Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 12:13:20 PM EDT
Wwooooo hoooooo.   Just got the ok from work to attend a CCNA bootcamp in minneapolis.
Finally starting to break into the cisco field.

how many of you have attended a bootcamp before, what were your experiences?

I'm thinking its going to be hell, but i'll choke it down because it will be my exodus out of the helpdesk.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck with them.  I went to 2 bootcamps and while neither of them prepared me to pass the CCNA exam, they were a wealth of information.

After an additional year of self absorption and building my own router lab, I passed the cert in '04.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
most of the cisco stuff i've gone to was garbage.

The material was ok. THe instructor was a stiff.

Here's the book, read the material, figure it out on your own.

When i pay money for a class, it's for the teacher to teach. not stand there and look stupid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
In a somewhat related issue, I attended a Project Management Professional (PMP) Cert boot camp.  To get in the class, and to even sit for the exam, 4000 hours of project management experience must be documented.  With that completed, I spent about 14 hours a day Monday through Thursday in the boot camp.  I sat for the test on Friday and passed.  

My advice is schedule your test the day after your class.  "giving yourself time to study" is really just giving your self time to forget.  Second, tell your family and friends you are out of town for the week.  You need to completely isolate yourself during the class.  after class each day eat dinner and re-read all the days material.  If the program gives you practice tests, take them, and retake them until you get 90% or better.  

Anyone going after the PMP should take a good hard look at the Cheetah exam prep.  They really have it down to a science.  I wish Cheetah did MCSE.  

-markl32, PMP, currently self study for MCSE, CCNA on deck.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have gone to 4 boot camps and was able to get certified all 4 times.

MCSE NT 4.0
CCNA
MCSE Windows 2000
CCNP

Some schools are better than others, I put in at least 18 hours a day.

I paid for the first and the last bootcamps, I would go again but not if I had to pay out of pocket.

Make sure you have no distractions.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#5]

The CCNA couldn't hurt, but without experience in the field, don't expect it to get you a better job.

I've had people with CCNA/CCNP apply, and when I put some simple questions to them, they've fumbled completely.  Paper Tigers.

I suggest you grab an old 2500 series off ebay.  Connect it up to a bunch of things, throw a dozen different kinds of configuration on it, upgrade the code, downgrade it, swap ram and flash.  Get comfortable with the innards of IOS.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The CCNA couldn't hurt, but without experience in the field, don't expect it to get you a better job.

I've had people with CCNA/CCNP apply, and when I put some simple questions to them, they've fumbled completely.  Paper Tigers.

I suggest you grab an old 2500 series off ebay.  Connect it up to a bunch of things, throw a dozen different kinds of configuration on it, upgrade the code, downgrade it, swap ram and flash.  Get comfortable with the innards of IOS.

+1

for the CCNA exam, you are going to need to know your IOS commands.  Sometimes shortcuts work, sometimes they don't.  It would be very hard to know all the proper commands by then end of a bootcamp, and be able to pass the test without further study.  If you are already comfortable with the IOS before the bootcamp, you should be far ahead of the curve.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#7]
i've got 2 1500 series routers and an old catalyst 2926 24 port switch that i have setup in my lab.  i have been working with the lab on and off for a year but nothing in a corporate environment.  
I"m pumped for the class, been reading a ccna exam prep book a friend of mine gave me.

work is paying for the course and there is a telcom position opening up there that they plan on putting me into after they train me a little more.  lets see if they hold to their word, wouldn't be the first time i have been screwed over.  either way i'll at least have this class under my belt.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I am going to go back to college and get my degree in the Cisco field through Strayer since my company is paying for it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know.  I think they toughened up the CCNA quite a bit since I took it in 98.

If you go to boot camp, take advantage of the opportunity and stay late to do extra work if the instructor doesn't mind.

If you have a couple routers to play with, you have a fair chance of passing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:03:12 AM EDT
[#10]
wish me luck, hell week starts today.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I took the first 2 classes of the CCNA at a local community college. The classes were easy, but i wasn't able to take the last two because there was not enough people who could pass the first 2.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#12]
There's not a single thing a boot camp can teach you that a month of self study couldn't.

Put it another way... Buy a book. Build a lab. Learn something.

A good CCNA lab is a couple of 2900 series switches, two 2501s, a 4700M+ with a serial NM and an ISDN NM, a 2509 and another 2500 with an ISDN s/t port.

Figure $350 + shipping and you will have a lab that will see you through CCNP/DP.

A weekend looking a some schmuck pointing at a blackboard and droning is a waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#13]
what does it matter if the company pays for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
what does it matter if the company pays for it.

Don't blame you for that, I always took advantage of any free training I could get.  Just don't set your expectations to be able to pass the test after the class.

Good luck anyway!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A good CCNA lab is a couple of 2900 series switches, two 2501s, a 4700M+ with a serial NM and an ISDN NM, a 2509 and another 2500 with an ISDN s/t port.

Figure $350 + shipping and you will have a lab that will see you through CCNP/DP.

Care to point me in the direction of where I can get this setup for $350 plus shipping?  Or a 3550 with EMI for cheap?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#16]
just finished the boot camp today.  i'm a weeee bit burnt out and don't care to think much so i'm gonna go find some grub, a beer and veg out while cleaning some guns.

class was good, learned lots.  would i do a boot camp again..... probably not.  to much info to quick, not enough hands on and in depth understanding.  but i guess the understanding comes with experience.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You couldn't have said it better than that!  Bah with damned Cert Junkies!!!  No offense intended to anyone in here.  I have my MCDST and stopped working towards my MCSE cuz I saw no freaking use for it.  Seriously, it wouldn't even have gotten me more pay than I have now.  Just add 4-more letters to end of my business card and look pretty on my wall by my desk.  Whatever.

Show me what you can, treat employees out of the MIS Department as normal human beings and don't be condescending to them, and pull your weight.  That's what I look for.    We'll hire someone who knows how to talk to ppl really well over some kid who has his MCSE, MCP, MCSA, ACDC, DUMB, and whatever else he/she wants to throw in there.

Either way, good luck at your CCNA Camp.   Hope you exceed!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Care to point me in the direction of where I can get this setup for $350 plus shipping?  

Ebay sells 2501s in the $20 range 4700M+ are about the same (get it with the NMs above) 2509s go for around $100 and 2912s are around $50...

Quoted:
Or a 3550 with EMI for cheap?

Dream on, I paid $2200 for a pair of 24 port 3550 SMI switches (and I got a REALLY good deal)
EMI... Well, I talk to TAC about three times a week so....

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
just finished the boot camp today.  i'm a weeee bit burnt out and don't care to think much so i'm gonna go find some grub, a beer and veg out while cleaning some guns.

class was good, learned lots.  would i do a boot camp again..... probably not.  to much info to quick, not enough hands on and in depth understanding.  but i guess the understanding comes with experience.

Now spend about an hour a day for the next month on this site... and read Lammle's CCNA book cover to cover.... then got take the exam.

Make your employer give you a voucher.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now spend about an hour a day for the next month on this site... and read Lammle's CCNA book cover to cover.... then got take the exam.

wow, thanks for the link to that site!  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow, thanks for the link to that site!  

NP man. When you pass, remember to throw some dough his way. The guy has been running that site for ages and it has always been one of the best on the net.

Better than a $1000 bootcamp or a $300 trancender by far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top