Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 12:04:48 AM EDT
Is it possible to simply disconnect it until I can get it fixed? 2000 Mustang for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Should be a plug right at the compressor.

Or just don't turn on your a.c.
If it grinds when clutch is not engaged then unplugging won't help, you need to replace clutch.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's grinding with the AC on, yea pull the plug, NBD

If it's grinding when the AC is off/ unplugged?  You probably are going to have problems.

IIRC since mustangs have stock AC, you might not be able to run a shorter belt like on some vehicles that had AC as an option.

I would pick up a AC eliminator/ delete pulley kit if unplugging it doesn't work.  

I've had two compressors fail from the clutch/ bearing going out.   The explorer was pretty spectacular with sparks shooting out of the wheel well and the AC compressor case glowing red and smoke everywhere.  Even melted the serpentine belt.
People with more experience can probably provide more info.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it's grinding with the AC on, yea pull the plug, NBD
If it's grinding when the AC is off/ unplugged?  You probably are going to have problems.
IIRC since mustangs have stock AC, you might not be able to run a shorter belt like on some vehicles that had AC as an option.
I would pick up a AC eliminator/ delete pulley kit if unplugging it doesn't work.  
I've had two compressors fail from the clutch/ bearing going out.   The explorer was pretty spectacular with sparks shooting out of the wheel well and the AC compressor case glowing red and smoke everywhere.  Even melted the serpentine belt.
People with more experience can probably provide more info.  
View Quote
Thanks, I'll look into the shorter belt. But otherwise, it looks like I'll have to replace the whole compressor seeing as though everybody says it probably isn't far behind.  

Edit: looks like there's a "delete" pully which I can install but I think I'd have to remove the AC to do that and I want to keep the refrigerant inside. Looks like I'll just have to pretty much replace it I guess.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=971229&cc=1354722

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yes.

Should be a plug right at the compressor.

Or just don't turn on your a.c.

If it grinds when clutch is not engaged then unplugging won't help, you need to replace clutch.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll look into the shorter belt.  
View Quote

The problem with trying to run a "short" belt on your vintage is the location/design of the tensioner.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The problem with trying to run a "short" belt on your vintage is the location/design of the tensioner.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll look into the shorter belt.  

Yeah somebody said you had to use the delete kit pulley for that reason on another forum. It looks like that's the only thing I can do short of swapping the entire compressor. Gonna call my mechanic guy and see how much he'll charge to swap out the AC compressor (if he can do it). Worse comes to worse I guess I'll have to drain the refrigerant and remove the AC compressor myself and install the pulley. That shouldn't be too hard I imagine.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#7]
You can put a clutch coil and pulley assembly on that car with the compressor in place and the cooling fan removed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can put a clutch coil and pulley assembly on that car with the compressor in place and the cooling fan removed.
View Quote

That would be the ideal solution (new clutch kit), but I just don't know if there isn't already damage to the compressor (I'm ignorant there may not be but it would not surprise me if there is), and who knows how long the compressor will last anyway. I'm guessing the compressor is messed up to at this point. The grinding is bad and advice on other forums seems to indicate that the compressor most likely won't last much longer anyway so it's just best to swap them both out rather than just the clutch hence me thinking I need to just replace the whole thing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
. Gonna call my mechanic guy and see how much he'll charge to swap out the AC compressor (if he can do it). Worse comes to worse I guess I'll have to drain the refrigerant and remove the AC compressor myself and install the pulley. That shouldn't be too hard I imagine.  
View Quote

You can bring it in, have the system evacuated and then swap out the dryer and Compressor yourself.  Then, you just go back in and have the system evacuated and filled again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You can bring it in, have the system evacuated and then swap out the dryer and Compressor yourself.  Then, you just go back in and have the system evacuated and filled again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

. Gonna call my mechanic guy and see how much he'll charge to swap out the AC compressor (if he can do it). Worse comes to worse I guess I'll have to drain the refrigerant and remove the AC compressor myself and install the pulley. That shouldn't be too hard I imagine.  

Any damaged system that is opened needs to be flushed as well.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top