Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 7:10:01 AM EDT
My firewall keeps giving me a warning message about a file called backweb728897.exe and that it is trying to monitor my mouse movement and key strokes.  I have tried deleting it and I get another warning message saying that deleting it will result in a loss of system stability.  What the hell is it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like a keystroke logger.  I'm thinking the warning is either to scare people from removing it, or it's using a shared file.  I'd risk it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Here goes nothing............
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Holy Shit!  That must have been what was causing my computer to crap all the time.  It just sped up 100%.  I wonder why none of my virus/anti-spyware programs didn't catch it?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Holy Shit!  That must have been what was causing my computer to crap all the time.  It just sped up 100%.  I wonder why none of my virus/anti-spyware programs didn't catch it?

Same probelm I had and Norton just found a batch of Trojan Horses that are downloaded from popups, I have 2 Norton is working on to remove.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 I wonder why none of my virus/anti-spyware programs didn't catch it?

And here I would be wondering who put a keylogger on my computer.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very limited experience on this but it does not have to be loaded on your computer by standard means, you can pick them up from the internet.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Very limited experience on this but it does not have to be loaded on your computer by standard means, you can pick them up from the internet.

So now we know at least one of the people involved in this conspiracy.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I don't think I have anyting on my computer that would cause someone to go after my computer.  It probably just snuck through when I downloaded something off the net.

It looks like it will be near impossible to delete the file all I can do is stop the process.  It is imbedded in my regestry.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So now we know at least one of the people involved in this conspiracy.

Recieved my edjumication buy the school of hard knocks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I don't think I have anyting on my computer that would cause someone to go after my computer.  It probably just snuck through when I downloaded something off the net.

It looks like it will be near impossible to delete the file all I can do is stop the process.  It is imbedded in my regestry.

Norton internet security Link here

Not fool proof but has cleaned up so much on my computer and have one more to go, they are working on a solution for me. I cannot use my email until it is resolved since I deleted email from my computer to stop it spaming anyone on my email adress list.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
google is your friend...."backWeb.exe is a process associated with an application from Backweb Technologies. It comes bundled together with a large number of desktops and is used to detect and download available updates."... www.cexx.org/dlgli.htm
try the free scan here to see if it helps.  www.adwarealert.com/index.php?hop=rapidads&gid=1068316306&oid=&gclid=CNyF2PX1moICFRUtSgodyD1xDQ

Ahhh now I know the source.  It is kodak.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not fool proof but has cleaned up so much on my computer and have one more to go, they are working on a solution for me. I cannot use my email until it is resolved since I deleted email from my computer to stop it spaming anyone on my email adress list.

That sucks....Internet hackers/adware developers should be shot.....or at least punished severly.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sucks....Internet hackers/adware developers should be shot.....or at least punished severly.

Sure does suck, penalty for programing this shiite up should be full chisel saw chains and 50 lashes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]
i don't recomend buying norton antivirus.  Its beyond problematic.  and doesn't catch half the virus's.  Do no tell me I don't know what im talking about i work on computers EVERY day that have norton antivirus installed.  and are brought to me full of trojan virus.    

not only that the internet security part on a default install blocks half the programs on your pc that need  to access the web.   because the end user doesn't read the setup.   they never run the program scan, so those programs can be given internet acess

a couple that i use are nod32    and panda    

I stopped using NAV products several years ago.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i don't recomend buying norton antivirus.  Its beyond problematic.  and doesn't catch half the virus's.  Do no tell me I don't know what im talking about i work on computers EVERY day that have norton antivirus installed.  and are brought to me full of trojan virus.    

not only that the internet security part on a default install blocks half the programs on your pc that need  to access the web.   because the end user doesn't read the setup.   they never run the program scan, so those programs can be given internet acess

+1
Norton USED to be good.
It sucks horribly now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Ive had the best results from the full version of ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How can I tell anyone that they do not know what they are talking about.

I fully admit that I am computer stupid and I will check the posted links out, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I use the ZoneAlarm firewall/antivirus/antispyware program along with spybot, ad-aware and panda and things still sneak through.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#20]
VTHOKIESHOOTER

have you switched to an alternate browser.  firefox or opera are excellent alternatives.  the only thing i use ie for is windoz  updates.  With Xp the updates are for the most part automatic................. finally
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
VTHOKIESHOOTER

have you switched to an alternate browser.  firefox or opera are excellent alternatives.  the only thing i use ie for is windoz  updates.  With Xp the updates are for the most part automatic................. finally

I use firefox as well.  Seems like I get a something nasty off the net about once every 3 months.  Probably from downloading music.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I really hope you guys that had the key loggers hadn't done any online banking or other types of transactions while you had the software installed.  At least that is if it did indeed turn out to be key stroke logging programs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#23]
My old computer crashed and burned, Norton could not remove the virus and she locked down and burned.

Just a good reason to buy another and get some serious AV software and firewall.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can I tell anyone that they do not know what they are talking about.

I fully admit that I am computer stupid and I will check the posted links out, thanks!

Simple make believe you are a Democrap -  comes natural right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top