Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2009 5:42:40 PM EDT
Man this is not a good week for me as far as computer go......

So basically I bought the 32 bit student copy of windows 7 today, and downloaded the Digital River download manager.  

When I run it, it says "To download this file, you need to be connected
to the Internet. Please connect and click here to continue and download
your file."  When I click the "click here to continue" link, a pop-up
comes up which says "connection refused".  

I am at a loss at
what to do.  I am obviously connected to the internet...and have never
had this problem with a download manager before.  The only reason I
could think of is because I am behind my colleges internet
connection...but that has never stopped me from using download managers
before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Kind of a tricky problem so I don't know if anyone will be able to help, but I thought I'd give it a shot.  I really have no idea how I am going to get it if I can't get this to work....Microsoft help and support was NO help at all.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Is you clock set correctly?
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Try again latter. Too many people might be downloading it and exceeding the bandwidth.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Is you clock set correctly?

yes it is

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Try again latter. Too many people might be downloading it and exceeding the bandwidth.

I thought that might be it, but I booted into Linux and tried it, and the file seemed to be downloading fine.  Unfortunately do to the linux windows emulation program (wine) being finicky, I could not finish the download.  

It's a very weird problem....I would say that my school is blocking it but that doesn't seem right, seeing as they advertise the student version.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Go under profile in the microsoft store and change it from download manager to browser download.  Thats what I am doing down.  The MS guys said it was the best way to do it.

Workin for me

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Go under profile in the microsoft store and change it from download manager to browser download.  Thats what I am doing down.  The MS guys said it was the best way to do it.

Workin for me

Unfortunately the student version is downloaded from digitalriver.com.  As far as I can tell, they don't have a browser download option.....got my hopes up there for a second though, only for them to come crashing down

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]
you didnt have to order it from digital river. i called microsoft and got it from them. 7 Pro, full retail, for 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

you didnt have to order it from digital river. i called microsoft and got it from them. 7 Pro, full retail, for 30 bucks.

Damn, well it's to late now.  That's stupid though, everywhere I looked pointed me to digital river...even on the Microsoft website, the student like brought me straight to digital river.

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe try a different browser?
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Maybe try a different browser?

It actually isn't an in-browser downloader.  However just for kicks, I tried downloading the download manager through Internet Explorer....but it didn't work.

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Workin for me  

Unfortunately the student version is downloaded from digitalriver.com.  As far as I can tell, they don't have a browser download option.....got my hopes up there for a second though, only for them to come crashing down

I got my student version from MS.  Its W7 Pro Full for $29.99.  I downloaded it from store.microsoft.com
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Workin for me

I got my student version from MS.  Its W7 Pro Full for $29.99.  I downloaded it from store.microsoft.com
Welll that kind of pisses me off that digital driver does not offer the professional edition, AND that they don't offer the in browser download.  

So, now I'm on hold with Microsoft store.  The girl told me that she could cancel my digital river purchase, and then I could buy it directly from them....we'll see how this works out.

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Workin for me  

Welll that kind of pisses me off that digital driver does not offer the professional edition, AND that they don't offer the in browser download.  

So, now I'm on hold with Microsoft store.  The girl told me that she could cancel my digital river purchase, and then I could buy it directly from them....we'll see how this works out.

Ya man that does suck.  I hope MS will take care of it for you.  It look me about an hour or so to dl from the MS store browser.  Thats kinda messed up how you got directed to digital river and they dont offer pro.

Anyways, good luck and enjoy :)
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Well here's what happened:

I called MS store and talked to a nice American girl.  She told me that we could cancel my order from Digital River, and then i could buy the student Pro version from her right there and then.  To be sure, she called over to Digital River to make sure they could cancel and refund my order.  It turns out they can't do that (for no good reason), and that there's not much more that she can do from her end, so she would transfer me to Digital River tech support to help figure out my downloading problem.

Sooooo I then got transferred to India.  I questioned the guy as to why they do not have the professional edition on their website, because if I would have known that it was offered I would just have bought it from MS store.  After some convincing, he agreed to upgrade my edition to professional, which is good.  However, he didn't know why my download manager wasn't working, and told me just to wait a couple days just to see if it clears up.  

I'll probably wait until tomorrow, and then if it doesn't get fixed I'll take my computer to my schools network help desk (I emailed them and they offered to do it for me).  The problems not fixed, but at least I got to change to professional, which is good.  

One off topic thing that I noticed is that these off-shore tech help people DO NOT pause for one second to let you speak.  This guy was talking and talking and I tried to interrupt him a few times but he just talked over me...didn't even pause.  Same thing happened the other day when I called MS tech support....absolutely ridiculous.  The difference between the MS girl and the DR tech support was like night and day.

Anyways, thanks for the help.  I'm sure I'll get this figured out eventually.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:20:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I bet many students will graduate before this download is fixed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Turns out it was my computer, I have NO idea how that is possible...but it is working fine on my roommates laptop.  It has been about 2 hours though, and it's only 30% done with the first package.....so this could take a a while.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm hoping you still have both the DR key and the MS key.  Keep them.  Then read the SlickDeals Wiki http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1562761

Look for the ISO download links towards the bottom of the Wiki.  If the Wiki is missing for some reason, IM me and I will get you the backup copy I made(Open Office format).

You CAN do fresh installs from upgrade media.

I need to get off my ass and install Win7 myself.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Turns out it was my computer, I have NO idea how that is possible...but it is working fine on my roommates laptop.  It has been about 2 hours though, and it's only 30% done with the first package.....so this could take a a while.

did you try clear cache, cookies, temp files? if you did, try delete the browser and reinstall it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top