Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 9:21:51 AM EDT
I've Googled these questions before with limited success.  Maybe you guys and point me in the right direction.
My abilities running the terminal are extremely limited.  If I have to use the terminal, I copy other people's code.  I don't make it up on my own.
Please keep that in mind when answering.

I need some help running down some answers to some specific things I'd like to do with PCLinuxOS 09.

I have it in two places.  I'm tri-booting my main laptop computer.  I have Vista, Windows 7 and PCLinuxOS on a 320gb HD.  I use all three for different reasons.

I have another 120gb HD in a drive enclosure.  It has Vista, PC Linux and the rest of the drive has a copy of my music and other important files.  This is to be used in an emergency if the main HD fails.  I can install this drive and get going again.  I sometimes plug the drive in and boot PCLinux just for kicks.  I like the idea of booting from a USB port.  PCLinux runs pretty good on USB.  

I've been running PCLinux for four months as a sometimes alternative to Windoze.  I hope to be able to use it as my main OS.  However there are a couple questions/problems that have come up that I've been unable to find answers for.

I'm currently running a Verizon/Sierra 595 Aircard in the PCMCIA slot.  I'm going to a USB Verizon Broadband card so I can transfer the card and use it in another computer if needed.
Will a Verizon USB Broadband card work under PCLinuxOS?  Is there one USB Broadband card that is better than another?

I have my backup HD configured to run Vista, PCLinux and the rest is data.
Can I delete Vista and install another Windoze OS, like XP or the new Windows 7 RC?
If I delete the Windoze OS will PCLinux still boot up and run?

When I plug in my big monitor, I can get a duplicate display on both the laptop and the monitor or run the monitor by itself.  I've been unable to get the extended desktop on PCLinux
Is there a way to get an extended desktop similar to what I can do with Windows?

Thanks

ZM
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My first stop would be to register on the PCLinuxOS Forums

Quite a knowledgeable community there and they should be able to answer your questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top