Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 2:44:25 PM EDT
I am really interested in playing Battlefield 2, but my computer isn't up to snuff (at least my vid card isn't). I was hoping someone could give me some advice on some things I could get to upgrade it. I am not looking for top-of-the-line upgrades, but stuff that should let me play most of the generation of games that are out now. I am not compter savy at all, so I would really appreciate the help.

Here are my specs:
Windows XP
2.80 ghz
Pentium 4 Processor
512MB  RAM
160GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
Nivida GeForce 4 MX 440 (I know this I'll definately need to replace)
AGP 8x Graphics Card with 64 MB DDR Memory

Here are BF2's specs:
System Requirements
CPU: 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater
RAM: 512 MB or more
Disc Drive: 8x or faster CD/DVD drive
Hard Drive: 1.1 GB (plus 3 GB or more free space on Windows partition)
Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible; Video card must be AGP or PCI express, have 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater; ATI Radeon 8500; ATI Radeon 9500 or greater
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible (Sound Blaster X-Fi series recommended )
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
minimum requirements means it will run the game at the lowest quality. absolutley nothing above that

you need to upgrade to atleaset 1gb of ram.  and you need to upgrade your video card.   the better video card the better the performance.  

my system  64bit 3k+
1.5gb pc3200
160 SATA drive
x850 pro agp video card.   i can run bf2 with all detail on high.  no problems.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
AGP is going to limit you somewhat. i think the fastest you can go  is a GeForce 6800. if it was my money i'ld go with this. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121216 . mmk

AGP is fine.. I run a 6600 GT 128 MB card and I can have everything on high with 2x AA and it works fine. The only slow down I get is on SF maps, and I think that is common for everyone.

-d
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AGP is going to limit you somewhat. i think the fastest you can go  is a GeForce 6800. if it was my money i'ld go with this. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121216 . mmk

AGP is fine.. I run a 6600 GT 128 MB card and I can have everything on high with 2x AA and it works fine. The only slow down I get is on SF maps, and I think that is common for everyone.

-d

Sorry for the Hijack.

D - I have a GeForce 6600 w/256mb and I for the most part have to keep my settings on medium or low.  What am I doing wrong?

G
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

Sorry for the Hijack.

D - I have a GeForce 6600 w/256mb and I for the most part have to keep my settings on medium or low.  What am I doing wrong?

G

I turned down Dynamic Shadows to low and effects to low. I have to turn everything down though to play SF. I usually keep my settings at medium  though to ensure just FPS... I don't need everything to look pretty, just play fast.

-d
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

Sorry for the Hijack.

G

I turned down Dynamic Shadows to low and effects to low. I have to turn everything down though to play SF. I usually keep my settings at medium  though to ensure just FPS... I don't need everything to look pretty, just play fast.

-d

Ok now here is another question.  Last night while playing BF2 my computer simply turned off.  Twice.  Could this mean it's time for a new power supply?  My guess is yes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]
you motherboard has a setting in the bios to turn the board off if the cpu gets to a certain temperature.   check that.

if its a AMD chip make sure the fan is spinning at the proper speed.  most AMD chips run at 5k rpm.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
you motherboard has a setting in the bios to turn the board off if the cpu gets to a certain temperature.   check that.

if its a AMD chip make sure the fan is spinning at the proper speed.  most AMD chips run at 5k rpm.

4500 rpm

161F

Should I be worried?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4500 rpm

161F

Should I be worried?

DUDE my bench 2600+ runs at 37C= 100degress.    you got something wrong

the max a AMD chip can handle is 90C  at thats to the fryed point.    the cooler the chips runs the longer it will live

Get that looked at ASAP
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably want to see if you can upgrade your system board to something with a faster bus, faster RAM and PCIe.   Just throwing another video card in there will help, but likely won't allow you to crank everything up.  It'll just move your bottleneck somewhere else.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
* The 2.8 P4 should be more than enough steam through BF2
* Videocard-wise - I'd recommend an AGP version of the X800/X850 or 6800 series.  The X800/X850 have been seen these past couple of weeks under $200 w/rebate (Like this one that sold out...X850 for $179).  The 6600GT is a nice card...fast too, but the X800/X850 or 6800 chip will plant you in a different grade.
* More RAM....for BF2, there's definitely a difference in performance by going up to 1GB (you could go to 2GB and still get some gains...but not quite as much as you will from getting out of that 512MB range)
* Power Supply - kind of like the Spiderman slogan..."With great power comes great...power usage"  You're probably already at 350-450watts on your power supply...but pay attention as you upgrade, if the system acts up, look to replace the power supply to a higher end unit.

Motherboard/AGP - yes, the PCI-E's will outstrip the AGP-based video cards.  And they're already starting with the X1900's and the 7800 GTX's...The AGP-based 7800GS may be the final hurrah for AGP.  If you go with just upgrading the video card to some high-end AGP card, I think you'll be happy for a couple of years until it's time to replace the entire system anyway...and go with that's new at that time, such as the new PCI-Marpat or whatever they'll call it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#13]
The next step will be PCIe x32 slots.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top