Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2012 2:37:10 PM EDT
MY 98 Nissan Pathfinder was running as smooth and as good as new until today when I had the timing belt changed. (it was well past due for it)

Anyhow, normal? wait and see? Shop screw up?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it might be off by one tooth.   It should definitely not run rough after a belt change if it was running smooth before the change.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It also seems to have less powe, not sure if its related.

If its off by one tooth, will it screw up my engine? I drive alot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The lack of power also suggests a mis-timed belt.

If it was going to damage your engine, you'd already have heard the horrendous clattering that would have occured on start-up.  So no,

damage to the engine isn't likely but your mechanic DOES definitely need to rectify the situation.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it back and have them reset it, it not good to go long on a mistimed engine.  Yes it will directly relate to power because valves aren't opening and closing at the right times.

Quoted:
It also seems to have less powe, not sure if its related.

If its off by one tooth, will it screw up my engine? I drive alot.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I would immediately suspect the engine is out of time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I e-mailed the shop and will call them in the AM. My car ran as good as it did new up until then. Damn thing is the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. I need to keep her alive for 3 more years of child support. After then I am getting something new.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Interference engine, valves may not be hitting the piston but I'd bet they are dang close to it. Shop should have NEVER let it out the door, total negligence on the mechanics part and he KNEW it was off, there is absolutely no way you don't know it's off when it runs like crap afterwards.

Sadly, the same retard will get to dig back into again most likely, and for free, good luck on dorkboy being careful with taking it apart or putting it back together again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Its not a horrible rumble but its definitely there as it ran like butter before. Should I tow it there?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Just drive it.  You already drove it this far.  If nothing bad happened yet, then its probably not going to hurt it to drive it back to the shop.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#10]
A rough/not smooth idle and loss of power (most noticeable at lower rpms) is characteristic of the cam timing being off 1 tooth on one cam. The silver lining in the screw up is that the 3.3L V6 is NOT an interference engine (unlike it's predecessor the 3.0l V6).

They didn't happen to replace the plugs at the same time did they? I've repaired a lot of Pathfinders/Frontiers/Xterras with the V6 where the #6 plug/plug wire was damaged during replacement.

ETA: Check to make sure your AC is working before you take it back in. One of the AC lines runs in front of the timing cover on the Pathfinder. It's not uncommon to find that the tech forgot to recharge the AC when he put it back together (in a hurry to get it done).
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
They just did the belt and water pump. I am doing the pugs myself as I normally do. Ac blowing cold.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried to do the timing belt on my Spectra and got it off by about one tooth, but wasn't sure if it was forward or rear and had already put everything back on. I let a shop re do it. Yeah it cost me the same as if I would have just taken it to them in the first place but I'm a hands on type person but even I have to know my limits. It's a Gates belt so it should be plenty good for a while.

Mine was slightly low on power and my check engine light came on immediately. It's an interference engine so it would have destroyed itself if it was off too much. I did turn it over by hand first before starting it to make sure nothing would hit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#13]
OP,
Likely a tooth off. That being said, before you take it back just take a quick peek and see if a vacuum line was left off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I have redone this engine a few times.  It gets done at another shop and brought to me to fix afterwards.  I have no idea how they get the timing off, it really is simple.  But I would bet money that this is one tooth off on the right side (passenger side) camshaft of the engine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Took it back today and shop owner seemed cool and apologetic. Hopefully they will get it right tomorrow but I am not holding my breath. Many shops and mechanics are thieves and brigands of the highest order around here.

I am kind of  expecting them to create a problem to blame it on that and get me out of there. As I was waiting for my ride I saw the mechanic move my vehicle to the fenced in pen and when he drove it in it seemed he was flooring it almost then brake, floor it  then brake. Maybe its because I said my horsepower was severely lacking and you could tell when he did it.

He backed it up opened the hood looked around (hoses maybe?) closed the hood and did the accelerate forward a few times then did it again in reverse. I don't know what the hell he was doing but my paranoid brain was making up all kinds of scenarios. I was worried he was revving it up in neutral then slamming it into gear to fck up the tranny or something so he can blame it on that later. Didn't look like it but I wouldn't put it past most shops down here.

Still though the tranny is fine, the stumbling/rough idle was happening in neutral as well as in gear.

Who knows, hopefully I end up with a good shop and my car is fine tomorrow. I even told the owner I am ok if they made a mistake as it happens to the best of everyone, as long as they back up the work I wil come back. Just worried the mechanic who did the work will be pissed and do everything BUT look at his own work and try and create a problem.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]
one tooth usually would only affect it by a couple of degrees and should cause rough idle (it would give a little more top end speed if retarded )...but if its a few teeth off...then you will have some issues like you are describing. I'd say the cam and crank were not indexed properly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Got it back today. Shop was apologetic and got it right. They said the belt was of  a bit and apologized again and fixed it up.

I understand even the best mechanic and shop can make a misatke. What sets the good from the bad is how they deal with you once they made a mistake.

This shop is one of the good guys. He made other recomnedations as I know they always try for  sale. I expect that. The radiator definitely needs to be replaced soon and they pointed it out but said if I was fairly handy I could do it myself, or bring it back. I can do a radiator, but they will get my next major repair for sure. (step daughters main seal coming up)
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got it back today. Shop was apologetic and got it right. They said the belt was of  a bit and apologized again and fixed it up.

I understand even the best mechanic and shop can make a misatke. What sets the good from the bad is how they deal with you once they made a mistake.

This shop is one of the good guys. He made other recomnedations as I know they always try for  sale. I expect that. The radiator definitely needs to be replaced soon and they pointed it out but said if I was fairly handy I could do it myself, or bring it back. I can do a radiator, but they will get my next major repair for sure. (step daughters main seal coming up)

That's how they sucker you in.  If they DON'T screw you the first time, and you'll line up for the screwing every time after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top