Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 1:58:54 PM EDT
My vs700 has been a tank since I got it 4 years ago.  Oil changes and brake pads is all its needed.  Fork seals are starting to go but a great bike!

Ive always used yamalube but compared to the Wal-Mart 5w-30 its pricey.  In a bike this old does it really matter what type/viscosity I use?  Can I use whatever is left of the yamalube and top it off with 5w-30?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine was a 1400 intruder and the wet clutch in it was picky to what oil worked; use the wrong one and it would slip. Rotella 15w-40 (conventional not the synthetic) worked the best for me and is pretty cheap. I wouldnt mix oils but I have no factual basis behind this, just preference.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You cannot run a modern conventional car oil with friction modifiers. It will make the clutch slip.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You cannot run a modern conventional car oil with friction modifiers. It will make the clutch slip.
View Quote

So motorcycle oil only then?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Anyone?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't use oils that have the "energy conserving" SAE label on the back. Those are not good long term for wet motorcycle clutches. Use either motorcycle specific oil, or use heavy duty diesel oil.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't use oils that have the "energy conserving" SAE label on the back. Those are not good long term for wet motorcycle clutches. Use either motorcycle specific oil, or use heavy duty diesel oil.
View Quote

What this guy said. I personally use Rotella 15-40 in my FZ1 with no issues. Motorcycle specific oil is way overpriced. In my area, it goes for between $8-12 per quart, depending on the brand. I get Rotella for around $17 per gallon, and sometimes cheaper when it's on sale. I try to change it every 1500-2000 miles, and I change my oil filter every other change. Been working fine for me so far.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What this guy said. I personally use Rotella 15-40 in my FZ1 with no issues. Motorcycle specific oil is way overpriced. In my area, it goes for between $8-12 per quart, depending on the brand. I get Rotella for around $17 per gallon, and sometimes cheaper when it's on sale. I try to change it every 1500-2000 miles, and I change my oil filter every other change. Been working fine for me so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get gallon jugs of diesel oil at Walmart for pretty cheap and Amazon most likely has your oil filters. Just add one or two to you cart next time you place an order.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Anyone?

Thanks
-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Anyone?

Thanks
-Emt1581

You can run Rotella like these guys said. Walmart $13 gallon last time I was there

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can run Rotella like these guys said. Walmart $13 gallon last time I was there

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Anyone?

Thanks
-Emt1581

Sounds good.   I'll pick up a gallon tomorrow.

Thanks

-Emt1581
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top