Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2022 6:36:36 PM EDT
I'm REALLY excited because of the leaked specs but I am ready to be dissapointed exactly the way I have been about  video cards the last two years.

Video cards for most the last two years ====  specs are great, availability sucked a bigone but worse was the much higher than retail prices on just any desirable video card.

I am hoping on decent availability of the new socket 5 Ryzen cpu's and motherboard's but I really expect more of the same in that everything will be overpriced and hard to get.

Just might get a Ryzen 5950X to replace my 3700X and just wait until things get mostly back to normal before I upgrade to AM5.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm committed to my current system, which supports no higher than the Ryzen 5000 series for at least the next few years. Might upgrade to a 5900 or 5950 if I feel a need for more cores.

It's not that I can't afford to buy another complete new system, but that I don't need to, therefore don't particularly want to.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm REALLY excited because of the leaked specs but I am ready to be dissapointed exactly the way I have been about  video cards the last two years.

Video cards for most the last two years ====  specs are great, availability sucked a bigone but worse was the much higher than retail prices on just any desirable video card.

I am hoping on decent availability of the new socket 5 Ryzen cpu's and motherboard's but I really expect more of the same in that everything will be overpriced and hard to get.

Just might get a Ryzen 5950X to replace my 3700X and just wait until things get mostly back to normal before I upgrade to AM5.

View Quote

I built a 5900X paired with 32gigs of RAM and a 3080.  I plan to skip the initial release of AM5, DDR5 and 40 series GPUs.  NEW gens comes with bugs and sky high cost, no thanks.   I figure my current system will hold me over for a good while!  Allowing the market to saturate with DDR5, 40s cards and get the bugs works out of AM5.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting take. Here's mine:

This upcoming generation is going to be the most interesting in a long while. Intel has turned up the heat considerably with Alder Lake, and we can fully expect Raptor Lake to bring further improvements. At the same time, the 5950X soundly defeats the 12900K when cranked up to use similar levels of power. AMD has announced that for Zen 4, they'll be doing increased power usage by default (although not to the same extent).

Also, the GPU shortage is really coming to an end. For CPUs, the 5950X is sitting at $540 or somesuch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This upcoming generation is going to be the most interesting in a long while. Intel has turned up the heat considerably with Alder Lake, and we can fully expect Raptor Lake to bring further improvements. At the same time, the 5950X soundly defeats the 12900K when cranked up to use similar levels of power. AMD has announced that for Zen 4, they'll be doing increased power usage by default (although not to the same extent).

Also, the GPU shortage is really coming to an end. For CPUs, the 5950X is sitting at $540 or somesuch.
View Quote

Yep and will probably get one soon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep and will probably get one soon.
View Quote

Gopher it. I'm sitting here with a 3950X that's very, very much in the "good enough" category for what I do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I figure it'll be a marginal improvement. Set your expectations low and you'll do better.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Literally. They can't get their TDP under control to save their lives.

I'm far from a pundit but unless they have a breakthrough that brings x86 on par with ARM, they're in for a world of hurt in the consumer space.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll be completely indifferent, as I'll be skipping the next gen completely. Running a 5900X which should get me past the next one.

I'll let them sort out the hiccups with the new platform and wait for DDR5 prices to drop. Also want to see what happens with PSUs. Next gen is gonna be basically a completely new build.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I always skip the first generation of any platform.

Got the Ryzen 5950X at Microcenter fairly cheap. My 3900X is now in my plex server.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a 5600G for $187. It's not the fastest 5k series Ryzen but it's faster than the 2700 I'm using now. Also upgraded to a 550B chipset MB.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Be prepared for me Ryzens to be unobtanium. Intel essentially purchased a year of TSMC 3nm production capacity. Intel knows AMD is dependent on TSMC thus they made sure to cripple AMDs ability to manufacture at scale at that level. Intel has fuck you money put aside for AMD and is using it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Be prepared for me Ryzens to be unobtanium. Intel essentially purchased a year of TSMC 3nm production capacity. Intel knows AMD is dependent on TSMC thus they made sure to cripple AMDs ability to manufacture at scale at that level. Intel has fuck you money put aside for AMD and is using it.
View Quote

AMD was their largest customer for 7nm once Apple moved to 5nm.  AMD booked their initial 5nm order a couple of years ago.
Intel has to pay through the nose to even get any sort of capacity as it is... let alone booking up the entire supply of 3nm which is unlikely since Apple will get first dibs.
Plus, Intel is not a long term customer and future contracts are an unknown and Intel is attempting to directly compete against TSMC.
On top of that, Zen4 is on 5nm and Zen5 could be either 5nm or 3nm and coming in 2024. By 2024, TSMC's 3nm will have been in mass production for about 1.5years and an Enhanced version of the node is planned. So the people that bought the initial 3nm supply would likely be moving to N3E or getting ready for 2nm in 2025 since that should be a big improvement with both Intel and TSMC moving to GAAFET, gate all-around transistors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top