Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2022 4:58:43 PM EDT
Mother in law purchased the house next to ours.  Our neighborhood is in a black hole for internet options.  We got lucky and have had Starlink for about the past year and it's rocked our world compared to before.

MIL is getting on the waiting list for Starlink, but until then I figured she can just share ours.  Going to beam from our house to hers.  Ground level, clear line of sight, approx 350 feet.  For those of you in the know, I'm curious which pair of antenna would be the best value for this application.  I know ubiquiti makes good stuff, but I'm not sure if I need to step up to their dishes for this application or if a couple of the wire-mesh things from a big box store will suffice.  This is going to be a temporary solution, so trenching and running copper isn't a consideration.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple of Ubiqiti Nano stations should work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

This goes 200 feet for me with strong signal, even through some branches. Would buy again.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Came here to suggest Ubiquiti Point to Point solution.

unifi all the things.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm here for the Unifi gang bang as well.

Seriously, this is the way. Those Nano beams are cool and easy to set up and monitor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm running to 5AC's with 500mm dishes.  I get about 400mbit over a 3.2 mile line of site shot.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Mikrotik Wireless Wire Cub60G kit. Goes about 500 yards at gigabit full duplex. It's plug and play, comes from Mikrotik preconfigured and paired and all you have to do it plug them in and align them.

I'm not a fan of Ubiquiti. I've never really been a fan of the UniFi product line (which AirMAX is not UniFi) and the quality of the AirMAX products has plummeted over the last decade. I've done some decently long shots with them such as a 19 mile shot at 78 Mbps using Rocket M5's (my best unlicensed shot was 150 Mbps at 36 miles using Mimosa B5c's and best licensed shot was 200 Mbps at 54 mile using Aviat Eclipse/IRU600's) but I've found their integrated antenna designs to be fairly poor (not what they claim at least) and the hardware is extremely prone to interference. That being said, I do keep a set of Rocket M5's as test radios for when I need to simulate a sub 100 Mbps link (I also have a set of Mimosa C5x's for the same purpose).
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A couple of Ubiqiti Nano stations should work.
View Quote

That's what I'd use in this case.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I need to get wifi 750 feet to my camper from in-laws house. Will this work? Do I need 2 of them? I have a power source I can use at about 500', not a direct line, then it would be about 300 feet to the camper.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I need to get wifi 750 feet to my camper from in-laws house. Will this work? Do I need 2 of them? I have a power source I can use at about 500', not a direct line, then it would be about 300 feet to the camper.
View Quote

I set up a P2P bridge for my brother with nanostation M2s (IIRC) about 8 years ago. 1200 feet distance, shooting through slight tree obstructions (just a few trees in the neighbor's yard, not a forest). He never mounted the antennas outside like I suggested, nor did he aim them. They're just propped in windows of his 2 structures he wants connected pointing roughly in the direction of the other building. It is still working great for him.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I set up a P2P bridge for my brother with nanostation M2s (IIRC) about 8 years ago. 1200 feet distance, shooting through slight tree obstructions (just a few trees in the neighbor's yard, not a forest). He never mounted the antennas outside like I suggested, nor did he aim them. They're just propped in windows of his 2 structures he wants connected pointing roughly in the direction of the other building. It is still working great for him.
View Quote

That's what I did too. One is in the attic and the other is at the workshop window facing out. Works great and I don't have worry about grounding them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This goes 200 feet for me with strong signal, even through some branches. Would buy again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm using them to go approx. 1 mile, with excellent performance.

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So my wife bought one of these LBE 5AS 5 GHx airMAX posted earlier, after I showed her this thread.
Can Someone please give me a dumbed down highlights version if how to use it?
From my above post I am trying to get about 750' direct line of site to my camper from my in-laws house. Sounds like I need to get another one?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So my wife bought one of these LBE 5AS 5 GHx airMAX posted earlier, after I showed her this thread.
From my above post I am trying to get about 750' direct line of site to my camper from my in-laws house. Sounds like I need to get another one?
View Quote
It takes two to tango!
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, you need two. Pro-tip - configure them and make sure they work as a pair in close proximity before you go climbing ladders and installing them.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/205142890-airMAX-How-to-Configure-a-Point-to-Point-Link-Layer-2-Transparent-Bridge-
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Just ordered a pair of the NanoBeams.  From what I found, the NanoBeams have better processors and more memory than the LiteBeams, so I decided to give them a try.

https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-devices/products/nanobeam-5ac-gen2
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:57:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Got it installed and setup.  The mother in law (bought the house next door) is now able to piggyback off of our Starlink until it's available for her.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Sweet
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I use TP-Link CPE210 through thick foliage to get to my Ring cam, about 150 ft away, works great and cheap solution!

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got it installed and setup.  The mother in law (bought the house next door) is now able to piggyback off of our Starlink until it's available for her.  Thanks!
View Quote
It's been about 3 weeks now.  The piggyback setup has been working great.  We can't even tell someone else is using our Starlink bandwidth, and they've been having 0 issues in their house with phones, tablets, TV's, Xbox, etc.  They're even watching my Plex library now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's been about 3 weeks now.  The piggyback setup has been working great.  We can't even tell someone else is using our Starlink bandwidth, and they've been having 0 issues in their house with phones, tablets, TV's, Xbox, etc.  They're even watching my Plex library now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AirMax is pretty rugged. I usually have to restart my Unifi gear every 30 or so days, mainly for updates but sometimes one of my ac pro will lose its wireless uplink. My AirMax PtP just stays up and running.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top