Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 4:58:06 PM EDT
[Update: fixed...see posts #4-5.]

On one of our lab computers, a Dell Optiplex GX280, we had a bluescreen yesteday and after recovery and cleanup (including checkdisk, CCleaner, and the standard host of anti-adware/malware software like adaware and spybot S&D) we have an unusual problem.

The fonts are all screwed up.

For instance, right now, everything I type is in some wierd italic font. It appears the same in Mozilla, Firefox, IE and Opera, so it must be an underlying problem with the Windows fonts settings.  On some webpages, the webpage font is screwed too; on Arfcom, the tabs and buttons and post views are fine, but my own typing is in the wierd italics.

I tried to restore to a previous restore point, but someone turned off automatic restore point settings on this computer, and the only restore point I have now is the one from /after/ we recovered from the bluescreen.

The normal fonts still appear to be in the Windows font folder--including Times New Roman, which I have thought was the default font for the web and other applications.

Of course, the university couldn't bring itself to provide us with the system disk, so I have no way to use Windows setup to look for problems or to repair the installation.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Jim
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Download Tweakui:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

and run the "Repair Fonts" option.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Download Tweakui:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

and run the "Repair Fonts" option.

I saw a "repair font folder" option, but no "repair fonts".

I did run the "repair font folder" command, but I didn't expect it to do anything since the font folder seems to work fine.  It had no effect.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]

I noticed a couple of fonts were missing...I'm reinstalling the MS web pack of fonts.

I'll restart and see what happens...

Jim
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That fixed it.  I downloaded all of the MS web fonts from this site:
www.zeuscat.com/andrew/software/corefonts/

On reboot, all is now well.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top