Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2013 12:46:03 PM EDT
Well, it does when you pop open an access hole and pull the latch manually, which I saw on a YouTube video.  But when you lock it and unlock it, sometimes it won't open again, sometimes it will.

So according to TrailVoy and some other Googling, and a couple other members said that it could be:

Broken wire
Bad liftgate control module
Short circuit somewhere.

Or it could be just a bad latch somewhere.  The truck does have almost 106K miles on it.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
http://gmtnation.com/forum.php
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I have seen its the rear tailgate latch assembly, usually the lock/unlock solenoid fails and wont unlock the latch and it wont open from the tailgate handle. With the rear tailgate trim panel off you should be able to see/hear the lock solenoid latch and unlatch while pushing the lock or unlock button.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I have seen its the rear tailgate latch assembly, usually the lock/unlock solenoid fails and wont unlock the latch and it wont open from the tailgate handle. With the rear tailgate trim panel off you should be able to see/hear the lock solenoid latch and unlatch while pushing the lock or unlock button.
View Quote

Right, it kind of makies a whiny noise when you lock it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, there's an engagement solenoid that only allows the hatch to be opened when the glass is closed. Pull off the trim panel and you should be able to see exactly what's going on.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, there's an engagement solenoid that only allows the hatch to be opened when the glass is closed. Pull off the trim panel and you should be able to see exactly what's going on.
View Quote

Trouble is, in the condition, the gate and the glass will not open.  The button to pop the glass is spring charged.  It pushes in but won't open the glass.

I'm thinking it's an actuator somewhere that's gone bad.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Right, this is somewhat common.

Open the liftgate by popping the circular trim cover off and then remove the panel by first lowering the panel so you can actuate the glass release. Lower the liftgate gently without latching it, open the glass so you can remove the pushpin for the liftgate trim and you should be good to go.

I'm sure you're aware, but just in case, don't open the glass (more than 1/2 way or so) while the liftgate is open, and vice versa.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I know the only solenoid problem I've had in my 04 is the doors sometimes don't lock. Other than that only other electrical gremlins mine has had is the throttle body servo (twice in 10k miles it had to be replaced). Hate the Trailblazer line to death but when you consider mine has been in the shop 4 times since it was new (166,000 miles) it sure beats the hell out of every Ford pickup I've ever owned (average was I had a Ford in the shop every 10-15k)…which translates to every 4-5 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top