Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2022 3:22:11 PM EDT
Everywhere I drive, every parking lot, I see 2000-2015 Hondas with significantly deteriorating clearcoat. Literally 80-90% of the cars I see with bad factory clearcoat are Hondas.

What gives? They are not cheap cars.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Where do you live?

All makes and models have clear failures, some more than others.

Here in Texas everything gets baked. Proper care can help longevity but it seems at 10-15 years the clear just starts to break down.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Everywhere I drive, every parking lot, I see 2000-2015 Hondas with significantly deteriorating clearcoat. Literally 80-90% of the cars I see with bad factory clearcoat are Hondas.

What gives? They are not cheap cars.

View Quote

Maybe the period of EPA-mandated transition from solvent-based to H2O-based paints & clears. If you look around, it's not just Honda, not just one paint Mfr.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where do you live?

All makes and models have clear failures, some more than others.

Here in Texas everything gets baked. Proper care can help longevity but it seems at 10-15 years the clear just starts to break down.
View Quote

North Texas.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Honda has put out multiple warranty extensions on multiple vehicles for paint issues that fall into those years.

This issue is the “stealership” mentality. Because people think the dealer just wants to screw them they don’t go to the dealer. So they can’t be informed because Honda doesn’t have an updated address for them.

Dealers love paint warranty extensions. They write the car up. Send it to the body shop, then mark up the body shop bill and it’s nothing but profit.

Most are now out of the warranty extensions so it’s too damn late.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Guarantee they weren't garage kept.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Honda has put out multiple warranty extensions on multiple vehicles for paint issues that fall into those years.

This issue is the "stealership" mentality. Because people think the dealer just wants to screw them they don't go to the dealer. So they can't be informed because Honda doesn't have an updated address for them.

Dealers love paint warranty extensions. They write the car up. Send it to the body shop, then mark up the body shop bill and it's nothing but profit.

Most are now out of the warranty extensions so it's too damn late.
View Quote
Not all of them do. Toyota has a warranty enhancement going on with the Blizzard Pearl and Super White and our Collision Center has to repair it per Toyota's instructions and it is not all profit. This past week I watched email traffic of our Collision Center Manager argue with the warranty dept and a Toyota Field Engineer due to Toyota not wanting to pay the Collision Center to remove a panel that is needed to be removed so they can access and remove another panel to be painted correctly. However, in the bulletin it clearly states they can be paid to remove the additional panel as needed.

Yes, there will always be a certain percentage of markups. One thing is for sure, the manufacturer cuts corners for paint repairs under warranty enhancements and if it creates an issue, they will NOT pay to paint it again. That's on the collision center.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not all of them do. Toyota has a warranty enhancement going on with the Blizzard Pearl and Super White and our Collision Center has to repair it per Toyota's instructions and it is not all profit. This past week I watched email traffic of our Collision Center Manager argue with the warranty dept and a Toyota Field Engineer due to Toyota not wanting to pay the Collision Center to remove a panel that is needed to be removed so they can access and remove another panel to be painted correctly. However, in the bulletin it clearly states they can be paid to remove the additional panel as needed.

Yes, there will always be a certain percentage of markups. One thing is for sure, the manufacturer cuts corners for paint repairs under warranty enhancements and if it creates an issue, they will NOT pay to paint it again. That's on the collision center.
View Quote

Our body shop is a seperate company. So it’s free money for us to write it up and send it through. Even if we have a 50 percent markup instead of 60 it’s still free money.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah that is different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top