Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 9:07:45 AM EDT
Somehow WinAmp got set to be the default media player on the XP Pro machine I use. How do I change the default player back to Windows Media Player?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
This might work, I haven't tried it...

Start Media Player: For me it's under Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment

In Media Player select Tools -> Options -> File Types

Select which file types (or all) for which to be the default player.

Unfortunately, I'm using the DRM'ized version of WMP 9.0. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
This might work, I haven't tried it...

Start Media Player: For me it's under Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment

In Media Player select Tools -> Options -> File Types

Select which file types (or all) for which to be the default player.

Unfortunately, I'm using the DRM'ized version of WMP 9.0. YMMV.

No workie, sporkie.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Open Winamp>Options>Preferences>File Types>None and uncheck Restore file associations at Winamp start-up.  Under Winamp agent>Uncheck Maintain file associations.

Open Windows Media Player (I have version 10 so this may not be the same if you have an older version) >Tools>Options>File Types>Select All.

If there is a file you want to open with another program then uncheck it in the file type in Windows Media Player list.  Such as an MP3 that you want opened with Winamp.  Uncheck it in WMP and go and check it in File type in Winamp.  If you just want to open a file with another program once you can right click the file>Open With>Choose the program to open the file.  When the "Open With" box opens you can also check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top