Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2010 5:48:18 PM EDT
Sorry if the above phrase is worded odd...

Anyways, he drives a 1997 Nissan 200 SX-SER.

They said the diagnostic tool said that the following things were bad:

o2 Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

Knock Sensor 1 Circuit (Bank 1)

Could someone fill me in as to what those sensors do and how vital they are?

And could you estimate the repair fees?

Much, much appreciated to those of whom can help.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it, the computer gives you a general system/area to look and that proper diagnostics require troubleshooting to find the defective component(s). Sounds like someone just read the codes on the machine and didn't determine what is actually causing the problems.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I will see if I can get a halfway decent picture of the printout and post it up.

May not get to it tonight, but I will have it up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
o2 needs to be replaced. Could cause running issues, fuel mileage going to crap, possible damage to catalytic converter. Sensor 1 is located before the catalytic converter.
Knock sensor...did they say how many hits it had? Its not too uncommon for a knock sensor to get a hiccup. Actually happened to me 20k miles ago, I reset it and still no issues with it.

ETA- o2 sensor could be $50-$120 aftermarket. It should be easy, you could do it with a wrench in your driveway. DONT BUY A UNIVERSAL SENSOR

I dont remember the exact layout of the exhaust on those.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife has a 97 200-SX and we long ago gave up on new sensors (after half a dozen under warranty), they just continue to go bad.  We just ignore the light anymore.  I know there's oil in it and it keeps running and I can read the other gauges so FIDO. The light will go out when it's cold and comes back on when it's warm (weather that is).  You can reset it by disconnecting the battery, but when the weather warms up it'll just come back on.

YMMV and good luck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, lots of helpful information, thanks a ton guys.

I will have to show the old man this thread later on today.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#6]
If the engine uses two O2 sensors (most do) then I would advise getting them both replaced.

It's possible that the knock sensor fault is related to the bad O2 sensor.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Before replacing anything, specifically what codes were present?  The specific code number?

Don't remember.

I'll look at the sheet again and get back to you on that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top