Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 11:34:17 AM EDT
I'm going to buy a laptop in the next week and I've been trying to decide between two things:

#1 - a desktop replacement (AMD Athlon 64 chip)

#2 - one that will have long battery life (AMD Turion chip)

Here is what I know about the two chips:

The Turion chip will be a little more expensive and I'll most likely have to sacrifice some performance, but the battery will last up to 7 hours.  Also, I would be buying the machine from someone I know here in town and I will have to pay sales tax.

The Athlon chip will cost around $100.00 less, I will get superior speed from it at the cost of about 1-2 hours of battery life.  I'll be buying the machine from BUYXG.com, which means I will not have to pay tax on the machine (+ free shipping and a 5% discount).  I've purchased from this company before and they are top notch IMO.

The Turion laptop will cost me about $1,437.75, while the Athlon will cost about $1,230.00 - Is the Turion worth it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are on the go alot and need the battery power I would say yes.  Other wise no need to spend the extra money
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for the longer battery life.

Though the Pentium-M (Centrino) system will annihilate any Athlon or Turon sytem, clock for clock.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You're basically correct about the observations of the two chips, though 7 hours may be a wee bit high for average usage.  The one thing you didn't post is what type of use you're thinking you might do.  Are you going to LAN parties to play games on your laptop? Are you on the road a lot for work?  Do you do 3D modeling in SolidWorks?  

I'm generally not away from a power outlet for most everywhere I go, so for me, the battery wasn't so much a big deal (though I did pay an extra $40 or so for the bigger 9 cell battery over the 6 cell battery...or did I get the 12 cell?  Anywho, it was the highest option on the list).  

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I want a desktop replacement that I can take just about anywhere.  I'll be playing games on it, using it for homework, internet, watching DVD's while I'm on orders away from the fam, etc.

I'll probably get the Athlon

Quoted:
Go for the longer battery life.

Though the Pentium-M (Centrino) system will annihilate any Athlon or Turon sytem, clock for clock.

Maybe in terms of energy consumption, but if you're talking about operation speed I have a couple of friends in a processor design class who would argue otherwise.  I'll never buy another pentium unless they come up with a more efficient design than AMD.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The Pentium M is nothing like the Pentium 4's. It's MUCH more efficient than the desktop Pentiums could ever hope to be. If you are thinking about running Windows 64 or some other 64-bit apps, then definately stick with AMD, but for gaming and general use the Pentium M is a great processor.

Also check out http://Notebookforums.com. they have a coupon section where they frequently have coupon codes for dells and other laptops for 35-40% off! The Dell 9300 with a Geforce 6800go videocard can be picked up for $1200-1400 sometimes if they have a coupon that week. AWESOME gaming rig... but it uses a Pentium M.

Personally, I use an Athlon64 for my desktop because you're right it is WAY better than a Pentium4, but there's a reason the Dell XPS2 (basically a tricked-out 9300) keeps winning laptop shootouts...the Pentium M is different.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Pentium M is nothing like the Pentium 4's. It's MUCH more efficient than the desktop Pentiums could ever hope to be. If you are thinking about running Windows 64 or some other 64-bit apps, then definately stick with AMD, but for gaming and general use the Pentium M is a great processor.

Also check out http://Notebookforums.com. they have a coupon section where they frequently have coupon codes for dells and other laptops for 35-40% off! The Dell 9300 with a Geforce 6800go videocard can be picked up for $1200-1400 sometimes if they have a coupon that week. AWESOME gaming rig... but it uses a Pentium M.

Personally, I use an Athlon64 for my desktop because you're right it is WAY better than a Pentium4, but there's a reason the Dell XPS2 (basically a tricked-out 9300) keeps winning laptop shootouts...the Pentium M is different.

Yes, clock for clock, AMD chips dont even remotely stand a chance of outperforming a  Pentium M right now - best laptop chip out there.  Especially if you get it in a Centrino package.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top