Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2014 7:31:23 AM EDT
So I'm thinking about trading my Tacoma in on an SUV because we need climate controlled storage as well as a back seat.  I've been pretty set on a 4Runner ever since I test drove one.  But I'm on a road trip right now and I've seen some Wrangler Unlimiteds and they seem like they could fit my criteria.

-Is there enough room for a 60ish pound dog to call the back area home while driving around?

-Why are there so many awesome Jeep colors and 4Runners only come in like 5?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Take one home on a test drive and put you dog in for  a live fitting....

My wife just bought the Rav4  and they would do anything for a sale.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Take one home on a test drive and put you dog in for  a live fitting....

My wife just bought the Rav4  and they would do anything for a sale.
View Quote
I know the 4runner will work for the dog.  I'm always worry about going to a dealer and especially asking to take a jeep home.  I can't stand how they just keep hounding you afterwards and I'd feel bad if I just returned it and said it didn't work after wasting their time.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The wrangler unlimited has plenty of dog room.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#4]
The back seat in my wrangler 1993 vintage is only fit for a dag.  So I took it out.  The unlimited is a 4 door a bit longer than mine.   Prolly go with the toy for your uses.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Have a 185lb mastiff that fits in the back of my 04 4runner with no problems. Not much room for anything else. Love it. Wouldn't buy another SUV.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Are either one better than the other for a daily driver?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the 4runner is a better daily driver.

Wranglers are cool but after driving one for a few weeks... It is more meh'. I guess it looks better though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

4Runner is by far a better daily driver. Wrangler is more capable off road.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I was just smitten with the wrangler temporarily.   I'll stick with the 4Runner.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The Wrangler unlimited are huge.  I parked my 7 passenger landcruiser next to one the other day and it was the same length.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The wrangler unlimited has plenty of dog room.
View Quote

Truth. The current 4-door models are HUGE inside.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally agree, but ironically the MPG's are basically identical now, with a slight edge to the Wrangler. (Toyotas, except for the Prius, get crap for MPG's these days)
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I guess I was just smitten with the wrangler temporarily.   I'll stick with the 4Runner.  Thanks everyone.
View Quote

Go drive each. They're both plenty big.

I -always- urge test drives before dismissing something.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Wrangler unlimited are huge.  I parked my 7 passenger landcruiser next to one the other day and it was the same length.  
View Quote

I'll see your and raise you

I parked my Excusion next to a fully built up Unlimited with big bumpers and a spare tire out back and I was amazed how close in length they were. The specs say they're 14.5' long stock but with the bumpers and tire it had to close to 17' or better.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Guy I work with has a wrangler and I can't stand riding to lunch in that thing. It also has electrical gremlins. 4runner is much more pleasant.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The second part is debatable- entirely dependent on the version and the terrain.  Just as a base model Wrangler isn't as good as a Trail Edition 4Runner, a base model 4Runner isn't going to keep up with a Rubicon.  Also a short wheelbase Jeep will do better in tight woods but a longer wheelbase 4Runner will do better on washboards and a lot of rocky terrain.  The 4Runner will also tow a trailer better.  Both can easily be built into extremely capable machines- decide what you want the vehicle to do then set it up for that.  I'd still give the nod to the 4Runner for overall comfort and certainly for reliability.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The second part is debatable- entirely dependent on the version and the terrain.  Just as a base model Wrangler isn't as good as a Trail Edition 4Runner, a base model 4Runner isn't going to keep up with a Rubicon.  Also a short wheelbase Jeep will do better in tight woods but a longer wheelbase 4Runner will do better on washboards and a lot of rocky terrain.  The 4Runner will also tow a trailer better.  Both can easily be built into extremely capable machines- decide what you want the vehicle to do then set it up for that.  I'd still give the nod to the 4Runner for overall comfort and certainly for reliability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drive a built 5th gen 4runner trail edition.
The solid front axle, short wheelbase, approach and departure angles make the jeep better in rock. As for modifying, the jeep has way more aftermarket support and can be built far larger, cheaper, than the 4runner. That said, 4runner with some 33-34" tires, lift, armor, and a few other mods will go further than most owners are willing to take them, while still being a decent daily driver.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#18]
You can only take the top off of one of these...
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You can only take the top off of one of these...
View Quote

Cheerleaders seem to love that feature, after all they are the target customer.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even close, 4 Runner.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#21]
4Runner FTW!

I had a 2001 and loved it
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had a 2010 Tacoma TRD 4dr, a 2010 Wrangler 2 door, and now have a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited.  I average city/hwy (majority awful city of Atlanta bumper to bumper) mpg of about 16.4mpg.  My Tacoma did almost 1mpg better.  I'd also say there is more usable room in the Wrangler.  I'll say this... at least test drive it.

The newest generation 3.6 Pentastar is much more refined than the pre-2012's.  It's smooth and has plenty of power.  Also, what still impresses me is that both my 2010 and now my 2014 are much more reliable and less problematic than my Tacoma was.  I only kept the Tacoma for a year as I also didn't enjoy driving it, and I absolutely love driving the Jeep.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#23]
The Billings Toyota dealer near me has a 2013 4Runner Trail edition for sale that is a pretty good deal with Off-road package, Toyota's are far better vehicles than jeeps.

http://www.lithiatoyotabillings.com/new/Toyota/2013-Toyota-4Runner-billings-MT-6e7b50a10a0a00640db09614b8dd6649.htm
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Well,The specs say they're 14.5' long stock but with the bumpers and tire it had to close to 17' or better.thank youhttp://goo.gl/Ai0npe
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I am so enamored by my wife's Wrangler Unlimited (Sahara) that I am going to sell my old YJ Wrangler AND my Nissan Titan and buy another for myself!

We've got 3 Boxers (58#, 63# and 86#) and a JRT and there is plenty of room in the back for any two of them with the rear seats up, and all four of them with the rear seats down. It has a lot more room inside than you would guess by looking at it.

...and the top comes off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I love my JKU. Tons of dog room. It is my daily driver and I like it just fine. I get roughly 18 mpg around town with 33" Duratracs and 3.73 gearing. It'll ride a little rougher than the 4runner, but I don't mind at all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#27]
4Runner. Would've bought one, but the DCSB Tacoma was way more useful.

The new Jeeps are nice, but I don't think I could stand to drive one daily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top