Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2010 1:07:04 AM EDT
I lost one of the two RFID keys to my Ford Escape. It has the PATS II system*; this means II need TWO working keys in order to program a third key!

The keys cost from $20 or so up to $60 at the dealership, and the programming will cost upwards of $40-50!

Is there a cheaper way to get this done?

*The PATS I system let you program the new key with only one original key.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully someone in the audio/car industry can chime in but I dont think you have any options. These new vehicles have built in security features that require that key to be in the ignition or in proximity of the ignition to start.

The only thing I can think of is a method we used when installing remote starts in vehicles that had these systems. We would take a working spare key and install it in a special box that was hidden on the vehicle. Then depending on the vehicle and where the signal was looked for (mainly at the ignition cylinder) we would remove the plastic trim and wrap wires around the ignition cylinder.

So basically when the remote start was activated the key in the box would send a signal via wires to the ignition cylinder tricking the vehicle to think there was a key present.

This might work for you but I am not sure..
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Heck, that seems cheap.

My sister owns a 2000 VW Beetle and she lost one of her key fobs.  The dealer wants $180 for a new one.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#4]
We have a local Auto Locksmith that will cut and program new keys, and honestly his prices are the pretty close to what you dealer is quoting... but I am in CT. Some independent shops, and mobile guys will also program them.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I had this done (bought a new to me used F150, only had one key, who knew?)

Was like $100 for 3 keys total.  (the guy said do an extra so you always have 2 keys)

I didn't think that was unreasonable.
the blank alone is like $20

$60 to program

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Update:

I put signs out with my phone number on it. "Lost Keys, call xxx-xxxx." Left them on the mailbox and on the bulletin board.

Lo and behold, someone called me tonight. His wife found my keys! So I picked them up and most is well now.

I'm still going to change my PO box key (have a cluster box) and my house key. And I'll keep my car under video surveillance for a few weeks while parked at my house.

So now I have 2 keys and entry fobs. I'm going to get an additional key & fob & get them programmed.

"Trust, but verify."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top