Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 7:20:53 PM EDT
I just purchased my Mac Mini from Apple. 1.42, Superdrive, 80gb, 1gb of ram, basically to top of the line low end mini .

It ships in 2 days, I'll keep you guys posted. I'm tired of Windows, OS X is so addictive.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Mac OS is fixing to come out for PCs and the performance is better than on MACs and u could actually upgrade.  Cuz dont expect to upgradability with the mini
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Mac OS is fixing to come out for PCs and the performance is better than on MACs and u could actually upgrade.  Cuz dont expect to upgradability with the mini

You had to rain on his fucking parade?!  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
congrats. I look forward to your review.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm not in it for upgradability. In my entire history of computing, I have NEVER once upgraded any computer I own, I just don't do processor or video intensive things on a constant basis.

To me it was stupid while I was buying because I really want the G5s. The G5 towers start for about 2k right there, and I didn't want to shell that kind of money out for one peice of equipment, because I wanted to get rid of my CRT monitor.

I love the G4 systems, a friend of mine let me tinker with his G4 mirrored door. Amazing machine, so I searched for used models on eBay and local mac dealers as well. They wanted between 900 to 1300 for a credible tower, and they were used. I'm also really anal about electronics and guns in the sense that I'm not comfortable with buying used, because a seller most of the time wants to pass a possible headache on to someone else.

So I looked at the iMac G5s, not bad pricing at all. But in the event of the monitor goes bad, because every company lets a bad one go through eventually, you lose the whole computer to being repaired. Screw that. Same goes for the eMac, but it's aesthetics are horrible and not complimentary to Apples sleek design, plus it's a CRT, so not only would I be losing out a machine if the screen was broken, I'd be out shipping for a 40 pound machine back to Apple.

Then there was the Mac Mini, small, sleek and nifty. It's internals have a good line up for decent performance, 1.42ghz G4 processors are amazingly quick. And in every instance, was always cheaper than the used macs that I was willing to purchase.

and OS X for PC is like using an AR upper on a Fal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Three years ago a couple makers made some mini-PC's, but at $1200 and underpowered VIA chips, only a few modders got them.  Apple has a great little product with the Mac-Mini.  A good amount of power and a good OS makes for a great combo for the average home user.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
So I'm now posting on my Mac Mini. This thing is small!!! Hence the name. I had an issue with my internet connection, since I connect through USB port to the phone line, but that was to be expected. So until I get a new wireless router, I'm leeching my internet connection off of my PC laptop. This is a sweet machine though,  I'm in love with it already!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
OS X is not coming out for PCs.  It is being released on an Apple machine that happens to run an Intel chip with a heavily modified chipset (specifically designed to ensure you can't run it on a regular PC).  You will NOT be able to run OS X on your generic PC from comp-usa or frys.

That said, I love my Mac mini... (well, I got it for my wife, really, but I get to play with it occasionally).  It's a great addition to the family computing collection, though not as fast as I'd like.  One of these days I'm going to buy a nice dual processor G5 someday....  

(edited b/c I can't spell this late at night... :)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OS X is not coming out for PCs.  It is being released on an Apple machine that happens to run an Intel chip with a heavily modified chipset (specifically designed to ensure you can't run it on a regular PC).  You will NOT be able to run OS X on your generic PC from comp-usa or frys.

That said, I love my Mac mini... (well, I got it for my wife, really, but I get to play with it occasionally).  It's a great addition to the family computing collection, though not as fast as I'd like.  One of these days I'm going to buy a nice dual processor G5 someday....  

(edited b/c I can't spell this late at night... :)

You can speed it up some by getting a 7200 RPM 2.5 inch drive instead
of the stock 5400 RPM drive.
I think Fujitsu makes one.
More ram always helps too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#10]
yes Mac OS will work on PCs, its already been done
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yes Mac OS will work on PCs, its already been done

[rollseyes]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]
What you've seen running on PCs is a special developer version that was released by Apple to a small group of people who signed NDAs to get early access.  It's a beta, and someone did figure out a way to hack it (from what I understand it wasn't really protected -- they were hoping people would be honest), but the version that's released to the public is going to have DRM built into it to lock it to the chipset in the machine (Apple has made this very clear).  Sure, somebody will crack it, but it will be a hardware hack, it won't be supported, and it won't run on most PCs even if you do go to the trouble.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Makes you think, for all that trouble you might as well buy a genuine Mac that doesn't have hardware issues of cross compatibility, along with software being of different chip sets for the hack.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Makes you think, for all that trouble you might as well buy a genuine Mac that doesn't have hardware issues of cross compatibility, along with software being of different chip sets for the hack.

bingo...  :)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#15]
The versions of the beta OS X I've seen on "PC's" have been in a virtual PC environment where "hacking" the hardware settings can be manipulated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a mini to switch to OSX and I love it even my wife thinks it is cool too.  The software is where it realy shines.  Security is a very big plus.  It syncs with my ipods WONDERFULLY.    Wonderful machine that is truly a good buy.  I am a full convert to OSX now.  I am buying a IBOOK in the next week too.   Computing made easy.  

Good choice

James
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Jim, it is a kick ass machine, I'm photoshopping with no problems at all, and it comes with a good spread of software. I recommend it to anyone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Corporate Mac tip:

At work we're always doing presentations or going to see some presentation...and it's always on Powerpoint.  Powerpoint is pretty good and has become the standard in business.  But We've all seen every effect a dozen times over and it's pretty boring now.

When my coworker does a presentation he uses his Powerbook (just plugs it into the LCD projector) and makes use of Keynote.  Keynote is pretty good, but the styles/transitions that it uses are wayyyy different than Powerpoint so he gets huge kudos from everybody seeing the presentation because everybody is so sick of the stale Powerpoint stuff.

Top Top