford, new it had 385 miles on it, so the warranty went until 36385, not a flat 36000. The ford dealership can easily look up the inservice date a beginning mileage point. Too bad you ran into an asshole.

+1.  There are good dealers, and there are asshole dealers.  The salesmen are the biggest bunch.

I remember the last time my sister was car-shopping, before she got her current car.  My sister went into a dealership to look at a Mitsubishi Montero Sport.  The salesman wanted to talk to her about the CarFax instead of selling her the car.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#27]
My FIL has a 2004 Ford Explorer.  The tranny had to be rebuilt at 38000 miles.  He called ford asking for them to repair it and their word was: tough luck.

The tranny swallowed a gear if I remember correctly.

Ford has burned way too many of us.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#28]
My wife has a '92 Nissan Pathfinder.  Since we've owned it, I've had to:

- Get it tuned up once or twice
- Replace the timing belt/chain - once
- Replace the water pump (not needed but did it while timing chain business was going on)
- Replace all the tires about 6 times
- Replace the belts twice, maybe
- New brakes at least once
- Probably other stuff, but this is enough.

As you can see, it's real piece of crap, I should sell it tomorrow!

'Course, since I bought it new in 1992 and it's now got +265,000 miles, I'll probably keep it for my soon-to-be 16 year old daughter.

Whattya think?

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

- Replace the water pump (not needed but did it while timing chain business was going on)

'Course, since I bought it new in 1992 and it's now got +265,000 miles, I'll probably keep it for my soon-to-be 16 year old daughter.

Whattya think?

Sure, give a new driver a POS and a rolling deathtrap.

Go on the lookout for a good, solid used car.  Like an older police Caprice, or a big 70's car, something she can drive the hell out of and it not take a beating.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I may have to convince the wife that our '03 Explorer really is    a POS and that we need to get rid of it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whattya think?

Sure, give a new driver a POS and a rolling deathtrap.

Go on the lookout for a good, solid used car.  Like an older police Caprice, or a big 70's car, something she can drive the hell out of and it not take a beating.  

I see here that I was a little too subtle with my humor, but I didn't want to make it too obvious with a smilie icon.  Oh well.

I will take your advice, though, and be on the lookout for a "good, solid used car...".  In fact, I think I'll go "look out" in my garage right now and make sure the Pathfinder is still there .....

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top