Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2005 5:59:48 PM EDT
I know as much about computers as I do cars.  I turn the key and it works.  Actually I know how to do a few more things on cars.  Anyway, to my point!  What is the "command prompt" and what is it for?  Are there special codes to use in it, what are they?  
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
As a normal end user, you will most likely never see a command prompt.  Command prompt is a hold over from the ol DOS days.  If you see one, you might see a :

C:/  this is called a c prompt.  You enter dos commands to do things like fdisk, format, edit, del etc..etc..
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
humm...interesting!   What can these command codes do?  how do i use them?
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
All you ever wanted to know about command prompts, but
were too drunk to ask.

Command Prompt
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks!  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how many people still know how to use DOS..
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They don't call me the batch file king at work for nuthin.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rule an ant hill dude.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thanks!  

If you are gonna go digging around in there you will want to have drinks nearby.
Don't do it sober......
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks!  

If you are gonna go digging around in there you will want to have drinks nearby.
Don't do it sober......

sounds like a good way to fuck up my computer...........i think not!  
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You rule an ant hill dude.

That begs the question... is it better to be the big fish in the small pond, or the small fish in the big pond?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
the command prompt can still be very useful, especially the commands that can go recursively through sub directories
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

YOU ARE THE BATCH FILE KING DUDE!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
the command prompt can still be very useful, especially the commands that can go recursively through sub directories

Seriously.

It's kickass for W2k/W2k3 Backups, and all kinds of other administrative bullshit.  Some off the touchy feely GUI shit is garbage in W2k.  The command line really gives you control over some of the otherwise shitty GUI tools.

:: JUSTIN XXXXXXXX - XXXXXX IT SUPPORT - 2/18/05
:: FILE USED TO BACKUP REMOTE FILE SERVERS WITH STAND ALONE DLT DRIVES
:: THIS FILE WILL BACKUP OVER **ANY** TAPE IN THE DRIVE
:: LAST MODIFIED - 2/21/05

@ECHO OFF

:: PARSE THE DATE AND TIME TO BUILD TAPE NAME
for /f "Tokens=1-4 Delims=/ " %%i in ('date /t') do set dt=%%i-%%j-%%k-%%l-
for /f "Tokens=1" %%i in ('time /t') do set tm=%%i
set tm=%tm::=%
set dtt=%dt%%tm%

:: RUN THE BACKUP!
NTBACKUP backup @C:\BACKUPS\daily.bks /P "DLT" /N "%dtt%" /D "Full Backup" /V:yes /R:no /L:s /M normal /HC:on /um

Parses a text file for the backup directories... done.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Veritas is the way to go for backups in my opinion, at least in our situation it is.  Not very fond of using scripts to back up 250 GB's each night.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Veritas is the way to go for backups in my opinion, at least in our situation it is.  Not very fond of using scripts to back up 250 GB's each night.

Where's your sense of adventure?
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where's your sense of adventure?

In about 4 advils.  LOL
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Since DOS 1.0
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

probably not many.
even I've lost some of my edge with dos
my first PC was running dos 6.2 and had win 3.1 although I rarely actually went into windows, so I had to learn dos
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As a normal end user, you will most likely never see a command prompt.  Command prompt is a hold over from the ol DOS days.  If you see one, you might see a :

C:/  this is called a c prompt.  You enter dos commands to do things like fdisk, format, edit, del etc..etc..

C:\ not C:/

\ is DOS, / is Unix/other.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

microsoft is  trying to do away with DOS, notice that they don't even call it MS-DOS anymore?

if you really like it, install FreeDOS on a partition.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#22]
FYI: for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (and beyond) all functions that are available in the GUI are available at the command line (cmd.exe).

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 compliant programs(i.e. those that have the "Made for Windows..." sticker) are also fully supported at the command line. This makes remote administration MUCH simpler.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
FYI: for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (and beyond) all functions that are available in the GUI are available at the command line (cmd.exe).

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 compliant programs(i.e. those that have the "Made for Windows..." sticker) are also fully supported at the command line. This makes remote administration MUCH simpler.

yeah, but do they have poorly written man pages???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top