Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2020 9:54:43 PM EDT
@littlepony My daughter has a 2015 Veloster.
I know you are very familiar with the 4cyl engine that's in it.
What can you tell me about any recalls? I think she may have had that connecting rod failure. There is massive loss of oil, and extremely, mechanically loud. Something inside has definitely failed.

Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Might help if you page him correctly.
@LittlePony
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might help if you page him correctly.
@LittlePony
View Quote

Thanks. Sometimes my internetting skills suck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@lilPony. My daughter has a 2015 Veloster.
I know you are very familiar with the 4cyl engine that's in it.
What can you tell me about any recalls? I think she may have had that connecting rod failure. There is massive loss of oil, and extremely, mechanically loud. Something inside has definitely failed.

Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

the hell?

those only have Gammas and Nu's save for the rare and new N models

tow it to your nearest hyundai dealer and keep the tow receipt.

i cant tell you to much about them on reacalls, i have no access to them, or even their service manual, hyundai and kia are not as integrated compared to say ford group or GM

oil change when? please tell me she is good on that ...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Never mind....
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

the hell?

those only have Gammas and Nu's save for the rare and new N models

tow it to your nearest hyundai dealer and keep the tow receipt.

i cant tell you to much about them on reacalls, i have no access to them, or even their service manual, hyundai and kia are not as integrated compared to say ford group or GM

oil change when? please tell me she is good on that ...
View Quote
Yes. The noise started after her last oil change a few weeks ago. She didn't bring it to my attention until it sounded like it was about to come apart.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Hyundai/KIA have multiple engine recalls for engine damage, 2015 is included.
"Rod knock" wrist pin damage is a symptom listed on at least one of the recalls.

Just google the make, model, recall, 2015.
A call with your VIN to the dealership service department and they will run it for open recalls.

If the oil changes weren't performed at the dealer then get your paperwork together, if you have an internal engine issues that doesn't exactly match a recall they may want to see them.
Even a receipt for the oil filter/oil is considered.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hyundai/KIA have multiple engine recalls for engine damage, 2015 is included.
"Rod knock" wrist pin damage is a symptom listed on at least one of the recalls.

Just google the make, model, recall, 2015.
A call with your VIN to the dealership service department and they will run it for open recalls.

If the oil changes weren't performed at the dealer then get your paperwork together, if you have an internal engine issues that doesn't exactly match a recall they may want to see them.
Even a receipt for the oil filter/oil is considered.

Good luck.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice.

eta: no open recalls on 2015 model year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Welp, she's DOA.  Pulled the plugs and put a camera down in the cylinder.  

Cylinder 1 spark plug

Attachment Attached File

Well, that's not good, so I got the camera and stuck it down in the cylinder to see the piston. Except I was looking at the top of the connecting rod with the wrist pin still in it. No piston head in sight. I believe there was a catastrophic failure (obviously) causing the piston head to slam into the head and the spark plug blew a hole through the piston, and the same time, the wrist pin shattered the sides of the piston head, allowing the connecting rod and wrist pin to break off. I believe the actual piston head is jammed up all the way to the head, with it's face blown out. Those fragments are probably in the oil pan and too big to come out the drain hole.

Cylinders 2,3,&4 looked fine with the camera.

Now to find someone who can fix this turd.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Yikes is all I can say.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it at the dealership?

One of the recalls pertains to a fuel management update that caused piston/wrist pin.

How many miles?

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is it at the dealership?

One of the recalls pertains to a fuel management update that caused piston/wrist pin.

How many miles?

View Quote

hyundai had a recall for that?

on the kia side we have no such thing.

if they do and for some reason the PCM was not updated you might get a free engine
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is it at the dealership?

How many miles?

View Quote

No open recalls.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

if they do and for some reason the PCM was not updated you might get a free engine
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it at the dealership?

How many miles?

My research showed that they recalled about 20,000 2013  Velosters. Nothing at all for 2014 & 15. Many people said Hyundai just ignored their complaints.

I'm pretty sure yanking the motor and replacing it is just as time intensive as a rebuild. I'm exploring my options. There are a lot of ifs with the rebuild. #1 being I've never ever rebuilt a foreign anything. Lol.....She can't just say "to hell with it" because she owes on it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#14]
You might as well rebuild it. Or find a junkyard engine. It is already broken.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes. The noise started after her last oil change a few weeks ago. She didn't bring it to my attention until it sounded like it was about to come apart.
View Quote
Wasnt serviced by the dealership?

10 year /100k warr, for the original owner, I guess she purchased use?
The reason Hyundai/KIA have a 10/100k drivetrain warranty is because of engines blowing up.
They buy more warranty engines than any other manufacturer Ive ever seen.

If you have all your maintenance records I'd still ask for help from the factory.
If the dealer isn't helping Id ask to speak to the factory rep and try to work a deal : they pay for the long block and you pick up the rest.

The dealer is going to want the car there before they do anything for you.
Good luck

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Welp, she's DOA.  Pulled the plugs and put a camera down in the cylinder.  

Cylinder 1 spark plug

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88151/67266EB5-E000-4EF0-8074-C6F8EAFF3D1C_jpe-1426922.JPG

Well, that's not good, so I got the camera and stuck it down in the cylinder to see the piston. Except I was looking at the top of the connecting rod with the wrist pin still in it. No piston head in sight. I believe there was a catastrophic failure (obviously) causing the piston head to slam into the head and the spark plug blew a hole through the piston, and the same time, the wrist pin shattered the sides of the piston head, allowing the connecting rod and wrist pin to break off. I believe the actual piston head is jammed up all the way to the head, with it's face blown out. Those fragments are probably in the oil pan and too big to come out the drain hole.

Cylinders 2,3,&4 looked fine with the camera.

Now to find someone who can fix this turd.
View Quote

Ouch!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top