Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 10:02:27 AM EDT
I need to add a license plate light to a new bumper.  I have the small LED light and I need to tap into the existing power/ground supply from the harness that runs to the OEM license plate lights.  I would like to do this without cutting any OEM wires, peeling back any sheathing, or doing anything else that cant be returned to stock.  I can put square blocks in square holes okay but generally don't know much about wiring and electrical work.

the LED has a power and a ground wire.  What is the easiest, lest invasive, most idiot-proof way to tap the OEM harness.

Here is the light and wires, looks easy enough:

is something like this what I need?

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a tap similar to the blue one that takes the second wire bare instead of the spade connector. The second wire runs parallel instead of perpendicular.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a tap similar to the blue one that takes the second wire bare instead of the spade connector. The second wire runs parallel instead of perpendicular.
View Quote

could you please post a pic so I can go to the hardware store and know what to look for?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think your talking about 3M SCOTCHLOK  or quick splice link the car parts store will have them
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend instead to go to a junkyard and get the ends from a car like yours instead.
you can then take apart the connector on the light side and wire your light in instead.
just unplug the old light and plug in yours. when you go to get rid of the car, there will be no cuts or splices into the wiring.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on how old the car is the least invasive would be to "tap in" a mother wire at a light bulb socket.  Sometimes you can pull this off and never strip a millimeter of factory insulation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
posi tap is what you seek
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

nice I didn't know they made taps but I do like the posi-twist
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depending on how old the car is the least invasive would be to "tap in" a mother wire at a light bulb socket.  Sometimes you can pull this off and never strip a millimeter of factory insulation.
View Quote

That's exactly what I did! Pulled the bulb, Exposed some wire and stuck it in the terminals where the bulb was at and worked great. I'm going to get some male end connectors to crimp on the wire so I can plug them in the bulb socket for a cleaner and more secure connection.

Thanks, I would have never thought of that
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This plus 1. I use posi-taps on my bike for thing that I am going to have to remove on a semi-regular basis, such as my front turn signals so I can get to the fog light bolts, or in places where it would be inconvenient to cut, solder, and heat shrink.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top