Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 7:42:13 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting one of these in the next month or so and wanted to see if anyone owned one and what they thought of it.  I don't quite need a full size truck, but i need something bigger than say a tacoma.  I test drove one and it felt great, but i just wanted some long term impressions of them.  

i'm also considering an F150 and a Titan.  thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I had two tundras they are nice but they had that rotton egg smell
which I couldn't stand >If I where you I would check for that it's terrible!!
Now I have 05 Tacoma it's great and drives almost like the Tundra
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Tundra (2001), and its the greatest truck I've ever owned.  I dont know about this rotten egg smell thing?  Do you mean when the air conditioning is turned on?

Anyway, it's the perfect size in my opinion.  It's big enough to carry most of what I need to carry, small enough to drive daily and not have to worry about parking spots or narrow lanes or any of that crap.  It has plenty of power (245... I believe the new ones have 282 or something), is great for towing as long as you don't get too out of control with the weight, a really quiet, smooth and 'car-like' ride on the road.  Great in the snow.  Everything.  

The ONLY thing that sort of bothers me is when you roll the windows down halfway, they rattle over bumps in the road.  But I got used to that long ago, and it's really not that bad.  Everything else, I cannot say enough good about.  I have had no problems, no weird noises, no rattling (other than the windows), the seats are comfortable, etc etc.  I get nothing but praise from people who ride in it.  

Great truck.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Been beating the hell out of mine since February 2000 and havent had to do anything to it beyond normal maintenance.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure only size difference is that there is a quad cab tundra available now.  For the Tundras, anyway.

The new Tacomas are something like 4" wider and 3" longer for the regular, extra cab, and quad cab short beds, now.  Then there is the quad cab long bed which is looong.  But I'm not sure of the numbers, so don't quote me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 2000 and it doesn't rattle or smell funny either.  I think they are great trucks, but I would have expected no less from a Toyota product.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Longer and wider
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah, the new tacomas are actually bigger than the older T100 model.  i buy used cars, so this'll probably be an 01-03 model.  thanks for the input.  what's the gas mileage like on them?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
around 20 mph highway 17 city
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
wow, that's better than i would've thought.........
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
around 20 mph highway 17 city

+1.
That about nails it.

I think you would not regret buying one at all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Your best bet with the Tundra.  The Titan might be dealing with the first, second year Quality issues, and
F-series are crap.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#13]
cool deal- sounds great.  i keep hearing about brakes and o2 sensors with these things...

has anyone experienced these problems and are there certain trims/years of the tundras that are worse than others..

otherwise this is what i'm gonna do.  thanks.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The rotten egg smell is caused by a bad catlytic convertor. They certainly all don't smell like a rotten egg.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
My little brother just got in a head on accident (not his fault) in his 02 Tundra at a combined speed of about 60 to 70 mph, and walked away with very minor injuries, while the truck was totaled.  He happily bought a 05 Doublecab  I was following him when the accident occurred and still cannot believe that he was OK.  They needed to use the jaws of life to get the passenger out of the oncoming truck(Chevy) that made a left in front of my brother causing the accident  I honestly feel that this truck saved my brother's life
P.S.  He was very happy with the truck before the accident as well!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
cool deal- sounds great.  i keep hearing about brakes and o2 sensors with these things...

has anyone experienced these problems and are there certain trims/years of the tundras that are worse than others..

otherwise this is what i'm gonna do.  thanks.

Ahh.. brakes.  Forgot about that.  Some people have had problems with warped front rotors, I guess.  I think it happens with all models of Toyota trucks, but my Tundra has not had any problems with it.  Mine has about 33k miles on it and everything is perfect with it.  My friends '99 Tacoma on the other hand, had the warped rotors problem... but you would only notice it while applying the brakes (not hard) while going down hill.  It would start shaking a little.  He went and got an alignment, which cleared some of it up, and took it to a brake shop to have his rotors resurfaced.  It only cost him $90 and it has been perfect ever since.

I have also heard of people complaining about the o2 sensors going out, but haven't ever talked to someone it actually happened too.  I'm also under the impression that this is a really cheap fix, as well.

And as far as I know, Tundras rated verrry well with safety.  I've seen a couple that have been wrecked, and the Tundra in both cases seemed to fair MUCH better than the other vehicle.  Take that for what its worth...

ETA:  Not too sure on the different trims.  I think as long as you get the V8 you will be ok.  I think the Limited or TRD versions have an electronic locking rear diff, and the TRD has some bilstein shocks that aren't anything special.. or worth the extra money in my opinion.  I have an SR5.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Go with a crew cab F-150 and don't look back.

My '04 4x4 rides like a Caddilac.  It is by far the best overall vehicle I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a 1992 Ford Explorer that I bought with less than 100k miles on it.  As soon as it hit 100k, the tranny melted (plastic gears) and the clutch went out.  At 102k, the clutch went out again.  At 105k the power steering system went out.  At 108k the alternator went out.  I didn't drive this thing so hard that any of that should've happened so soon.

After I finally got rid of that piece of crap, I bought a 1990 Toyota pickup that I still own.  I bought it with 175k, everything (including the clutch) was original.  It now has 203k on the clock, and everything is still original and it still runs excellent.  My 1990 Toyota and 2001 Tundra are both amazing.

Never again will I own a ford.  Unless it's a '62 Lincoln Continental.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had a 1992 Ford Explorer that I bought with less than 100k miles on it.  As soon as it hit 100k, the tranny melted (plastic gears) and the clutch went out.  At 102k, the clutch went out again.  At 105k the power steering system went out.  At 108k the alternator went out.  I didn't drive this thing so hard that any of that should've happened so soon.

After I finally got rid of that piece of crap, I bought a 1990 Toyota pickup that I still own.  I bought it with 175k, everything (including the clutch) was original.  It now has 203k on the clock, and everything is still original and it still runs excellent.  My 1990 Toyota and 2001 Tundra are both amazing.

Never again will I own a ford.  Unless it's a '62 Lincoln Continental.

Had a similar experience...'99 Ranger that melted a tranny AND threw a rod at 100k.

Bought a Tacoma TRD 4x4, and it has performed like a champ.

I will never own another Ford.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I went from a 1990 Toyota Tacoma, sold it and bought a 2005 Tundra V8. The only thing I don't like between the two truck is, the Tundra gas mileage, compared to the Tacoma, it blows. But overall I love it.

Ford, urg, my wife has an 2004 Explorer that has been back to the dealer so many damn times. The latest is, each of the four tires lose air constantly. Every week I'm putting air in these tires. Of coarse Ford says there is no problem.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#22]
What do the Tundra's cost mildly to fully loaded?

ETA:  I just priced one out, and for about 28K you can get a pretty loaded one.  NOT BAD.

With that said, I loved my 87 TOyota that had the orriginal brakes, clutch, etc. when I sold it at 160K

My Tundra was nice, well refined, but just didn't seem like it had the longevity of the orriginal with all the crap they put on it nowadays.

I went with a Ford F250 SD with the Diesel/Torqueshift.  36K, and it comes with a 100K mile engine warranty.  I know the 6.0 had alot of problems, but felt at ease after I saw my buddies turn 300K the other day

IMHO:  Check out the FORD
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ETA:  I just priced one out, and for about 28K you can get a pretty loaded one.  NOT BAD.

With that said, I loved my 87 TOyota that had the orriginal brakes, clutch, etc. when I sold it at 160K

My Tundra was nice, well refined, but just didn't seem like it had the longevity of the orriginal with all the crap they put on it nowadays.

I went with a Ford F250 SD with the Diesel/Torqueshift.  36K, and it comes with a 100K mile engine warranty.  I know the 6.0 had alot of problems, but felt at ease after I saw my buddies turn 300K the other day

I got my 2005 Tundra Access cab V8 Limited 2WD for $23,300.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my 2005 Tundra Access cab V8 Limited 2WD for $23,300.

I feel 2WD is like being castrated.  I Personally need it for where I am (NY) and where Im going (CO).

Thats a great price!!!!

Hope you don't pull anything heavy tho.  I went through two trannies pulling my enclosed trailer!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top