Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 2:07:09 AM EDT
I have a Sony Vaio model VGC-RA820G with Intel P4 3.20 GH. Running windows XP. I started having problems yesterday at booting up. My first problem was a screen which told me I had a third hard disk failure at bootup and told me to press F2 to resume which brought up the BIOS screen. Going through all the settings I didn't see any problems so I exited and tried to re-boot. Went to same screen again so I decided to try the recovery CDs to fix who knows what. I start the recovery process with the strat up CD computer recognizes it and loads it fine, I get a prompt for the second recovery CD and after loading it I get an error message about partition size not available and I need to abort the recovery. I get upset, and just as I'm saying WTF it reboots on it's own, windows loads and I'm back to normal. I shut it down after a while and ever since then every time I want to use the computer I have to go through the same nonsense to boot up.

Is my Hardrive getting ready to die ?

Should I use the go back feature and try to revert to an earlier date of known good configuration ?

Should I try to use the Recovery CDs to restore back to factory settings ?

also during one of my booting sequences I received an error about a video card problem.

I'll try to get back on tonight, hopefully someone from the day crew can shed some light on this
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds like your harddrive is going bad or is already died
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
sounds like your harddrive is going bad or is already died

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Which hard drive brand should I be looking for ? I've got my case open and I don't see the familiar IDE cables so it must be a new standard. I have a small red cable running to my motherboard. What interface is this

ETA if I do install a new hard drive how do I get my windowsXP back on it? Sony did not package a dik of the OS with the computer, it was pre-installed
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
it sounds like its using SATA.   I would suggest a Seagate hardrive.  To get windows back on the system you will need to call Sony and order the recovery cd's.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
my sony uses seagate I had to replace a non seagate drive awhile ago!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top