Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 3:05:28 PM EDT
I was wondering what member's experiences have been with Newegg.com. I have used them twice in the last few years and both times they were spot on, quick shipping and no problems whatsoever. The reason I am asking this is that my older brother refuses to do business with Newegg at all based on some bad stuff that a co-worker of his heard from a friend. IMO this is a pretty thin lead to bash a company over. So I figured id ask what yall think about newegg.

What say you
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
4 out of my 5 purchases with them were flawless. On the other one, I got a bad dvd burner. Called them up & was given a RMA # with no hassle. I returned it and they shipped me a new one the next business day after they received my return. In short, great prices, great site (I use the customer reviews all the time), fast shipping, great customer service. I'll continue to use them. That's my $.02
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
generally the first and last place i shop...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother in law swears by them. And if its good enough for his OCD-IT at work- No Compromise- Mister research - builds all his computers and everyone elses at home too ass, its way more than good enough for me.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had great luck with them.  I've built 5 systems using all parts ordered from them without any problems.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
They are good , and I have bought tons of stuff from them
but every once in a while you will get something
that's been returned by someone else .

The three times it has happened with me there
were pieces missing or damaged . They RMA'd it
without question , but it still strikes me as a little
bit shady . Especially since the boxes were clearly
opened , one was sealed with postal tape and still
had the customers note in it
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had good service from them but I have had just as good or better service from Tiger Direct and on some things TD dusts their drawers on the price!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
T D can be cheaper, but usually that's only with some sort of Mail In Rebate. If you don't mind rebates T D has some awesome deals, but generally, I prefer Newegg.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes I have found better deals elsewhere, but Newegg has some straightforward pricing, good shipping, and they're good to work with if a bad part comes through.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been ordering stuff from them for 4 years and have never had a problem.

That being said, I will go to other sites if they can beat Newegg's price and check out on Reseller Ratings.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#12]
At work we've ordered from them about 60 times so far.  We placed our first order before they even had a web site.  A friend that lived in City of Industry, CA recommended them.  IIRC that was Feb 2000.  A few years ago they were great.  The shipped quickly, and the prices were the best.  Now that they've jacked-up their prices, they're not as good to buy from.  Also, we got screwed badly once by them for something we paid for with a company check.  The other 60 or so times we've ordered from them have gone fine, so we continue to buy from them, but if I find somewhere else that someone I trust recommends, I'll try them rather than buying from Newegg.  Newegg has lost a lot of customers with problems here and there and with their higher prices the past couple of years.  In my opinion, they're still the best, but they're not nearly as close to perfect as they were 3+ years ago.z
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

I ordered from them twice, and gotten screwed both times.  No more newegg for me.

Order one:  router and a couple of network cards for my parents.  CC charged immedietly.  Stuff actually backordered.  Two weeks later, CC charged a SECOND time when it actually shipped.  Had to call Visa and have them deal with it, the newegg people basically told me "sorry, the computer did it and we can't change it"

Order two:  compact flash memory cards.  Ordered three.  Two arrived.  Third one on backorder.  Needed the card right away, not "in 3-4 weeks", so I called to cancel the order for the third card. customer service says "ok, no problem".  CC never refunded for price of third card.  Visa involved AGAIN.

I've heard lots of good stuff about them.........three or four years ago.  Since then, I've heard less and less good and more and more bad about them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I love Newegg always had great service with them, not one problem always ship on time!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Newegg's been great in my experience, except for one very major flaw.

I just ordered a Seagate hard drive from them. When I received it, I found that they had merely wrapped the drive in two (2!! what good does that do?) layers of bubble wrap and stuck it inside a box filled with packing peanuts. The drive worked, yeah, but I looked online and found that I was lucky to have received a working drive. Western Digital, Maxtor, and Seagate all have a big warning on their RMA page saying "DO NOT SHIP A HARD DRIVE IN BUBBLE WRAP, PACKING PEANUTS, NEWSPAPER, ETC." There were also a lot of stories on forums about how people received hard drives from Newegg that were DOA thanks to the piss-poor packaging.

Newegg is good if you're not gonna buy a hard drive.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh, I wasn't talking about the fact that it didn't come in a box like a retail. I know the difference between OEM and retail. I'm saying that the way they ship them, they're increasing the risk of damage to the hard drive. Ever order a drive from ZZF? The packaging is way superior. Hell, when I got an RMA for a broken Western Digital drive a few years back, the rep I spoke with specifically told me that packing peanuts are not good enough and that I would receive a "hard drive mailer" to send my dead drive in. Lo and behold, along with my replacement drive, I received a box with a plastic insert that was molded to fit the drive with no extra room.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I will not shop anywhere else for computer parts.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Oh, I wasn't talking about the fact that it didn't come in a box like a retail. I know the difference between OEM and retail. I'm saying that the way they ship them, they're increasing the risk of damage to the hard drive. Ever order a drive from ZZF? The packaging is way superior. Hell, when I got an RMA for a broken Western Digital drive a few years back, the rep I spoke with specifically told me that packing peanuts are not good enough and that I would receive a "hard drive mailer" to send my dead drive in. Lo and behold, along with my replacement drive, I received a box with a plastic insert that was molded to fit the drive with no extra room.

I just received a Seagate drive from Newegg with the plastic contraption you're talking about.  Maxtor always said you had to have 2 inches of foam surrounding their drives for RMA.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I only ordered from them once for a external hard drive case and i will be ordering from them again
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just received a Seagate drive from Newegg with the plastic contraption you're talking about.  Maxtor always said you had to have 2 inches of foam surrounding their drives for RMA.

Really? Maybe they finally updated their packaging. Yay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top