Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2008 6:33:57 PM EDT
I'm looking for something that is simple and clean. My favorite was XMMS until I got a new system, and apparently Audacious had replaced XMMS. Audacious is good, but buggy to the point I'm now looking for something else. I'm trying to find XMMS again, but the website is down.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually Amarock, but I broke it and it messes up streaming internet radio now.

ETA:  I also use Rhythmbox for listening to mp3s and synching to my ipod and sansa.  Since I broke Amarock and don't want to learn to use RB for shoutcast, I just open those with the plain-jane "movie player" now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I second xmms. When I was using Linux as my main desktop it always 'Just Worked(TM)'

What distribution are you using? I've got Fedora9 running in Parallels here and XMMS is still available.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Kaffiene
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
splay

Command line fo life!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been pretty happy with XMMS. Once I installed the xf86-hotkeys plugin, so my keyboard multimedia keys work with it, it quickly became my favorite.

I believe Gentoo and Slackware have removed the XMMS packages, but the other major distros should still have it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I second xmms. When I was using Linux as my main desktop it always 'Just Worked(TM)'

What distribution are you using? I've got Fedora9 running in Parallels here and XMMS is still available.

Ubuntu here. I should be more clear - I'm looking for a simple, clean music player with basic playlist capabilities. The major issue I have with music players like Rhythmbox is they're too much. Full screen, library, etc. etc. I don't want a media manager, just a player.

I'm still a Linux novice so bear with me here. Can I just download the XMMS file and install it windows-esque? If so, where can I find it? Or do I have to add a repository that still has it and install it from there?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
XMMS should be in the repositories.
If typing sudo apt-get install xmms doesn't work, then you might need to enable extra repositories.
See here (first step) ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

You could try downloading the package here: packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/sound/xmms
Scroll to the bottom and click the i386 link.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
XMMS should be in the repositories.
If typing sudo apt-get install xmms doesn't work, then you might need to enable extra repositories.
See here (first step) ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

You could try downloading the package here: packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/sound/xmms
Scroll to the bottom and click the i386 link.

Its now xmms2 but it seems like its a totally different beast. Its more like a streaming music server/client program. xmms is now some sort of server program and has a host of various clients. Its a far cry from its former self and more of a PITA for someone looking for a simple mp3 player.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The XMMS that's in the Fedora repositories is still the good old XMMS.

I believe XMMS2 is a different program, written separately from XMMS.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#10]
vlc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top