Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:12:10 AM EDT
I' ve been looking all over for the range of these things. ANyone know? A friend need to use it in the city, his application is his Home office (in high-rise) to diagnoally across & down 150ft.

What else do I need to know to see if this will work for him?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I install these routers on a daily basis.  The most you can hope for is about 50 yards or so, if there is walls in the way and stuff.  You can increase the range by buying the bigger antennas for it, but if you are going to spend that much money, you might as well get the big linksys SRX router.  Its range is very nice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
im in an appartment myself and it all depends on what it has to go through, through the wall in my bedroom and downstairs in another apt. only 15 ft. or so, had maybe 50% signal. now it is in the next building 30 yds or so, and i get maybe 80% consistantly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That model router is great.  The firmware in it is basically Linux.  There are tons of custom firmwares out there that let you boost the output and add addition features. HERE is a great resource for that router.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That model router is great.  The firmware in it is basically Linux.  There are tons of custom firmwares out there that let you boost the output and add addition features. HERE is a great resource for that router.

Thanks - I tried to make out the site's offerings, but it comes across as basic Macedonian to me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks - I tried to make out the site's offerings, but it comes across as basic Macedonian to me.

Here is a LINK to a firmware upgrade for your router.  This is the firmware that I use.  It adds a few key features and is totally stable.  Best feature is the ability to adjust the power output.  So you can increase or decrease your wireless range.  Read through the site and it's pretty straight foward.  Any questions email or IM me.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks SIR... Let you klnow how I do.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you want the linux version make sure to get the WRT54GL. The current production version 5 of the G model can't run third-party firmware.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want the linux version make sure to get the WRT54GL. The current production version 5 of the G model can run third-party firmware.

See??? Macedonian -

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, I'm assuming you have this unit in your possession?

If so, there should be a model number on the thing somewhere, i.e.
"Model No. WRT54G ver4.0"

If it's version 4 or lower, good to go.

If it's WRT54G ver5 or higher, no good.

150 is probably stretching it, the upgraded power may do it. No easy way to tell other than to try it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

150 is probably stretching it, the upgraded power may do it. No easy way to tell other than to try it.

can you explain why version 5 is no good.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

can you explain why version 5 is no good.  

If you add firmware you can significantly boost the signal. It can be done prior to version 5. Version 5, they switched to hardware that couldn't be upgraded, to huge uproar. So they re-released version 4 as the GL.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]
didn't know that thanks for the info
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Yup, just checked...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top