Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2013 6:24:27 PM EDT
Probably basic, but I don't know the answer...

I'm installing a hitch on my '99 4Runner that didn't come with one.  Instead of just tapping into the appropriate wires, a 'converter' seems to be necessary.  What is the function of this?  

Example:

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Toyota/4Runner/1999/C55341.html?vehicleid=19991176114
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If you read further down in the description, evidently 4-runner wiring is incompatible with standard 4-wire trailer plugs.  The converter probably has some diodes in it to keep from blowing fuses or having freak lights turn on when you hit the brakes or put your turn signals on.  $38...yeah, I'd buy it rather than chase down wiring problems.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you read further down in the description, evidently 4-runner wiring is incompatible with standard 4-wire trailer plugs. The converter probably has some diodes in it to keep from blowing fuses or having freak lights turn on when you hit the brakes or put your turn signals on. $38...yeah, I'd buy it rather than chase down wiring problems.
View Quote

Ah... Damn this illiteracy!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/55341

Got one of these on my 04 Toyota Matrix.  Litterally plug and play.  I have to toss the plug end out the hatch when I need it, but aside from that it's super easy to install.

<eta> should have clicked the link in the OP

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
If the tow vehicle has a separate brake light and a turn signal light, and the trailer has a combined turn signal and brake light, adaptation is necessary.

Could be for this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
$38...yeah, I'd buy it rather than chase down wiring problems.
View Quote

Ding Ding Ding

QFT

+1

Just Sayin

Oh and I like this idea
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the tow vehicle has a separate brake light and a turn signal light, and the trailer has a combined turn signal and brake light, adaptation is necessary.

Could be for this.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top