Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2017 1:14:52 AM EDT
Well, the other day I had a tiny mishap and fell off my bike as I was trying to maneuver it around the stepped sidewalk around the back of my house. Took a little fall and whacked my elbow and gave myself a slight fracture.

I'm eager to hop back on the bike, but at the same time I am...skiddish.

Call me a pussy but a tiny tip like that and a broken arm really puts my mortality into perspective.

What's the worst injury you have recovered from and hopped back into the saddle?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Compound fracture of my right leg (car pulled out of a driveway in front of me).  It was a bitch rebuilding the bike, but it was ready to go before I was.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:04:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Compound fracture of my right leg (car pulled out of a driveway in front of me).  It was a bitch rebuilding the bike, but it was ready to go before I was.
View Quote
God damn, what was it like hopping back on for the first time?

And having gone through that, would you make the same choices again? (Getting into riding)
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:39:01 AM EDT
[#3]
You could get killed walking your doggy....... get busy living.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Got that shit right, since I have a minor fracture I am wondering just how soon I can hop back on.... think 4 days is good?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:03:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

God damn, what was it like hopping back on for the first time?

And having gone through that, would you make the same choices again? (Getting into riding)
View Quote
I still had a cast when I got back on.  I had to use only the front brake.  It was hell.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I feel ya bro, sometimes I go down some dangerous mountain bike dirt paths and mess myself up. Then while I'm healing I'll be just chilling on the nice smooth paved paths. 

Of course I had a friend get hit by a car while on his bike and he broke a lot of bones. He was in the hospital for a while. But he eventually got back on the bike. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I almost tore off my lower lip and knocked out/broke in half 4 teeth when I was 10.

Always wear a full faces helmet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
At the end of Last September I broke my scapula. Actually I broke the whole end off, but for a break it really wasn't bad in that it didn't require surgery. After two weeks I was able to lift my arm high enough to reach the bars again...good enough for me, I was back on.

As a break it was terribly painful. By far the worst I have ever had plus the rest of the soft tissue damage. But considering I have had 7-10 other fractures that weren't motorcycle related I guess I realize that shit happens.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Compound fracture Tib & Fib 3 years 2 months, 4 surgeries and a near future ankle fusion with frame and I will ride again.

A texter rearend me going 60 in a 35.

Destroyed my new street glide
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Compound fracture Tib & Fib 3 years 2 months, 4 surgeries and a near future ankle fusion with frame and I will ride again.

View Quote
Just curious about the outcome of this. Did you receive a settlement? I always wonder how the insurance companies handle stuff like this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I high sided myself into low earth orbit at close to 100mph. While I walked away without a scratch (yes, really.......good gear saved my life) I had an insane concussion, I'm still missing a hour or two of time and every single part of my body hurt for months. I'm still not right, and it's been a few years.

I was back on a bike less than a week later, but it took almost a year to the day before I set foot on a track again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Broke my left collar bone back(Fractured clavicle) first week of May on my motorcycle.  I was in full gear going 45 mph when I hit gravel.  The damage to my body would have been worst if I weren't wearing my Aerostich power ranger suit.  The bone healed and I did not need surgery.  I was in a shoulder sling for 7 weeks.

healing via Physical therapy was slow as shit so I took a more aggressive approach and went Acupuncture with cupping therapy.  Much more efficient.

The ortho doctor was even amazed at my recovery and said it was fine to hop back on the bike 2.5 months later after injury.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I've crashed a number of bikes in 36+ years of riding. All my fault. I told myself each time...don't do that again.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I broke my foot in 4 places this May while on a bike.

It made me want to immediately get back on the bike and ride better/more.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I broke my foot in 4 places this May while on a bike.

It made me want to immediately get back on the bike and ride better/more.
View Quote
Like a champ lol, I'm pretty sure I broke something in my foot too since my crash bar landed on the side of my foot, but I have broken those bones many times and they don't bother me much.

I hopped back on the bike today only 4 days after my drop. I'm sore but I love riding too much to stop lol.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I compound fractured my tibia,fibia, tallus and femur. 12 surgies, skin grafts,muscle graft,hardware . Ankle still pretty much shot.

I got t boned and caught some airtime, no helmet. I was going 85 mph.

Yes, I wear a helmet now and fullface.

Took 1 year almost exactly to walk and ride again. Had anxiety for a few weeks riding. Had a bad anxiety attack first ride back in the saddle
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
This is from my thread back in December in the .mil section- "I fell off my bike on the 19th, right before the start of block leave. 30mph onto the pavement, landed squarely on my shoulder. Went to the ER, initial X-Rays showed nothing broken. Platoon Sgt was with me when it happened, so CoC was in the loop.

At the start, I had no movement at the shoulder, and extreme pain whenever I tried to move my arm. After a week, I had gotten some movement back, but could only raise my arm straight up, but not out, at the shoulder. So, I had axial rotation, but only about 30 degrees of radial. Six days after the accident, I felt a pop in my shoulder, coupled with extreme pain, at 0630 and again at 0730 when I tried to adjust position in the bed. I called the TMC the next day (closed due to the holiday) and got in to be seen. Got sent to Ortho, had more X-Rays and a CT, and it turns out that I have a fractured clavicle. Apparently, the fracture may have been too small to show up at the ER, and when I tweaked it later it made it worse."

It was a couple of months before I could get back on the bike, mostly because of pain in my shoulder when I tried to move the bars. As soon as I could move them without pain, I was back on the bike! I still have pain, especially at the end of the day if I have been doing a lot of lifting and moving around.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Hit head on in my lane. Closing speed about 85.

All the gear all the time. Concussion, banged up left shoulder, elbow, and wrist from landing ( far behind the car).  Was rolled out of the ER about 11 hours later.

Couldnt ride for a few months due to concussion, but got another bike (same make and model) and got back on...
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Not as bad as many here, but...

Low sided at about 100mph exiting turn 1 just after the warm up lap on a chilly morning. Broke misc fingers, ribs, etc but the worst was the scaphoid in my wrist, was stuck in a cast for like 6 months for it. Ended up doing some track days with my left wrist still in a cast. It is damn difficult to brake, blip and clutch to downshift into a corner using one hand.

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Low sided at about 100mph exiting turn 1 just after the warm up lap on a chilly morning. Broke misc fingers, ribs, etc but the worst was the scaphoid in my wrist, was stuck in a cast for like 6 months for it. Ended up doing some track days with my left wrist still in a cast. It is damn difficult to brake, blip and clutch to downshift into a corner using one hand.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7660835/P1060021.JPG
View Quote
Bitching
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Is this an Al Pacino quote from Heat, or is it just me?  

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is this an Al Pacino quote from Heat, or is it just me?  
View Quote
First part is from Heat for sure, I think I heard the second part of the quote in Shawshank Redemption.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7660835/P1060021.JPG
View Quote
Holy shit this is...terrifying. No idea why but I could not imagine both shifting and breaking with one hand.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Tore my ACL, MCL, and one of the meniscuses in my right knee after getting run off the road by a drunk driver in '87, along with a concussion. The impact fracked my helmet along the seam(a Bell open-face), and my knee was partially rotated in the crash. The driver who caused it never stopped and I was left laying in the bushes for an undetermined amount of time before someone found me.

The knee surgery took a year to bounce back from and it's still not the same. I started getting arthritis in the knee at 19, and now at 46 I get injections in it twice a year to keep the pain manageable.

Since the kids are all adults now I've been looking at bikes again, and I really want a late 90s Evo motor Fat Boy, Softail Custom, or a Gen 1 Yamaha VMax. These were my dream bikes when I was a teenager in the late 80s, but the late 90s were the Golden Age of Harley engines, in my opinion. Simple enough for the owner to work on, oil-tight, and enough power to suit me. The VMax? Well, that appeals to the adolescent boy inside me that loves the raw visceral experience of riding one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Holy shit this is...terrifying. No idea why but I could not imagine both shifting and breaking with one hand.
View Quote
I was several seconds off normal pace for sure, but it wasn't that huge of a problem. I started using more of a Keith Code style brake before the turn, instead of trail brake to the apex. Navigating the pits and low speed stuff was more of a problem. Also used the crash to justify brand new custom made leathers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I wish my leathers were still that white!

Looks good
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Nothing as bad as some of the others here, but low-sided and ended up with a hyperextended foot, thumb, scraped knee, and pretty good rash on my the jawline of my full-face helmet.  I couldn't squat for a couple of weeks due to the banged up knee, but it could have been a lot worse without the gear.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Saw a guy dump the bike on I-5 today. In shorts. Genius.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nothing as bad as some of the others here, but low-sided and ended up with a hyperextended foot, thumb, scraped knee, and pretty good rash on my the jawline of my full-face helmet.  I couldn't squat for a couple of weeks due to the banged up knee, but it could have been a lot worse without the gear.
View Quote
Yep, I will NEVER wear anything but a full face helmet, I like having teeth and a lower jaw.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Saw a guy dump the bike on I-5 today. In shorts. Genius.
View Quote
I did wear shorts on a few of my rides, but they were short little trips around my neighborhood and it was almost 102 degrees (at least it felt like it)
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was several seconds off normal pace for sure, but it wasn't that huge of a problem. I started using more of a Keith Code style brake before the turn, instead of trail brake to the apex. Navigating the pits and low speed stuff was more of a problem. Also used the crash to justify brand new custom made leathers.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7660835/dealsgap/Jeremy4.JPG
View Quote
Damn that getup looks sweet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just imagine if you had to shift and brake with one hand...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Great thread. While I haven't even googled it I have been wondering how many MC wrecks have been operator error vs some a-hole smashing into you/pulling out in front of you etc etc. I've been thinking about getting on a bike recently. My last ride was a Honda cb750 cafe racer I sold a dozen years ago. Feeling the itch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Great thread. While I haven't even googled it I have been wondering how many MC wrecks have been operator error vs some a-hole smashing into you/pulling out in front of you etc etc. I've been thinking about getting on a bike recently. My last ride was a Honda cb750 cafe racer I sold a dozen years ago. Feeling the itch.
View Quote
Take the MSF course(s) if you decide to buy again.  In the interim, you could look up the Hurt report.  It's old, but likely not far off the current statistics.  If I remember correctly, 2/3 or 3/4 of accidents are due to other vehicles entering the motocyclists' right of way.  It's why I hate intersections.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Collar bone break.
Its amazing how funny you walk without the ability to swing your arms
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#36]
The worst I've ever gotten was some road rash, shredded jeans and destroyed paint.

I was back on immediately, but it wasn't that bad of an injury.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh man that sucks! Stupid texter. Were you wearing any protective gear?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Crashed on the street doing over 100  mph on my '83 GpZ1100.

Slid across the lane I was in, the gravel shoulder, across a drainage ditch and up an embankment that was covered in iceplant.

I was wearing Levis, high top tennis shoes, a "biker" leather jacket, Arai helmet and Bates roadracing gloves.

I ground a hole in the hightop part of the shoe and into my ankle, my wallet got ground down (it literally saved my ass), my head hit the ground (full faced helmet saved my mellon), the jacket came apart at the seams (but it protected me) and the gloves had a hole worn through on each palm (but they protected my hands).

I got lucky!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#39]
My now twenty five year old son crashed his R1 a few years ago and got very lucky. He lost rear traction in a curve, low-sided off the bike, and then tumbled and slid up a woman's driveway, made it underneath her cattle-fence, before coming to a stop in front of her house. The bike was destroyed but he walked away from the crash with a dislocated thumb and road-rash on the tops of both butt-cheeks.

His girlfriend had just bought him a very expensive leather jacket and gloves, all of which were trashed, as was his custom-painted Shoei helmet. His minor injuries were testament to the wisdom in having good gear, and wearing it whenever the bike is ridden.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow, good thing so many of you guys wear gear.

I need to adjust my shift lever for my riding boots, ATM i can't get my toe far enough under it to feel confident shifting.

Also I am getting some good pants soon, I already have a jacket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top